Do you return what you borrow?

@sunrisefan (16694)
Since I was a small kid, I always made it a point to return whatever I borrow, though it's seldom that I borrow things. Some people, however, "forget" to return what they borrow, especially money. I've had countless occasions of lending money to friends and acquaintances who were hard up at some point and needed to borrow. It's unfortunate though, that sometimes our being kind and accommodating is abused by some like when I had newly built my house and when I got married I availed of a salary loan to finance construction of a water tank, drilling a deep well and purchasing an electric motor for it. A friend, who was one of a small circle of friends I had in college, came over to our house and asked to borrow some money because she and her husband (who was with her) needed it badly. It was the first time this friend borrowed money so, with the urgency of their need I lent her the money with her promise that she will return it the following week. I informed her that the money came from the proceeds of a loan and that I will be needing it in 2 weeks' time. Weeks passed and my friend did not come to pay what she owed me. I called her up at her office and she begged for extension. This went on for weeks till it became months and I later knew from another classmate who worked with her in the same office that my friend had practically owed everyone in the office. Months and years passed and I lost my money and she lost the friendship. Several times after that, I was still pitiful of friends who came to borrow and as many times also that I was not paid. Now this time I won't be duped anymore because I have no more money to lend (or "donate" if you prefer to call it). I'm out of work as I have availed of early retirement offered by our company for 200 slots (there 300 of us nationwide vying for it). What about you? Do you return money or anything you borrow?
I do, I return everything. Including the heart of those men i've borrowed.
@sunrisefan (16694)
I was about to ask you that question but you have ESP :)
@sunrisefan Knew you would so i already answered in advance.
@sunrisefan (16694)
@toniganzon See? You're assured of your toy from Santa because you're really naughty and nice. And I would add smart and witty to that!
Yes of course . How can you borrow again if you won't . Anyway , when someone borrows from me , i only lend as much as what i can allow as a "loss" since i am not sure whether it will be paid back or not anymore .
@sunrisefan (16694)
Whenever I lend, I expect the borrower to return whatever it is he borrowed. When I borrow (things, which is seldom), I always make sure to return the item. Quid pro quo.
@sunrisefan Yes inded , me too . But with money , i am that way because i know they won't return it anyway . So mall amount only - not much for a loss just in case .
@sunrisefan (16694)
@SIMPLYD Good and secure practice :)
@ida123 (6280)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Yes, I'll return what I borrow so that I can borrow again if I need it.
@sunrisefan (16694)
Good. Establishing a good credit line hehehe!
@ida123 (6280)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@sunrisefan Exactly and I'm also doing this because I've encountered this many times, I felt bad when some of my borrowers won't pay me.
@sunrisefan (16694)
@ida123 In others words "Do not do to others what you would not want them to do to you", right?
@brokenbee (7777)
I always return what I had borrowed, as soon as I am done. And as much as possible, I don't like borrowing. That's what my mother had taught us, do not borrow, especially money. Hmmmm And if we had borrowed, we have to return it as soon as possible.
@sunrisefan (16694)
Now I have company my friend :)
@brokenbee (7777)
@sunrisefan Hmmm yes, it is already better not to lend money. One of my instructors once said, if you want to lose your friends, lend them money. Hmmmm
@sunrisefan (16694)
@brokenbee Proven from experience :)
@rina110383 (24253)
I only borrowed once in 2009. I borrowed money from my parents to buy a laptop because I needed it for my cases. I was still studying then. I executed a promissory note and handed to them my passbook as collateral. Everyday, I pay them any amount from my allowance. After 2 months, I was able to pay the whole amount and they handed to me back my passbook.
@sunrisefan (16694)
I admire you for what you did. You're worthy of emulation.
@annierose (17418)
I do not like borrowing money. Our parents taught us how to budget our money and save some of it for emergency purposes. If I borrow a money, it is because I do not expect that I have to spend on something so I just ask help from a friend or colleague. It is easy for them to lend me money as they know that I do not really ask people for money. My mom as much as possible do not like the idea of lending money as well. In addition to what you said about lost friendship, we also turned as bad people forcing them to pay. It is really annoying when you have to beg for your own money and then you will be accused as a bad person forcing a person who has nothing to give you some money. While if we will do some flashbacks, those who borrow money from us look like a meek lamb and when we are already asking for the money to be returned to us, they will transformed from a meek lamb to a wild tiger.
@sunrisefan (16694)
You're right. Sometimes, it really comes to a point that it would seem that the lender is the one who owes a favor from the borrower. Your mother has cautioned you well :)
I never borrow money from others.
@sunrisefan (16694)
That's good :) They won't have any worries with you :)
@sol_cee (13979)
• Japan
Sad how many friendships end because of unreturned debts.
@sunrisefan (16694)
That is the sad and common reality.