Do Not Forget Australia

Bunbury, Australia
In Australia, April 25 is a holiday designated as ANZAC Day. ANZAC is an acronym for Australian New Zealand Army Corps. While we were travelling in northern France in August 2015 we visited Villers-Bretonneux. On April 24 and 25 1918, German troops overran the town in a tank battle with the British. They then faced two Australian brigades in a counter attack. The decisive battle, which resulted in 2,400 Australian casualties, marked the end of the German advance in the Somme. Nearby, the Australian National Memorial stands as a monument to the many dead and missing who gave their lives. We found the name of Vince's great uncle, his grandmother's brother, who was in a field hospital when it was blown up. His body was never found. We also met a French woman and her four children. The woman brings her children there every year to remind them of the sacrifices that were made so they might live in freedom. But the most significant fact is that, at the school, the children are taught 'Do No Forget Australia'. The words are written in large letters along the front of the classrooms. L'Ecole Victoria (Victoria School) is named in honour of the state of Victoria in gratitude for funds raised to rebuild the school in 1919. Some of the street are named after Australian cities and there are numerous references to Australia. Between 1914 and 1918, 45% of Australia's eligible males signed up for war service. 10% died, 20% were injured and a further 20% were dead within 10 years. It is a very sobering experience to visit the little museum at the school and see so much Australiana. I guess I find it a bit hard to understand why there is so much emphasis on the Australians just in this one spot. I don't know of any other town that honours another nation in quite the same way. The photo shows Vince and I with the mayor. There was to be a book-signing at the school and the mayor was waiting for the author to arrive.
I think it is wonderful though that they do honor the nation of Australia and all who fought in the name of freedom. really wonder f ul idea.
Yes, I felt very humbled that they keep up this practice after nearly 100 years.
@Macarrosel (7541)
It's great to know about Australian holiday. Nice photo with the mayor.
We were lucky to be there on that day. Thanks.
April 25 is also an official holiday in Italy. It is called "Liberation Day", it marks the fall of Mussolini's Italian Social Republic and the end of the Nazi occupation in Italy in 1945.
I have a vague idea you told me this last ANZAC Day. Do you celebrate in any way? I think this year we will go to the dawn service in our town.
@JudyEv In Italy it is a holiday, of course we do not celebrate here in Switzerland.
@LadyDuck I forgot with my last comment just where you lived. I think my brain is getting tired!
It is rather touching though that something that took place almost a hundred years ago is still honored.
I can't get my head around it quite. I think the men were in the village for quite some time and helped with lots of things. And I guess if they saved the village from being occupied and destroyed... But there would have been many more with similar circumstances I would have thought. I think I need to read about it again.
That must have made you feel proud of your countrymen, Judy.
It did make us feel proud and very humble too.
@miniam (9233)
• Bern, Switzerland
Wanted to visit Australia when i was younger but the distance always stopped me,now i know i might never visit, i will need at least 6 weeks to make the most of it if i have to fly so far away and i only have 4 weeks holidays in a year and the 4 holidays must be divided into a minimum 2 holidays of 2 weeks then 2 weeks
Holiday restrictions like yours would make it very difficult for you to visit. Australia is such a long way away.
@annierose (18021)
Where are you from @minisam? I would like to visit Australia by next month if the embassy will grant my tourist visa.
@miniam (9233)
• Bern, Switzerland
@annierose Im from Switzerland.Philippines is not too far from Australia.I need over 16 hours from my appartment till im in Australia,too long.
@annierose (18021)
I am not an Australian but I will definitely not forget Australia. ANZAC is very familiar to me as I included it in my itinerary when I made it. I hope I can visit Australia by next month. It is the same here in our country. There are also dates in our calendar in which we celebrate heroism of certain people.
We are probably going to go to the dawn service tomorrow with is ANZAC Day.
@annierose (18021)
@JudyEv Good luck and enjoy your visit. I hope I can visit it too soon.
That's a wonderful honor for Australia. Good picture of you at the school.
It is so good of them to remember in this way yet it still seems strange to me. There are grave-sites that they keep clean but those doing the cleaning were only kids at the time. Glad you like the photo, thanks.
@JudyEv That's great they do that.
Very interesting and, nice picture of you all.
It was hot and sunny that day. I didn't think we'd have so many hot days.
@JudyEv It was really hot here most of last week too. Glad it's cooled down now.
Thank you for sharing this with us.
You're welcome. It was a special day seeing all the Australian references.
@ida123 (6237)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
It is good to know another interesting views of Australia, thanks for sharing friend.
We learnt quite a bit about Australia ourselves on this trip.
• Austin, Texas
I'm not likely to forget Australia. But it's even more unlikely that I'll ever travel to Australia. Fortunately, I have a friend who does visit from time to time and she can talk to me about it. Australia and also New Zealand are on my imaginary bucket list of "Places to See". Another friend of mine went on vacation to NZ.
It is a bit of a shame that Australia is quite so far away. I haven't been to NZ yet.
@DeborahDiane (23714)
• Laguna Woods, California
What a wonderful memory. I'm glad you got to visit that site and the museum. I hope you do read the novel "Light Between Oceans" one of these days. It tells the story of a man who returned to Australia after fighting in WWI and he has PTSD ... although they did not have a name for it in those days. It is an interesting story.
I have made a note of the title of the book. My great uncle came back with shell-shock and another only lived a little while after being shipped back home.
@epiffanie (10404)
That's very touching that they honour the memory ..Lovely photo
Thanks. It was strange to think they are still honouring these brave men in this way.
@Dena91 (4631)
It's good to have memorials set up to remind us of our history, to remember those who gave that we might have our freedoms. When we travel we try to locate memorials like this. It's amazing how many there are. I'll never forget going to Gettysburg, Pennsylvania as a kid. There was a large monument with the names of those lost in battle there, both from the Confederate and Union armies. I remember how quite everyone became when the park ranger was talking about that battle, one of the worst of the entire war. Have a blessed evening
I can imagine going to Gettysburg would evoke similar feelings. There were just row after row of crosses and list after list of names. And even more sobering - many of the crosses had 'known only to God' on them.
Yet another interesting thing I've learned today on this site. Thanks!
I'm always learning stuff here. Glad you enjoyed it.
I watched the TV mini-series ANZAC Girls about the nurses serving at the front. I have also seen Gallipoli.
I thought the mini-series was very well done.