The Line Of The Storm

@fishtiger58 (30383)
Momence, Illinois
About 6 years ago my husband and I were out fishing. To tell the truth I'm not sure what lake this is, but we were on vacation at the time. So some lake more than likely in Illinois somewhere. It was in the evening with maybe 2 or 3 hours to sunset. And a storm was moving in. It had been a beautiful day up until the storm moved in. You can clearly see the line of the storm and from my picture it looks like that line is almost perfectly straight. You can also see the sun trying to peek through the storm clouds and a reflection of that sun is in the water at the bottom of the picture. I'm sure those were the last moments we were on the lake. As soon as I see a storm heading our way when we are in that metal boat, I want off the lake. So I got a few pictures and we headed for camp.
A very interesting picture.
@fishtiger58 (30383)
• Momence, Illinois
Thanks I have to agree with you, the sky looked so strange that day, I remember thinking that the colors were odd.
• Portland, Connecticut
Oh yah, I am always amazed at how fast my husband can move when a storm moves in on our lake.lol
@fishtiger58 (30383)
• Momence, Illinois
Seems my hubby moves slower lol. He never wants to give up when we are fishing. I think his plan is to drive me nuts.
• Portland, Connecticut
@fishtiger58 My hubs is greased lightening when he hears any thunder lol
@fishtiger58 (30383)
• Momence, Illinois
@BelleStarr I don't mine the thunder, it's that lightening I want to get away from if I'm on the water. Get me on land and then the camera comes out me trying to get a shot of lightening lol.
If I even think I hear thunder we're out of the pool...on/in the water is no place during a storm.
@fishtiger58 My husband used to stay in the pool when it thundered until I threatened bodily harm to him if he continued.
@fishtiger58 (30383)
• Momence, Illinois
@AbbyGreenhill Why are guys like that? Sometimes I think they don't have one brain cell left.
Such a great picture, I love to watch the changes in the sky as a storm front gets ready to roll in.
@fishtiger58 (30383)
• Momence, Illinois
thanks so much, glad you like it. I do remember thinking how strange the colors were in the sky that day.
@mom210 (6449)
• Atlanta, Georgia
it looks just beautiful, it has been a long time since I have been on a boat. I need to go again
@fishtiger58 (30383)
• Momence, Illinois
We love to fish and have had a fishing boat since shortly after we got married 28 years ago. The boat has gotten a lot of use over the years. And now we are both retired so we do even more fishing than we used to. Thanks glad you like my shot.
@mom210 (6449)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@fishtiger58 what is bad is that we live near a nice little lake, we just have not taken the time to go. We need to just do it
@fishtiger58 (30383)
• Momence, Illinois
@mom210 Nothing more relaxing than a day on the lake fishing.
Fabulous picture, beautiful. it must be lovely to go fishing from a boat, though not with a storm coming upI
@fishtiger58 (30383)
• Momence, Illinois
thanks I'm glad you like my pic, yea we didn't stay long after seeing the sky, although I had to get a bit upset to get my hubby to leave.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Good move. Being struck by lightning is generally not healthy.
@fishtiger58 (30383)
• Momence, Illinois
Pretty much lol.
That's a neat picture with an apocalyptic feel.
@fishtiger58 (30383)
• Momence, Illinois
Thanks oddly enough I remember thinking how strange the sky looked that day. The color was all wrong.
It is a good thing there to get off the lake.With the metal boat?
@fishtiger58 (30383)
• Momence, Illinois
Oh yea I took a few pictures and high tailed it out of there.
@IreneVincent (16034)
My husband and I were on a lake years ago when a storm came up and it was very scary. I remember that well.
@sgbrown (1646)
This is a beautiful picture! Yes, it is always wise to get off the lake when a storm is moving in, it can be very dangerous! Hubby, our daughter and I had a close call one time. I will have to write about it now, thanks for the idea!
@fishtiger58 (30383)
• Momence, Illinois
Thanks glad you like my shot, and you are more than welcome for the idea. I remember that day and thinking how odd the color of the sky was at that point. And yes we see it coming it's time to get off that lake.
Awesome shot. I still remember back in the late 60s when mom wanted to go fishing in a row boat (we were on vacation) and naturally she insisted I go with them, I was so bored then the clouds started rolling in and it scared me. Wood you believe that it didn't phase my mom? I kept telling them that lightening strikes the tallest objects on a flat surface but they just looked at me as if I was over reacting. Oh, after that mom couldn't get me in a row boat or any other kinda boat.
