Like Jazz?

Boise, Idaho
I am fascinated with serial killers. I guess I have a morbid curiosity. What makes them do what they do? Oh, I know about the psychopathic tendencies, humans being fantastical pawns in their demented minds, but, I mean what happened to make them go over the edge. Unlike multiple personality does it come from a traumatic break in their youths? I am curious. But, here is one that is too odd not to go on about. The Axeman of New Orleans. This madman operated from May 1918 until he vanished in October 1919. Odd huh? He wrote a letter that was published in the city paper stating that he would not harm those who played jazz in their homes. He was said to have murdered 11 people. A man by the name of Joseph Mumfre was possibly the murderer. The widow of the last victim, having witnessed a man leaving the scene of her husband's murder, dressed in black, confronted Mumfre and shot him. The murders ceased after that. **Footnote** On November, 26,1947 a man by the name of Jake Bird was convicted of first degree murder in Washington State after brutally killing a mother and daughter with an axe. This was in Tacoma, Washington. Bird was a drifter who was born in Louisianna. Some think he was The Axeman of New Orleans. Link below about him.
Actions Begin New Search Refine Last Search Cemetery Lookup Add Burial Records Help with Find A Grave Find all Birds in:  ? Walla Walla Prison Cemetery  ? Walla Walla  ? Walla Walla County  ? Washington  ? Find A Grave Top Contributors Success Stories Comm
It makes you wonder about some people. Interesting article.
Sure does.
ohmy that gives me the shivers as my hubby told me a little about this Jake B ird as my hubby was born and raised in W alla Walla Washington anmd when we went to visiit his people many years back my hubby and Iwalked u p he street to the pris on we go to see this Jake B irds burial recores. this givesme g oose bumps lol
He looked like a sad individual. Goose bumps indeed.
@Teep11 (6445)
Sometimes we're curious as to why and how someone could commit such brutal acts. We may never really know.
I am very curious.
@Dena91 (3621)
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a fascination with serial killers. I don't believe we'll ever fully understand why a person goes that way. Interesting article. Have a blessed evening
Really makes you wonder doesn't it?
I have followed the TV serial Criminal Minds and lately another channel with real life stories. But at the end, they bored me. Even serial killers are all alike.
The end result is always the same. Yes, I watch those too. You might be talking about ID.
• Pleasant Hill, California
In case he's out on parole with his axe and his walker, I'm glad I listen to jazz in my home.
Oooooh! Yes, I am too.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@celticeagle Think I'll put on some Keith Jarrett right now, in case he's sunning himself in California.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@celticeagle I picture this 110-year-old guy with a walker and an axe.
• Eugene, Oregon
What a terrible tale that is. I am listening to jazz as I write some tonight. Diana Krall is singing "Peel Me A Grape."
There are some good jazz tunes with fun titles isn't there?
• Eugene, Oregon
@celticeagle Yes, and Dave Frischberg wrote Peel Me a Grape, and a great one called "I'm Hip" and a very funny one called "My Attorney Bernie." All on Youtube.
@JamesHxstatic ...There is a author of outdoors stuff that really enjoy. His name is Patrick F. McManus. He is hilarious.
@noni1959 (2594)
I too have a fascination with serial killers. From my studies,most are set by the time they are 7 years old and usually due to trauma in their childhood. They are sociopathic and without empathy and usually their killing has a pattern with something from their past. Like Ted Bundy killed many who looked like his old girlfriend who dumped him. I like reading Ann Rule books. I learned to read at the age of 6 so I could read my dad's detective magazines. He refused to tell me what was about the photos and I was determined to know.
Yes,I have been studying them for about forty-five years now. but my question still remains. Where does it begin? I guess in some cases they don't give the full case history so I am curious. All these psychological breaks come from a trauma of some kind early on. Ted Bundy killed the same girl over and over it seemed. It is fascinating what makes humans do the things they do. Thanks for your response.
• Austin, Texas
Unlike you I have no fascination with serial killers. Quite frankly I wish they could be spotted BEFORE they harm a person and put away. Sadly, that's why they are serial killers. Because they kill several people. Fortunately, some are brought to justice. Unfortunately, some are never caught. But I'm convinced of one thing. They're all sick in the head. Won't kill people who play jazz? That's sick!! I don't mean sick as in need a doctor. I mean sick as in evil! People want to explain WHY they killed by writing it off as a mental problem. Of course it is! You kill that many people and you expect your mind is going to stay normal?? You don't think doing something like that over and repeatedly is not going to warp you??!! It's a line that got crossed over. People who respect human life don't cross that line!!
Yes, agreed. Thank you for your response.
there is something, odd enough, that fascinates many (or there wouldn't be many popular shows on it). I remember that one, the jazz angle always made me wonder.
Odd and quirky for a psychopath.
• Preston, England
wow, very strange - glad I have some jazz music n my collection - he would have spared me
I love jazz so no problem.
I had never heard of the Axeman of New Orleans before.
I hadn't either until I found this.
This was a really interesting read! Like you said, it is indeed quite fascinating to think of what goes on in their heads when they commit these crimes. It must be an interesting psychological challenge to study and understand the moralities that these people develop and work upon.
I understand a good portion but not where they go over the edge. Where does that happen? And why?
@richnonai (501)
• Pattaya, Thailand
Interesting and glad you shared it. I also have a morbid curiosity about these things.
Looks like several of us do.