Retirement Job

Pattaya, Thailand
After reading a discussion from MysD regarding retired people who just fade out of life, I felt that I should write a little about retirement. I am not an expert on anything, but have 8 years experience of enjoying retirement! The first thing to remember is that retirement is just another job. Seriously! We are no longer forced by a salary or paycheck to get up early in the morning, and look presentable for our clients or bosses, but if we just sit on our butts we will just die off. My first six months (I laugh about it now), I actually got up in the morning and made a daily agenda. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, beach, shopping and on and on and on. Then one day I decided not to go to the beach and nobody actually came to my home and gave me a “pink slip” (termination papers)! The only thing that is very important to a retired person (especially if you are single like me) is to go outside every day. Look at people doing whatever they are doing, grasp the colors of the world and occupy you mind with everything, old and new, that you see! This will keep your mind busy and probable keep you going for years! This is only my idea and not backed by any proof that I know about.
• Eugene, Oregon
Sounds like a great way to live. I am retired with a very part time retirement job and swim, play table tennis and shoot some pool three or four days a week.
• Pattaya, Thailand
That's the way to do it James! As long as we keep physically and MENTALLY busy I think we will live a long long time! At least, that is my plan!
• Eugene, Oregon
@richnonai That is the good plan alright.
@vandana7 (64964)
Rich you don't watch TV?
• Pattaya, Thailand
Not too much, it seems to bore me. But of course I don't have decent cable and if I did, perhaps I would become glued to the tube!
I agree Richard, the retirement is a sort of job, you cannot sit and do nothing, this is the wrong way to enjoy retirement.
I am retired but I do occupy myself with things that I enjoy doing and I am not sitting all day whining.
I think it are right. It is important to retain an interest in something - anything really. Otherwise you'll just stagnate.
I feel seniors should give way to juniors to bask in the sunshine and take a back seat.