Tractors, Hercules and Birthday Parties

Bunbury, Australia
While we were at the music festival a fortnight ago we had some quite heavy rain. Our gravel road that leads to the house has washed out a bit so we put the blade on the tractor and Vince was going to try to grade the road a bit and adjust some of the drains. The tractor had a carry-all (tray-type attachment) on it so we completed another small job with that before removing it and replacing it with the blade. He parked the tractor in front of the house while we had a cup of coffee. When he went out again it wouldn't start. After several hours of tinkering and trying all sorts of things, he eventually got it going again. By then it was too late to start but he has finished what he needed to do now. Yesterday we also had to bathe Herc's eye (Herc is our pet sheep) and put some ointment in it. Shortly we're going to a 70th birthday party. Once we went to 21sts and weddings but now all our friends are turning 70. In July it will be my turn. I'm tempted to have a wake instead of a party but perhaps I should be careful what I wish for.
I am not far behind you, I'll be 69 in August.
69 doesn't seem nearly as bad as 70. I might answer the rest of these responses later. I'm getting depressed.
@JudyEv Yes, the even numbers do sound worse than the preceeding number for some reason.
Your hubby seems to be a very handy man. We should count our blessings as we reach various milestones in our lives. Some are not so fortunate. I hope Herc's eye is okay.
That's true. I'll try to be grateful that I've got this far. And I'm sure I'm taller than as I was as my feet are much further away than they used to be.
poor vince! i imagine that 'twas most frustratin' 'n i'm glad he got't runnin' 'gain. mine'll start, jest needs spendy new sneakers'n that aint gonna happen any time soon. purty please don't 've a wake! that'd sadden me deeply. instead, celebrate all the livin' ya've done 'n all that'cha still got 'head'f ya :D big hugs 'n i hope that poor herc's eye mends quickly.
I guess I'll just have a party. There doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm for a wake. It'd be a Clayton's wake. Have you heard that expression? That's the wake you're having when it's not really a wake.
@JudyEv lol yes ma'am, i've heard'f such. i reckon 't depends'n folks sense'f humor? i forgo birthdays all together, 've fer years.
@crazyhorseladycx Some of my friends are very devout but talk of having even a Clayton's wake makes them suddenly become superstitious and a bit iffy about it all.
Surprising how fast time flies! Enjoy the party! Your last two sentences made me chuckle!
I might have a Clayton's wake which is the wake you have when you're not having a wake. :) People could say nice things and we could have pavlovas and cheesecakes and a singalong to finish.
@JudyEv Sounds fun!!! Enjoy!!!
@allen0187 I wouldn't miss it for quids!
@MsTickle (24966)
There's always something to do on the land and always a good reason for stopping for tea/coffee. Hope Herc's eye is better.
That is so true. We would SO miss not having a bit of land around - but the time is getting closer. Herc's eye is okay but he is now blind in it. He has aged a lot. I've bought him some sheep pellets to supplement his diet but he is looking very old and tired. I will miss him so much when he goes.
@MsTickle (24966)
@JudyEv That's life I guess. We lose friends along the way as we progress towards our old age. i still miss Lucy (dog) who's been gone 9 months but I'm focused more on the good times we had now.
@MsTickle That's the best way of dealing with the loss of pets.
@Ronrybs (7075)
• London, England
For some reason I thought Herc was the name of the Tractor!
I should have explained earlier in the post perhaps. Most of my readers are pretty familiar with Herc now. He has featured in a few stories.
@Ronrybs (7075)
• London, England
@JudyEv I like the idea of a tractor called hercules
@Ronrybs The tractor can't be Hercules because Herc would then have his nose out of joint. You'll have to come up with something else.
you have a pet sheep? I haven't spent too much time around a sheep, what is that like?
We have always had at least one or two sheep. Herc is no trouble. If we let him out of his small paddock, he tags along like a dog and enjoys joining in with whatever we're doing. I think he'd like to join us in the lounge if I'd let him.
@JudyEv oh now that is the most adorable thing ever!
@Jessicalynnt He's lovely, isn't he? He is very special to us.
• Denmark
When we were young, we didn't talk about diseases when we met. Now I have to watch out to steer away from the topic in time so that we don't only talk about our ailments!
