Corrective Procedures

@UncleJoe (9461)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Once again modern medicine has perfected procedures to correct problems that once people just had to live with. Had such current operations such as angioplasty been available before my father died he may have lived another 20 years. Doctors have discovered a means to correcting another, but less fatal ailment that often creates confusion. This condition is called “Strabismus”, or “Cross-eyed”. This can now be corrected with surgery or eye glasses. My cousin, Lucille was born with this but back then, it was just part of life. Needless to say, we all felt sorry for her growing up. She couldn’t see things the way the rest of us kids could. The first time I really noticed how badly she was cross-eyed, we were walking to the store when she dropped her dime but bent over and picked up 2 nickels. The most heart-breaking part of all came when she got married and had her first child. Every time she began to nurse, poor Lucy would go into a panic shaking out all the bedding, trying to find that other twin.
You are incorrigible. I was feeling so sorry for Lucille at first. You really sucked me in big time with this.
@Platespinner (16532)
Hilarious, except that strabismus doesn't actually work that way. The brain for all intents and purposes turns off the nerve connections to the crossing eye and if left untreated the eye becomes functionally blind.
@UncleJoe (9461)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I knew that but but the joke works that way.
poor thing, had to stink back in the days before correction
Glad you aren't writing about me.
Leave it to you! LOL! I had a true laugh out loud. Yes, modern science has come a long way, thank goodness. Poor Lucy.
@Katlynn (377)
I'm amazed at how a dime turned into two nickels - cross-eyed or not lol
@vandana7 (62278)
Ouch...I didn't think they have this problem..
You are always good for giving humor to an otherwise dreary day.