Some day we will be old too...

@vandana7 (63594)
I don't like to bring remarks that hurt somebody and perhaps the person who wrote them is regretting as well. All I say is, when we are young and mobile there are many things we can do. We can play with kids, we can go out for movies, we can go out for shopping or to parties. As we age, we start getting limited into ourselves. For different reasons, usually health. Then we have more time to kill and we have more time to think wistfully what we had or what we would like. Many of the things we wish are not expensive at all. But it is impossibility that makes them invaluable. So our mind gets filled with our health problems, and any hurt or love that we receive. Considering that we all will be old someday...I pray all of us are spared health problems. And considering that we all will be old someday, I wish nobody hurts the elderly or others who are mentally challenged or physically challenged, simply because they have more time to brood over it, and get depressed. Here is hoping everybody understands this.
I absolutely agree with you. There is no reason to hurt anyone else-no matter what their age is. We are all people and we all need love.
@vandana7 (63594)
I think love is major thing...how is baby? :)
@vandana7 Yes it is. He's doing good. He has his last test on the 19th and then he should be done with testing. =)
@LovingMyBabies Good luck with the new test for baby Julian.
We have to love one another no matter how young or old a person is . It's loving unconditionally .
@vandana7 (63594)
It is true. But older people need slightly more consideration because they have more time on their hands to brood.
@vandana7 Indeed , my friend .
• Riga, Latvia
@vandana7 totally agree with you. By lending a helping hand to the elderly when you can it makes their day and it makes their problems seem less.
@vandana7 (63594)
Even if we can't, we can at least ensure we are not hurting them..
@pgntwo (21630)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you...
@vandana7 (63594)
That one does not always work...but ..
@pgntwo (21630)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@vandana7 ... it's a start?
@vandana7 (63594)
@pgntwo ... No...we need to know a person better to follow that principle. I'd say 80 percent of the time it works, 20 percent of time it misfires badly. lol
I understand you perfectly, and agree whole-heartedly.
@vandana7 (63594)
Just felt the pain ..I have disagreements with my parent but if anybody disrespects him, or even hurts him, I can take on the world. lol. I agree it is difficult to talk to him though. He says he has leg pains. He is almost 82. I told him get one knee surgery done this year, and the other one next year. He says no. Later on it will be so difficult even for surgeons because muscles sag, reducing visibility and clean cuts, and recouping will take much longer. He does not listen. By the time he is 85, surgeons wouldn't want to touch him, and he would not be satisfied with the operation. Convincing elderly is tough but that is no reason for us to be disrespectful to them.
@vandana7 My husband is 85 too - he had his knee replaced a couple of years ago, but he didn't argue about it.
@vandana7 (63594)
@jaboUK .. My father is "mission impossible" when I have to convince him. :(
@shshiju (10373)
• Cochin, India
Ya it is sure every one travels with the time. And the life circle eventually repeats....
@vandana7 (63594)
Scary but true...we need to keep our perspectives..
@shshiju (10373)
• Cochin, India
@vandana7 That's right . human values is important.
@dpk262006 (56110)
Yes, it is true that with each passing day we get older. If we are spared by the Great God, then we may get less affected by deadly diseases and if we are careless about our health, we catch up with major diseases and spend our life with the aid of medicines. I agree with you that we should respect elders and should empathize with them, considering that we will also land in the same situation after few years and we cannot be young all the time. Sadly, people (read youngsters) ignore elders and are concerned about themselves only.
@vandana7 (63594)
Deepu, I was reading something about the ratio of elderly population likely in 2025 and justification given for having more babies in India. I think by 2025 that would add more burden on the country considering that the nation would be carrying weight of elderly as well as under 10 youngsters. When such things are spoken nobody thinks. We would be making everything ridiculously expensive if we listen to such advise. And it is natural that youngsters would feel burdened. After all, they have to look after themselves, their child, and their parents, and yet work. Even elderly people should provide sufficiently and in a manner that it can't be forcibly taken away from them. That way financially, at least, they are not burden. They should also take care of their health so that careers of youngsters are not disturbed. Stress these days is more because of competition. So even if ladies have worked, they should accept that each younger generation has it real tough, and will continue to do so, unless major issues like population are addressed. The stress includes stress regarding safety. :( But nothing should prompt rudeness either way.
@dpk262006 (56110)
@vandana7 - I agree with your views that cooperation and respect should be from both the sides. Youngsters are nowadays hard pressed and remain stressed due to their jobs and they find it difficult to devote time to their elders. On the other hand elders always expect their younger generation to take care of them.
