Saint George, Patron Saint of England

Saint George and the Dragon
@Asylum (46839)
Manchester, England
In olden days dragons did gorge On the flesh of the townsfolk each day Then along came our Patron Saint George In search of a dragon to slay When the dragon flew into the village In search of his daily food source Saint George would allow no blood spillage Except for the dragon’s of course The cheering for miles could be heard As that dragon he did bravely slay This happened on April 23rd Which is now known as Saint George’s Day
@garymarsh6 (12100)
Happy St. Georges day. I have left the dragon sleeping this morning!
@Asylum (46839)
• Manchester, England
I am assuming that it is still legal to celebrate St George's Day in these days of extreme Political Correctness.
@garymarsh6 (12100)
@Asylum Well if it is not then we should be militant and celebrate it ourselves!
@Asylum (46839)
• Manchester, England
@garymarsh6 I fully agree Gary, this is still England despite what the government seems to think.
Nice poem Barry, this is a day that I do not forget, because George is the name of my husband.
@Asylum (46839)
• Manchester, England
You should remind him that in these days of conservation he is no longer allowed to slay dragons on this day. They are now a protected species.
@Asylum I will remind him, the dragon is a protected species, he is not.
@Asylum (46839)
• Manchester, England
@LadyDuck Yes, we do not want dragons to become extinct.
We're proud to be Brits on this Day, Remembering George in the fray, We may be called quaint But my complaint Is that many no heed to it pay.
I say, any excuse to have a party!
@Asylum (46839)
• Manchester, England
I find myself very frustrated That this day is not well celebrated I cannot understand Why in this glorious land National Pride seems to be outdated
I have a very fine print of this.That I found at the flea market.St.George.
@Asylum (46839)
• Manchester, England
I like such items myself, although we do not encounter them very often.
@Asylum This is the print that I got.We had this for some time.
@Asylum (46839)
• Manchester, England
@amadeo Excellent. That is the traditional effigy used for St George.
I was looking at more info on St. George's Day and came across a wikipedia article on it. It's a bit peculiar as in this one little passage that I am about to post here? It says that it is "no longer celebrated" but the rest of the article contradicts that, and obviously your own poem here does the same. ""[1552] wher as it hathe bene of ane olde costome that sent Gorge shulde be kepte holy day thorrow alle Englond, the byshoppe of London commandyd that it shulde not be kepte, and no more it was not."" The above was taken from wikipedia, under a picture on the right margin. On a side note, there are several different fables of Dragons and the heroes that have slain them. I can't say that I have particularly heard of St. George.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: navigation, search For the 2012 British film, see St George's Day (film). Saint George's Day Saint George and the Dragon Oil painting by Raphael (1505–1506) Observed by Roman Catholic Church (see calendar) Ang
@Asylum (46839)
• Manchester, England
St George's Day is not as well celebrated as it was when I was younger, but there are still many of us who are proud to be English.
@Asylum I guess you could say that about a lot of Holidays really. A lot of our holidays here, meant to honor our veterans, meant to honor our president, honor our independence, etc? It's just an excuse to cook something different anymore, without remembering the real reason behind the holiday to begin with.
@Asylum (46839)
• Manchester, England
@ScribbledAdNauseum This is a trend in most countries these days and appears to be a global attitude.
@Inlemay (17333)
• South Africa
such a lovely summation of the way today became St George's Day - lovely poem Barry
@Asylum (46839)
• Manchester, England
Thank you. I just wish that more English people remembered our National Day.
Very nice, but were there really dragons in the Uk? Any archeological evidence to this effect?
@Asylum (46839)
• Manchester, England
No, but they do occur in the legends of China and Wales. Maybe George visited Africa and returned with an elephant's tusk, which would appear to be a huge incisor.
@Asylum I have ancestors from Wales, and one way way back from China. But I would have to see more than a tusk to believe in dragons.
@Asylum (46839)
• Manchester, England
@ElizabethWallace In that case you should be aware of the Welsh flagand the red dragon.
So he is the Dragon slayer .
@Asylum (46839)
• Manchester, England
Not any longer because he ran out of dragons.
@Asylum No wonder you chose asylum as your username .
@Asylum (46839)
• Manchester, England
@SIMPLYD The name Koalemos is also appropriate.
• Midland, Michigan
I'v'e never heard of this one before about the dragon and all. I read several versions of the legend just to see what you're talking about.
@Asylum (46839)
• Manchester, England
The story of George and the Dragon is quite famous.
• Midland, Michigan
@Asylum I read a story named that several years ago that I have yet to find again. It was a story about how a dragon ate George and then together they got rid of evil. I know it's not the same story, but maybe they took this story and twisted it to something new. Before reading your post, I didn't know it was that famous, or that it was from a legend over there.
@Asylum (46839)
• Manchester, England
@MarshaMusselman It is the kind of story that everyone here would be well aware of.
• Preston, England
slaughtering an endangered species - how mean of him
@Asylum (46839)
• Manchester, England
They were not endangered until George came along.
• Preston, England
@Asylum And Bilbo and the dwarfs too of course - they killed poor old Smaug
@euphie (590)
• Ballymena, Northern Ireland
I'm in Northern Ireland so I won't be celebrating - buy happy St George's Day to anyone in England. I'm guessing it's not quite the same as St Patrick's Day which is just an excuse to get drunk around here?
@Asylum (46839)
• Manchester, England
More English people probably know the date of St Patrick's Day than St George's Day, due to the celebrations that are held annually.
@euphie (590)
• Ballymena, Northern Ireland
@Asylum I can imagine!
• Portland, Connecticut
I guess we should just be glad St George wasn't demoted or the dragons might be back, or maybe they already are!!
@Asylum (46839)
• Manchester, England
I am sure that some husbands will believe that they have returned.
@Rollo1 (16693)
• Boston, Massachusetts
He couldn't get away with that these days. Dragons would be declared an endangered species and I am sure that swords would be considered dangerous weapons and strictly regulated.
@Asylum (46839)
• Manchester, England
It was not the dragons that were endangered in George's day but the villagers.
@Platespinner (18096)
It seems he was pretty thorough since dragon attacks seem to be a thing of the past. Should he be held accountable for the extinction of dragons perhaps?
@Asylum (46839)
• Manchester, England
I certainly do not have any complaints about the lack of dragons these days.
Thanks for the history lesson. I didn't know the specific day of the slaying was common knowledge - well, it wasn't common as I didn't know it.
@Asylum (46839)
• Manchester, England
George and the Dragon is a popular design used on such diverse items as Pub signs and Sovereigns.