Tales of the Village - the bizarre economics of the local store

@boiboing (12881)
Northampton, England
We have a small supermarket in the village. Technically speaking, it would be classified as a 'convenience store' in UK retailing terms which means that it's beneath a threshold square footage which enables it to open extended hours, including Sundays and bank holidays. It's part of a national retail chain - not the big four, but the next tier. They have an ongoing promotion on bread rolls which we regularly use. The rolls are 49 pence each or - wait for it - four for a pound. I think you'd admit that's a pretty good deal - especially since they aren't just boring white rolls. They have ones with pumpkin seeds, cheesy ones, brown ones with multi grains and so on. In the evening the price goes down to clear the stock. Today they were selling them off for...... 29 pence each. Hmm, so the product I planned to buy at four for a pound was marked 'down' to cost me four for £1.16. Not only old but also more expensive. I suggested to hubby that he just tell the check out girl he wanted them at the regular price - and maybe they would have agreed - but the line is so long that if she said no, we weren't in the mood to go back. So he picked up a pack of four less exciting rolls for 89p. There is no logic in this. That is all.
@Ruby3881 (1997)
Grocery stores do this sort of thing all the time! Lots of people will get caught because they see the regular per unit price go down, and don't realize that if they'd bought four at the regular price it was less expensive.
@pgntwo (22587)
• Tripoli, Libya
One of the big 4 paid you to take their vegetables: tomatoes, 1.80 a pack, or two for 2.00, a discount of 1.60. After markdown at end of day, 60p a pack, but buy 2 for 1.20 and get 1.60 back...
@boiboing (12881)
• Northampton, England
It's all very strange
@pgntwo (22587)
• Tripoli, Libya
@boiboing "Computer says...", I suspect. Our local convenience Spar regularly attempts to charge over the odds for fresh packaged bread, as the distributor marks the price down from 1.49 to 1.09, using a sticker on the package, when stocking the shelves, but the barcode still reads the original shelf price at the till. Dodgy!
Now that is odd. Apparently the words "marked down" throws all customer logic out the window.
@boiboing (12881)
• Northampton, England
You have to keep your wits about you when dealing with non-bargains.
@pgntwo (22587)
• Tripoli, Libya
@boiboing And be prepared to speak up..
that's actually really odd.
Sounds like a sweet deal to me.
A lot of annoying things they do at the grocery store! One has to watch.
@WorDazza (10091)
• Manchester, England
I'm more intrigued that you categorise bread rolls by level of excitement.
Lol you are right, there is absolutely no logic. So they got rid of the 4 for 1 and replaced it with this 29 pence apiece? That makes no sense. Maybe they think they are being tricky and thinking no one was paying attention or was in the store earlier in the week to realize that they were getting gipped.