No wonder there are so many Metrolink fare dodgers

Metrolink platform
@Asylum (41436)
Manchester, England
I regularly see people walk onto the platform at my local tram station and board a tram without purchasing a ticket. There are also many people that I know personally who never buy a ticket, but travel into the city on a fairly regular basis. Inspectors are quite rarely seen. In fact I catch a tram in both directions every day and can go weeks without seeing one. I have also travelled long distances at times without encountering a single Inspector. The company does employ Inspectors, but they never seem to spread around or visit different stations. The only place I see them reasonably often is at Manchester Victoria, which also serves as a railway station. Today I noticed a vast number of Inspectors at Victoria Station. You cannot see them all in the above photograph because several boarded the tram to check tickets, but there were 12 in total. Surely splitting these into groups of 3 or 4 would be a more practical use of the manpower.
when we were there and remember Victoria Station.Of course this been many years ago.At the time things were running smoothly.
@Asylum (41436)
• Manchester, England
Depending on how long ago that was, the Metroilink may not have been there at the time.
@Asylum This was in the eighties I believe
@Asylum (41436)
• Manchester, England
@amadeo That pre dates the Metrolink which began early 1990s.
People escape rail tickets in our country. Tickets in trams, buses or metro rail are impossible to avoid. I'm surprised to know that it happens in England also!
@Asylum (41436)
• Manchester, England
It would not be possible to travel by bus free, but trams and trains are very vulnerable.
@Asylum yes I understand. I just wonder that people all over the world have the same approach, if they can cheat, they will do it!
@Asylum (41436)
• Manchester, England
@arundhatiwriter This is the problem, which the honest travellers pay for via higher fares.
There you go being logical. They must have their reasons, maybe safety. But it does seem foolish.
@Asylum (41436)
• Manchester, England
I can understand why they would not put one inspector alone on a platform but 12 is definitely unnecessary. Even when a tram arrives many of them have nothing to do.
@Asylum Is this place a hub, where they can get on different trams and go to other stations?
@Asylum (41436)
• Manchester, England
@ElizabethWallace Yes, but all the inspectors were non the same platform, so my ticket was not checked.
Is it because of limited budget that they don't hire more inspectors? Here in LA, you don't see ticket checkers because the cost of employing them is more than ticket fines.
@Asylum (41436)
• Manchester, England
I can understand that as a reason for the scarcity of inspectors, but placing 12 on the same platform is a complete waste of money.
@miniam (9372)
• Bern, Switzerland
We pay $150 if you dont have a ticket,@JohnRoberts really overpriced.If there were more people(at least 2 per train/tram)more people will buy tickets and they will not need too many inspectors.
@Asylum (41436)
• Manchester, England
@miniam The fine is £100 here, but with inspectors being so scarce it is not a successful deterrent.
• Portland, Connecticut
Wouldn't being practical be asking a lot of a metropolitan authority? I know it would here!!
@Asylum (41436)
• Manchester, England
There seems no point in employing inspectors and having them all working on one platform, especially when it is the predictable place to see one. They may as well just cancel the idea of fares.
• Portland, Connecticut
@Asylum But think of the unemployment!!!
@Asylum (41436)
• Manchester, England
@BelleStarr I am in favour of employing them, but at least make use of their services.
@Inlemay (16308)
• South Africa
You should become the Inspector Manager as it seems they are huddling in one place. Right on with your suggestion, it would most certainly work better.
@Asylum (41436)
• Manchester, England
It seems absurd to have so many inspectors in one place that many have nothing to do even when a tram arrives.
@Inlemay (16308)
• South Africa
@Asylum I agree
Twelve seems too many, I wonder if a couple were instructors and they were teaching the job to the others. Just a thought.
@Asylum (41436)
• Manchester, England
It is not the first time that I have witnessed this, which appears to be a standard practice.
@Asylum Very strange. I know that they are never alone on the trains here too, but never more than two.
@softbabe44 (6000)
• Vancouver, Washington
Here in Washington they have inspectors all over the place when you travel n Oregon you'll see them a lot of the time you'll ally see them at the moda center where the blazers play they are thick they are trained in ways that when they get on the train their shoes shuffle they get off the same way.
@Asylum (41436)
• Manchester, England
Inspectors serve little purpose if everyone can predict where they will be.
@miniam (9372)
• Bern, Switzerland
lol
Perhaps they figured out that they were losing money, but it's not rocket science to realise that people will take advantage of such a lax system.