@fishtiger58 (30383)
• Momence, Illinois
Oh my having a motor helps, but rowing is a long hard deal. Takes forever to go just a short distance. Thanks glad you like my shot.
At the time I would've been happy if we'd had a motor on that thing @fishtiger58 thankfully the little lake we were at in NM wasn't as big as those in IL so we did get back to shore before the worst part of those clouds completely covered that lake. hummmm, I'm guessing that it would be more of a pond by your standards
@fishtiger58 (30383)
• Momence, Illinois
@rebelann I actually like the smaller lakes, easier to find the fish, the bigger lakes we have in Illinois I tend to stay off of. When it's windy the bigger lakes will white cap the smaller ones don't. If it's white capping out there I'm not going.
It's a beautiful picture. I was in the middle of a lake once when a storm rose and needed to get back to shore. I was with my son in the boat and he nearly panicked before we got to shore.
@fishtiger58 (30383)
• Momence, Illinois
Thanks glad you like my shot. Most of the time you won't get hit by lightening but just the combination of water and metal boat is a scary deal.
@fishtiger58 I don't know why, I just never panicked. That doesn't scare me. Neither does a Ferris Wheel, and why that doesn't I have no idea because I'm scared of heights, but we got caught at the top one time, my son was with me. He'll never go on another one again.
@fishtiger58 (30383)
• Momence, Illinois
@just4him I am not fond of heights either I have been stuck on top of a ferris wheel too.
@ridingbet (43948)
ow, what a beautiful picture of the lake and the sun my dear. so, is that how a storm about to come looks like in a straight line? that is a contasting view of the sunny day and the stoprmy day.
@fishtiger58 (30383)
• Momence, Illinois
Not usually that's why it was such a strange view. Thanks glad you like my shot.
@ridingbet (43948)
@fishtiger58 i always like and love all your shots my friend, be it a dew or the upcoming storm, they all look beautiful
@fishtiger58 (30383)
• Momence, Illinois
@ridingbet Aww shucks Ingrid thanks so much. That means a lot to me.
This is an incredible picture, you can still see the sun, but the line of the storm gaining its way. Congratulations.
@fishtiger58 (30383)
• Momence, Illinois
Thanks Anna, so glad you like my shot. It was a strange looking day all day and then this storm rolled in and it was strange looking too. I just had to get a shot.
@fishtiger58 Many times even a menacing sky can be beautiful.
@fishtiger58 (30383)
• Momence, Illinois
@LadyDuck Yes they sure can, it was such a strange looking sky that day for most of the day, I couldn't figure out why until later.
@Marcyaz (35793)
No good to stay out in the lake when a storm is blowing in it can be very dangerous. I am glad you two left while you could and still were able to take some pictures.
@fishtiger58 (30383)
• Momence, Illinois
Me too it was a strange looking sky all day that day. Yea if my hubby knew what was good for him and he didn't want the wrath of me he gets me off the lake lol.
This is a lovely photo. I'd be heading back to camp too if there was a storm on the way. Not a good place to be with a storm coming.
@fishtiger58 (30383)
• Momence, Illinois
No it sure wasn't but I had to get some photos first. Didn't have the same great view from camp.
@Platespinner (16587)
Front lines are amazing when they put a straight line of clouds across the sky like that! Beautiful photo!
@fishtiger58 (30383)
• Momence, Illinois
It was almost a perfect straight line, you don't usually see that. Thanks glad you like my shot.
• Austin, Texas
I've never been on a lake. Been to the ocean. But never a lake. Living in Austin, Texas, there's no excuse for it. We have Lake Travis here and it's very popular. But I just have never taken to the time to go there. That's a beautiful picture. You were smart to get out of the way of storm. Storms are nothing to play with. Happy camping!
@fishtiger58 (30383)
• Momence, Illinois
I am from Chicago born and bred. So oceans scare me a lot. I won't go on an ocean. But I do love lakes. I have probably been on at least 60 lakes just in Illinois alone.
@miniam (9244)
• Bern, Switzerland
This is a very beautiful picture
@fishtiger58 (30383)
• Momence, Illinois
Thanks we had a nice time that day until that storm rolled in.