We're the same!! When ever we get together with our friends the talk is about how often we have to go to the bathroom during the night and how we're going deaf, etc, etc. We need to do what you do and steer away from such subjects.
• Denmark
@JudyEv I've had some nasty health problems during the last years. I've informed close family members and some friends. I had to confide in someone. But they know that my health is not a topic I want to rehash whenever we meet. I have former colleagues (men!) who ask me how I am hoping I'm going to ask them about their health. I always say that I'm fine and do not ask them back. I don't care if they think that I'm impolite. Better be seen as impolite than being snowed under by detailed descriptions of operations by people who aren't really near to me.
@MALUSE I understand that you would need to confide in someone. I would sometimes automatically say I was fine then think 'darn, I missed the chance to tell them about my sore foot or my cold or whatever'. :)
@Gabugs (1789)
@judyev Wish for beautiful things in life. And please stop thinking of negative stuff. Consider yourself young and beautiful, for that's what you are inside, out. So you live on the farm and have a seep as a pet? How wonderful!!!
It would only be a Clayton's wake which is what you have when you're not really having a wake. Everyone would say nice things about me and there'd be cream cakes and pavlova to eat.
@Gabugs (1789)
@JudyEv That sounds wonderful! I heard it for the first time of this sort of "wake."
Yes, you should. I hope the party went well. I'm glad the tractor got started again. Your roads aren't paved? Why would it be your responsibility to take care of the road. Wouldn't it be the city or county that would do that? Just curious.
We live at one end of 18 acres and the entrance is diagonally opposite the house end so the track on our property from the gate to the house is our responsibility. There is then 830 metres of gravel to the bitumenised highway. The council takes care of the gravel road and the state authority looks after the highway.
@JudyEv Well that makes sense.
@AnneEJ (5118)
• Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Quebec
When we lived in the country years ago, my husband had a tractor and he really enjoyed doing things with it. He hated to sell it when we moved to the city.
Vince loves his tractor too. It is never its fault if it won't go. :)
@AnneEJ (5118)
• Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Quebec
@JudyEv Men's toys, they do enjoy them.
Poor Herc, I am sorry he has a problem. My husband turns 70 next month, I cannot believe it.
I can't believe I'm turning 70 either. It just doesn't seem possible.
• Denmark
@JudyEv It is possible. I already know.
@norcal (3273)
• Nevada City, California
I have been to a couple of 70th birthdays. I will turn 60 this summer; when I turned 40 and 50 I had big parties to commemorate the occasions. I don't really have a plan for this big birthday.
I'd be just as pleased not to have a party but my friend says I have to! I know I can ignore her but I also know I'll enjoy it too so I guess I'll have something. As my friend says it's a big one (turning 70) and by the next 'big one' circumstances might be very different.
@miniam (9304)
• Bern, Switzerland
Lol, a wake instead of a party.I`d suggest not doing it even for a laugh.
No, it might be tempting fate. I'll probably opt for a party instead. :)
The last actual birthday party I had was when I turned 40. I'm sometimes in awe of myself that I've made it this far.
My sister and brother turned 70 eight years ago. That was bad enough. I can't believe it's happening to me.
@mom210 (5800)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Isn't it funny how that happens with machinery, our tiller does that sometimes, we use it, it is fine, go back out it is to tired to move.
It's crazy. How come it takes that exact minute to go bung?
I will be 86 on May first.This does not bother me at all.I loved it.That is a good age there.
You are very close to your next birthday. I hope you have a wonderful day.
I know what you mean, 21st birthday celebrations, 40th and 50th celebrations, and it all goes by so fast. Which indicates that we are living a rich good life. I hope that Herc's eye heals and gets better soon.
At least there are parties to go to!
@xFiacre (10364)
@judyev You might as well enjoy your own wake , see who turns up - and who doesn't. But doesn't life just keep getting better and more enjoyable after the vanities of youth have been punctured? My life's certainly better at 58 than it's ever been in many ways.
If I have a wake hopefully someone will say something nice about me. And there might be cream cakes after. :) As regards 58, I didn't take the time to appreciate being that age and suddenly I'm so much older.
@sol_cee (13157)
• Japan
You have a pet sheep. Are you friends with Mary (had a little lamb)?
Mary and I are good friends.