Is love truly the foundation to most relationships that are close to our heart?

I was reading some quotes from Chanakya Neeti the other day. Chanakya Niti is a collection of aphorisms, said to be selected by Chanakya, an Indian scholar, from the various shastras. It said that every relationship has a reason to it and the moment that reason collapses the relationship collapses. I then told my boyfriend that I completely agree with this and that I believe that every relationship has a selfish or a slightly self centred aspect to it and the moment the idea of that self is hurt or damaged beyond a point, persons would lose their zeal for that relationship. No matter how much in love you are with the other person, once you stop receiving what you want out of that relationship, you would want to get out of it. Does not mean that you act on it every time. But yeah you do become less motivated to make that relationship move ahead. I'm not saying the love dies. But there's some part of you that would want to get out of that relationship for your own good. My boyfriend seemed to think that this is too selfish a stand to take. What do you think?
@else34 (13641)
• New Delhi, India
@Curlybobby,Now I am not in a position to say anything against what you say,but don't know why,feel absolute love,purely selfless love is possible.For example,love between a mother and a child.
Yeah. But let's say the son does not give her any love or respect or care. I feel like the mother would lose the zest she has for that particular relationship. She would love her child, no doubt. But she would somewhere along lose the love she had for the equation between the two of them. Children ending things with their mothers is a phenomenon that is way too common today!
@else34 Well, I guess some things just can't be generalized!!
@else34 (13641)
• New Delhi, India
@Curlybobby Perhaps you are right.
@grvdubey11 (1882)
This is completely true, every relationship do have a reason to it. However the reasons can be positive or negative. For example for someone reason to be in relationship is their partner is mature and rational , now if these qualities are gone relationship would end. For some reason to be in relationship is money or power their partner possess, once that is gone relationship ends.
Exactly my thoughts!!