@karjatwala (1135)
• Pune, India
As long as one is healthy, you should keep yourself active doing all what you were doing when young. It is only when you start thinking that you are old and cannot do a particular job, old age sets in. So even if one is physically old, one should be mentally as young as can be.
@vandana7 (63594)
I agree..but sometimes genes trouble.
• Pune, India
@vandana7 yes for the age related illnesses, there is no cure.
@thesids (22359)
• Bhubaneswar, India
What happened, where, when and why? Who has hurt you? I know I am too young for understanding much of this... but then, many a times, I barely understand people just as they barely understand me. But for sure, I do never want anyone to be ill, suffering and even being hurt by others. I have ailments, sufferings and I know exactly how it feels.
@vandana7 (63594)
Not me...somebody else. But they have also resolved their problems. So everybody is good. :) Yeah..when sometimes I can relate to others pain.
@thesids (22359)
• Bhubaneswar, India
@vandana7 "Not me" sounds all good :) but someone else raises other questions... but now as the problems have been resolved, it is all good too.
You are so right and I hope most people understand this.
@vandana7 (63594)
The hurt magnifies because it has more room to fill. :(
@vandana7 (63594)
I too hope people do realize that.
• Peoria, Arizona
I think age does not limit what anyone can do. A 90-year-old man can climb mountains and be okay. Our bodies are all constructed differently. A 25-year-old can get cancer and the 82 year old is doing backflips. The 40-year old has a weak ankle but the 15-year-old is running 10 miles a day. there really is no sense to put age to anything. We can only do what our bodies let us. We are all built differently and no one should be discourage like that. Do I wish I could walk 2 miles and feel no pain? YES I really wish I could, I'm only 20 and my body hates me. I take good care of it but hey that is just what happens.
@vandana7 (63594)
Oh...I feel for you sweetie...I agree...sometimes genetics does not give us the right combination. I feel people should be sensitive.
• Peoria, Arizona
@vandana7 Yeah genetics really sucks sometimes.
@Drosophila (16719)
yep! Depression is ranked top 5 of the most serious illness among the elderly by the WHO! No joke.. we can always get there one day if not careful!
@vandana7 (63594)
It is sad. People need to realize that it indirectly costs them. Depressed elderly need more help with their day to day activities. Which means nurses and care givers have to help them out. Effectively, services of nurses become expensive. Because of such simple financial sense at least people should refrain from troubling the elderly or other helpless folks.
@Drosophila (16719)
@vandana7 yep..the knock on impact is not fun..
@nomus24g (22157)
Exactly...that's cycle of life, everybody has to pass through all these phases & hence should be empathetic & considerate when it comes to mocking people of either elder/younger age...a very valid point raised by you @vandana7
@vandana7 (63594)
They become more sad because they have time to dwell on it..:(
@garymarsh6 (13458)
Yes I agree sadly some people do not quite understand that you can not do now what you did when you were fit young agile and full of energy!
@vandana7 (63594)
And that leaves more time on hand. No way to work away those blues. :( All the more reasons to be understanding towards elderly folks. :(
@TheSojourner (17448)
It is so easy to become depressed as we start to have health problems or other issues that tend to make us realize that we are mortal. So often people become so busy that they forget about those who are growing older and often spend so much time alone. But, as we age we need to remember to stay active and maintain other kinds of relationships, because the younger family members are not always going to remember these things. We have to develop relationships and friendships outside of our family members
@vandana7 (63594)
Much depends upon age and stage. Sometimes people are away from anybody they have emotions for.
@Scindhia (1958)
• Chennai, India
Agreed. Many people on the contrary seem to think they will forever be young! God save them from their own foolishness.
@vandana7 (63594)
Now we have more knowledge about everything. That makes it easier for us to look after our health. Even so, being careful with words never harmed anybody.
@Angel_15 (678)
• Manila, Philippines
We should respect the elderly, but sometimes it's hard to when they don't deserve it.
@vandana7 (63594)
I agree..it is hard. But we can't be assured that we wont be doing anything wrong on our way to old age. Many of our choices are yet to surface. If we choose wrongly, we may also become folks who don't deserve it.
@mom210 (6696)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I understand it and as I age I understand it more and more. I dread the day I cannot do it all anymore
@vandana7 (63594)
Ways to divert mind get limited with age. Then the only way mind gets filled is with thoughts. :( Hopefully, they are happy ones.
We all need a reminder like the one you have given us. We all need to keep in mind to care for those who are at a disadvantage in some way.
@vandana7 (63594)
Indeed. Physically or mentally disadvantaged for whatever reason.