So, did you end up being what you want to be when you grew up?

Remember when we were kids, we were always asked what we wanted to be when we grow up and our parents would beam if we say we want to be a doctor, lawyer, etc. I am interested to know mylotters what did you want to be when you grow up and did you end up on that profession? As for me, I always wanted to be a writer. I was able to write a few articles here and there but never had the chance to go full-time. I ended up going abroad and having a totally different skill set but I am okay with it. Oh, I ended as a Personal Assistant to our Director.
@Shiva49 (9628)
I did not know what I wanted to become but wanted financial freedom which I managed to achieve - siva
that is good for you! I am praying for financial freedom too....
@Shiva49 (9628)
@funkeyguhl I feel all are entitled for financial freedom and should work towards it. But then we should keep our needs within limits. I find working all our lives is no way to enjoy life - siva
@Shiva49 that is true. I guess we should really keep our wants limited. This is something that I am guilty too. I am trying to challenge myself every time I am seeing something that I want, not need. This is true. I hope to travel the world with my husband when we do officially retire.
@boiboing (12524)
• Northampton, England
I'm still trying to work out what I want to be when I 'grow up'
@xFiacre (10489)
@boiboing I have absolutely no intention of ever growing up, and it must be true because my wife concurs.
@xFiacre this is funny
Well @boiboing when you figure out, let us know the steps on how you made it there, knowing and all, hee hee
@LdeL0318 (6496)
Going back to the autobigraphies I have filled in before I can see that my dream is to become a teacher. Well I am one now.
that is good for you then!
I think very few attain what they wanted to be. I certainly didn't.
That is very true most especially there are a lot of external factors as to why we did not end up what we dreamed about. Some are okay with it while others feel frustrated and carries it with them, day in and day out.
I really wanted to be an artist or writer whose 'works' would be made into a movie or something; however the better position for me was to understand the ins and outs of psychology, to help the sick people in the world get better by themselves without relying on a doctors script
I think you do have a better vocation but why not be an artist on your free time? It can be your from of stress reliever from your clients as well. Never too late to start . I have left my job and am now trying to get into the path that I want to go which is to be a writer :)
@funkeyguhl oh I still dabble and spend time drawing, sketching and painting in my free time cause as I said "a natural born artist' who just accepted that starving is NOT the way to go, so I found a better vocation
@enlightenedpsych2 that is great then! hope to see some of your works posted in mylot!
@blitzfrick (2996)
Not at all. I wanted to be a cowboy, like Roy Rogers.
and what are you doing now?
@funkeyguhl The position I retired from was typesetter. My degree is in journalism. I've worked in clerical positions, food service, and others. Never as a cowboy.
@blitzfrick I see. We do have the same degree! I wanted to become a writer for a newspaper or magazine but I was not able to do so because I decided to work abroad. It was a good run. I worked in the Admin field. Now, I am trying to go back and work as a writer. Hopefully, I get to write a book too!
Have not been there yet.Just a silly ole kid.
oh okay but what do you want to be when you grow up?
@Fleura (6215)
I had a whole series of things I wanted to be and I'm still thinking of more! I need several lives because at various times I wanted to be a teacher, lorry (truck) driver, astronaut, surgeon, archaeologist, vet (that's short for veterinarian for animals!), scientist, travel writer, architect, gardener... I have managed one of those and fitted in various others as hobbies, and some others I realised wouldn't be as much fun as the glamorous name suggested (astronaut for example).
That's a lot! But what did you end doing now? I think astronauts are cool though yes, it is not glamorous but it seems very exciting!
@Fleura (6215)
@funkeyguhl I have been a scientist most of my working life, now I work as an editor. I have a big garden, and I have sometimes worked on other people's gardens. I have taught various things in my time, and I have learned to drive all sorts of vehicles from boats to planes. So I think I have kind of done quite a few of my ideas.
@Fleura yes, it looks like it! It seems you have led a good balance of your life. You are an editor of what? Is it still related to your previous work?
@rina110383 (23069)
When I was a kid, I've always wanted to become a lawyer. Yes, I ended up with the legal profession. At present, I practice remotely and still requires application of one's knowledge about law. Previously, I used to work with one of the Big 4 Audit Firms.
how are you liking it so far? Wow! So what exactly do you do?
@rina110383 (23069)
@funkeyguhl I've been enjoying my remote jobs. I do legal consultation. I prepare pleadings (motions, petitions & other legal documents), draft & review contracts/agreements, write legal articles on topics of taxation & immigration, and do legal translation. Likewise, I write Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Disclaimers, etc. for websites & companies. But starting Monday, I'll be back with my previous Firm. They offered me a position (Senior Tax Consultant). I'll still be handling taxation & immigration cases. My remote jobs with Upwork will be scheduled on weekends because I have to work on weekdays.
@rina110383 Wow... you seem to be busy always? What made you decide to go back and work in an office? It seems that you are okay working as a freelancer?
@sol_cee (13598)
• Japan
I wanted to be a cashier, punching keys in a cash register. I still dream about it.
but what are you doing right now?