Was Raj Kapoor the greatest bollywood director and producer ever?

Raj Kapoor had been one of the versatile figures of bollywood. He was showman, making lovely films like Awara, Shree 420, Sangam, etc. He was probably one of the actor, hero, editor, producer, director who was expert in all departments. There were other giants like Bimal Roy, BR Chopra, Yash Chopra, Subhash Ghai, V Shantaram who had also contributed for Indian films. But Raj Kapoor created dreams with composers Shankar Jaikishan, lyricist Hasrat Jaipuri, Shailendra, singers Mukesh, Lata, Manna Dey, Rafi and others. So it is difficult to match him in all departments. Beyond that who was also famous in Russia, along with Dilip Kumar used to be considered the greatest stars of bollywood.
@kiran8 (15347)
• Mangalore, India
I Wouldn't say that he was the greatest but definitely was one of the greatest director producer of Hindi cinema although he was not a great actor.
@avi256 (4026)
• Pune, India
He was too dramatic in his acting. But he surely could pull off any role.
@kiran8 (15347)
• Mangalore, India
@avi256 True, but romantic comedy was his best bet...
@avi256 (4026)
• Pune, India
@kiran8 He had huge influence of Charlie Chaplin.
@divssri (992)
• Bangalore, India
Yes very true.
Dear Divyaji, thanks for the comments. Raj Kapoor understood music as well. He could play more than 15 musical instruments so gave good lips in the songs.
I am not familiar with Raj Kapoor but do know his brother Shashi.
Dear John, thanks for the comments. Raj Kapoor's brother Shashi Kapoor played the role of the small stage of Raj Kapoor in the films Aag and Awara. Both the films were award winning films.
@sathviksouvik I know Shashi Kapoor because he did a few English language films such as A Matter of Innocence with Hayley Mills.
@avi256 (4026)
• Pune, India
I cant comment if he was the greatest Bollywood director, but he surely was the most passionate filmmaker of his time. He was visionary and he took Indian cinema forward with his thought provoking movies that were socially relevant. I really love his movies like Sangam, Mera Naam Joker and Jaagte Raho. One needs some intellect to understand his movies that were quite ahead of its time. He was often accused to have use women for exposure and Simi Gerawal, Vaijanti Mala , Mandakini or even Zeenat Aman admitted it was tough to say no to Raj Kapoor. Some people call him womanizer too, but whatever he was in personal life, his movies were really great and took India cinema to new level.
Dear Avinashji, thanks for comments. One important observation. As director Raj Kapoor could predict which artist was fit for which role. Actress Nadira played heroine characters before Raj Kapoor used her in a vamp role in Shree 420. Other directors after that started using Nadira in negative roles. Raza Murad was for the first time given villainish role by Raj Kapoor in Prem Rog. After that all the directors used him as a villain. RK films had contributed a lot in enriching Indian music. Shankar Jaikishan was used to perfection by Raj Kapoor. Please continue commenting Avinashji. I enjoy your comments.
@kiran8 (15347)
• Mangalore, India
Absolutely, he was a perfectionist and loved his profession, which showed in every frame he filmed. His song picturization was very innovative ..
@avi256 (4026)
• Pune, India
@kiran8 What I like best about his movies was the emotional part. There was an emotional connect through the story and characters were very relatable. He always tried to say something big through his movies. I can never forget the dramatic climax of Sangam, where all 3 characters speak their heart out. I wish he was alive for few more years, and I could have seen onof his movie on silver screen.
@else34 (13640)
• New Delhi, India
@sathviksouvik,I would say,yes,he was.The greatest showman of Indian cinema.Have you enjoyed 'Teesri Kasam?'
Dear Jaishankarji, thanks for the comments. Yes I enjoyed Teesri Kasam. It was produced by Raj Kapoor's lyricist Shailendra and directed by Basu Bhattacharya. Raj Kapoor's acting was awesome. Please continue commenting.
@kiran8 (15347)
• Mangalore, India
Teesri Kasam, Aah and Jagte Raho were among his best films
@else34 (13640)
• New Delhi, India
@sathviksouvik Of all the movies by Raj Kapoor,I love watching 'Teesri Kasam.It's a story by the great Hindi writer Phanishwarnath Renu.Would you believe if I tell you I have watched it more than ten times and still watch it from time to time.