St. Louis Doesn't Trust The Police

By Lola
@Lolaze (2862)
St. Louis, Missouri
I live in St. Louis, the city where Ferguson happened. It was 4 months of fear and unrest in the entire city and changed St. Louis forever. Today in north St. Louis there was a shooting by a police officer. According to police, a man fleeing a stolen car pointed a gun at police and the police fired back. The distrust of police here is so high that people are immediately questioning what police are saying. People are swearing the man was running away. Do I believe he was really running away? No. Do I believe people distrust the police so much lately that they wanted him to have been running away? Yes.
@Mike197602 (13375)
• Worcester, England
There is a distrust of the police here too. Not on the same level as in some places, such as in parts of the US, but it is a problem. We've only 43 police forces here across the whole of the UK and have no federal system so the majority of police here are trained to the same standard and adopt best practices of other forces very quickly. They are currently bringing in body cams across the whole of the UK. I'd say that'd be something all US police forces should be seriously looking at as it would eliminate a lot of this distrust. Whatever they do is on camera for people to see and for lawyers to look at.
@Lolaze (2862)
• St. Louis, Missouri
It is so cool to hear they are going to use cameras for the UK police. Good to hear!
@Mike197602 (13375)
• Worcester, England
@Lolaze They already are in many forces across the country. If they brought that in in the US more than what it is now I think there would be less distrust of the police...or more removals of crap police officers.
@Lolaze (2862)
• St. Louis, Missouri
@Mike197602 Its starting to happen across the US now
All are in danger is this distrust continues. I do think Mike's suggestion regarding body cams to be worn by all police officers would be one way to disparage those who make claims that are not valid.
@Lolaze (2862)
• St. Louis, Missouri
One big thing, which police ARE doing is connecting with youth and children. Its not uncommon to see a police car stopped and an officer or two shooting hoops with a group of kids or teens. Also, I think police need to go back to - at least some of them, sometimes - walking beats. Get out of the cars and walk around getting to know the people in the community. I met most of the Ferguson police during the protests and none of them were bad people. They were out there doing their job and just hoping to go home in one piece at the end of their shift. Most of the protesters (there was a trouble maker for every 20 protesters) were good people too. Ferguson was gas with a match thrown at it.