Top 10 Songs by The Cure #2 - "Purple Haze"

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Back in 1993, some major names signed on to contribute covers of Jimi Hendrix songs for a Hendrix tribute CD, Stone Free: A Tribute to Jimi Hendrix. We're talking heavy hitters like Eric Clapton, Pat Metheny, Jeff Beck, and Buddy Guy. Most of the artists did what bands should do when covering a tune: do something different with it and make it their own. Enter British post-punk band The Cure, and their rendition of possibly Hendrix's most popular song, "Purple Haze." The Cure's rendition is so wildly different that, unless you pick up on some Hendrixian guitar riffs at the beginning, or recognize the lyrics, you might not realize that it's actually "Purple Haze." The Cure's cover peaked at #2 on Billboard Magazine's Modern Rock Tracks chart, and received regular jukebox play at a bar I used to frequent, a bar with a totally classic rock crowd that I was surprised would play any Cure on the jukebox. But there it was, playing on a nightly basis. It's that good a remake. In addition to Stone Free, "Purple Haze" is available on The Cure's Join the Dots B-Sides and Rarities, and the Complete B-Sides compilation's. This Top 10 Songs thing was started by @JohnRoberts, with heavy participation by myself and @FourWalls. Feel free to pick a band for your own Top 10. After all, the more the merrier!
Skip navigation UploadSign inSearch Loading... Close Yeah, keep it Undo Close Watch QueueQueueWatch QueueQueue Loading... Watch Queue Queue __count__/__total__ Loading... Find out whyClose Wahb Drissi SubscribeSubscribedUnsubscribe7575 Loading... Loading.
Never was a Cure fan, and honestly, this is one song I always skip when I play this album. The only reason I am even here is because of something else on this album...the song by M.A.C.C., which is likely the greatest Hendrix remake ever done. But yeah, I know, this is about The Cure. I just never did develop a taste for them. I'll give them their due, because after all, what they did was talented stuff, and I never diss talent.
I understand. The M.A.C.C. remake is great. I'm a Chris Cornell fan anyway, and that's a lot of talent right there.
@teamfreak16 I've thought Cornell would make a good substitute for Plant in Zeppelin since he doesn't want to do a tour with them. I've imagined him singing 'Kashmir' a time or two, I think it'd be awesome.
@Ronrybs (7392)
• London, England
I'm torn between Voodoo Chile and All Along the Watchtower
Excellent choices. I'm partial to "Room Full of Mirrors," as well.
@FourWalls (14716)
Yeah, that's no Jimi Hendrix sound. And, to me, that's good. I never "got" Jimi Hendrix.
This version is wildly different, that's for sure. To me, everyone should have to do a remake that sounds nothing like the original, of they're going to do one.
This I did not know. I am so used to Hendrix that this was weird.You are so right that this is so different a version. You have to listen carefully for the familiar words to comprehend it's not a Cure original.
I'm just glad they didn't do a note-for-note cover. Only Bauhaus doing Ziggy Stardust is allowed to do that.
Awesome song Jimmy Hendrix was a one of a kind and, I remember the cure a little bit from the 90's.
I know. They keep trying to tag young guitarist's as "the next Hendrix," which turns out to be almost a curse.