Head Bobbers

So sick of seeing the head bobbers driving along and using their cell phones. Who are they trying to kid anyway? It is obvious that they are texting. My husband told me that he has nearly had several head on collisions due to people texting while driving. He lays on the horn and they quickly jerk the wheel averting an accident. I am in my vehicle quite a bit with my job. I feel as if I am putting my life on the line every day. People need to smarten up and do what a vehicle was intended to do. It drives you to and from point A to point B. It isn't a phone booth.
Talking on your phone (without a hands-free device) is illegal here as well as texting, but I am constantly dodging idiots with the thing glued to their ear
@Raelove (15210)
• Saco, Maine
It may be illegal, but it's a hard one to enforce. There's never a cop around when I see someone texting and driving, so what's the point of having a law that can't be managed? Doesn't seem to be much of a deterrent to merely know that it's illegal. And after someone's killed either themselves or someone else, it's a bit late to mention it.
@Raelove That is almost equivalent to saying 'why have speed limits'...some people do follow the law...it's the only reason I wear a seatbelt
JJ, they scare me more when they are spending more time looking at their phone to read or send a text.
cells now, some anyways, can be told. Phone text hubby. Record. "say whatever here" phone end recording. send. etc. but even then, if it HAS to be done on the road, just use hands free calling!
I never read or send a text while driving. When the phone rings I will pull over to answer it or let it go to voicemail.
@medicament my sister has a hands-free phone in her car she says the name of the person to call . As for me I do not drive nor own a cellphone so you can be sure to be safe on the road! Might have a few call text free crashes but that is because I have a lot of accidents.
@Marty1 mine I can tell to call people, I just tend to call before I hit the roads, so I then can use the car speakers to talk back at, and dont touch it at all
• Portland, Connecticut
It really is scary isn't it that people think that they can drive at high speed and text at the same time!!
@BelleStarr, even at a slower speed it is dangerous. Accidents happen so quickly.
• Portland, Connecticut
@ElusiveButterfly True and what message could be that important?
@BelleStarr there is no important text. It is on your phone and will be there when you are in a safe place to read it.
@CRK109 (14360)
I saw photos of an accident today. A small car was smashed underneath an 18 wheeler (truck). They said the phone was still in his hands, but his head was in the back seat. People need to wise up. It's no joke.
OMG that is horrible.
@Marcyaz (36125)
It is dangerous to drive along people who are trying to text or talk on their cell phones.
When I see someone texting next to me I blow the horn and give them the thumbs up. They still don't get it.
do they not have any law there on that.We do here.No texting or cell phones.
We have the laws here Fredo. Unfortunately they don't abide by them. I have to laugh when I see a New York plate and the drive is using their phone. NY was one of the first states to make it illegal to use cell phones while driving.
@fishtiger58 (30304)
• Momence, Illinois
they don't care, and you see it all the time, even though it's now against the law to text and drive.
You see them looking up and looking down, head bobbing. The amount of time the spend watching the road is less than the time they look at their phone.
@fishtiger58 (30304)
• Momence, Illinois
@ElusiveButterfly It's against the law around here but I often wonder how many have actually been ticketed. I have even see the police in their cars using their cell phones. So if the police don't follow the law how do they expect others too.
@fishtiger58 My husband has witnessed the police doing the same.
This is such a dangerous practice. I don't know you stop people doing it.
The only way they will realize how dangerous it is would be for them to have an accident.
I sometimes feel that the only way they will learn is to have a minor accident.
@ElusiveButterfly I'm sure you're right but the trouble is that is it often ends up being a major accident.
Our state of IL has a law against texting or talking on a handheld device while driving, but that law has had no impact. If I see someone texting or talking I stay far away from their car. I have even pulled over or turned onto another street and resume when they are out of sight.
Because I drive as a part of my job I can't always turn down another street. I could pull over, but it will impact my driving time to and from client's home.
@Corbin5 Me too. I am tired of people putting others at risk.
@peavey (15870)
People always think "It won't happen to me," but it does. So many accidents occur because of inattentiveness and if driving while texting is not paying attention, I don't know what is.
I wish people would wake up and smell the coffee. I worry about the safety of others and myself too.
@peavey (15870)
@ElusiveButterfly Yes, I do, too. I don't know why people can't understand the danger of it.
@peavey scares the crap out of me.
@Raelove (15210)
• Saco, Maine
I also dislike people with their phones glued to their ears who are totally oblivious to the fact that they are just inches from my rear bumper. I give them the brake-tap treatment, and they usually back off really fast once they "come to."
My husband does that too. They will be the ones at fault if they hit your car.
@Raelove (15210)
• Saco, Maine
@ElusiveButterfly That's right. And if/when it does happen, I'll really enjoy saying "She was gabbing on her phone when she hit me!"
@Raelove hopefully she will have good insurance.
I like your term for them, but they are deadly. It's a law here not to text and drive, but there aren't enough police to get them all.
I am sure that if they see a cruiser the phones go down. But, when there are none in sight the bobbing begins.
@UncleJoe (8099)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
That is my greatest concern on the highways today. When I drove tractor-trailer I saw so much of that. One blast from my air horns usually sent their phones flying into the back seat.
How many tried to retrieve it while driving though. Probably a few.
@Blondie2222 (17759)
I see alot of people texting and driving lately and it's not good. I see people talking on the phone as well. Thank god they have laws now if caught doing both. But it still doesn't stop them and it's not just teens I see alot of adults doing it.
Way too many adults are doing this terrible practice. I am sick of seeing it.
Isn't it illegal to use your phone while driving? It is here. Ok I just read in the comments that it is illegal with you too. What are people thinking of? what do they keep in their heads? It certainly isn't brains.
I hear ya Jabo. It is more important to text or talk than to be safe.
People just don't seem to think. And some don't seem to care.
They have a one track mind. Texting comes first, safety second.
@cherriefic (4218)
• Baguio, Philippines
That's really what causes road accidents nowadays.
There are more reasons than that, but it is high on that list.
@Lucky15 (33712)
Wish laws will be more implemented with this problem here. Some are still not minding its dangers