@Asylum (41436)
• Manchester, England
Placing them all in one place will not make a lot of difference. They did not even ask to see my ticket because I was on a different platform.
• Pleasant Hill, California
As a teenager in Chicago, I knew how to "jump" the trains from the South Side to the North Side. I think we did it for sport, as we weren't short on allowance. Will you still associate with me, knowing that I was a soft-core juvenile delinquent in my day?
@Asylum (41436)
• Manchester, England
Are you given internet access in penitentiary?
I'm amazed that people can board a train for free and no one is there to check for a ticket
@Asylum (41436)
• Manchester, England
This was the tram system, but I have also travelled to the airport by train and never seen anyone checking tickets.
@miniam (9372)
• Bern, Switzerland
I live in a little quiet village,took a full year before I had my ticket controlled once, although I always buy a monthly ticket which my employer paid. This year my employer stopped paying,Jan,Feb, I bought a ticket,March 2 days after my ticket expired I had control for the first time in 4 years without a ticket,and you guessed right, I had no ticket, l was so angry they fined me $150(the normal charge if you don't have a valid ticket). So i wrote a complaint letter explaining why i may not have had a ticket and sent all the expired(always keep them and by good luck individual public transport number is written on them.My expired tickets helped,I only had to pay $40 admin fee. In my opinion it`s wrong to travel without a ticket,but what's the point of buying a ticket for 4 years and nop one bothers to check? When I travel to Zurich,train ticket from my place to Zurich is valid 10 days,so if I go and back and no one controls the ticket, I always use it again. I think trains should have more conductors so everyone pays a ticket.
@Asylum (41436)
• Manchester, England
The majority of trains here are without ticket inspectors, except for the long distance journeys.
Ha ? Is that as lax as that when it comes to collecting fares ? Here , you will but a token before you will get to go inside the ramp where the trains stops and opens its doors .
@Asylum (41436)
• Manchester, England
Tickets are dispensed from vending machines and all Metrolink platforms have open access.
@Asylum But why are there dodgers still . They aren't that honest to buy the tickets ?
@Asylum (41436)
• Manchester, England
@SIMPLYD A vast number of people are dishonest and will avoid paying if possible.
It sure would, and the trams would stop losing money to those who regularly ride for free hoping never to get caught without a ticket.
@Asylum (41436)
• Manchester, England
Some people travel to Manchester regular without even thinking of buying a ticket.
@Asylum That can't be good for the transportation company. You would think they would be losing money.
@Asylum (41436)
• Manchester, England
@just4him I am surprised that they show a profit because they are constantly renewing the lines.
• Preston, England
I think they like to be mob handed for when they catch anyone - I often see them leading suspects off and inspections are getting more frequent
@Asylum (41436)
• Manchester, England
It is hardly likely to require as many as I saw today, which usually occurs at Victoria Station.
• Preston, England
sometimes it is overkill @Asylum
@Asylum (41436)
• Manchester, England
@arthurchappell A dozen inspectors on one platform is definitely overkill.
@fishtiger58 (25070)
• Momence, Illinois
But then I have seen and had many bosses or those in charge that don't have one lick of sense nor do they do their own job correctly. So this doesn't surprise me at all.
@Asylum (41436)
• Manchester, England
It could well be the idea of some boss.
@fishtiger58 (25070)
• Momence, Illinois
@Asylum Yup I'm sure
@pgntwo (15876)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Perhaps they think there's safety in numbers...
@Asylum (41436)
• Manchester, England
That same statement would justify a large group of police standing together while the remainder of the city is left unattended.
@pgntwo (15876)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@Asylum Birds of a feather...?
@garymarsh6 (9947)
I guess they are trying to imitate buses. Wait for ages for a bus then three or more turn up!
@Asylum (41436)
• Manchester, England
They take the idea to the extremes. You wait several weeks to see an inspector and a dozen suddenly appear.
@Shiva49 (7152)
We have automatic fare collection gates/turnstiles that ensure fare collection as only one person can pass at a time. If some are able to dodge buying tickets then others who pay are subsidizing them and it is quire unfair - siva
@Asylum (41436)
• Manchester, England
Walking onto a Metrolink platform here is like walking onto a bus station.
@gudheart (13018)
LOL it was easier to dodge it a few years ago but not any more. I always get train tickets now as always check when I am on the train. Might be different for trams.
@Asylum (41436)
• Manchester, England
Trains do have more than trams because many routes can be paid on the train itself, thus justifying having a ticket collector.