How Do You Help With Stress?

@noni1959 (3084)
We all have stress in our lives. It can be high or low stress but it's not healthy. These past six years have been up and down for me but more up than it should be. I've used meditation, dance, funny videos, walking, and even comfort eating (not good.) One of the best things I've found that really helps is to take old dishes out to an area with a large rock or edge, put a huge tarp or other cover on the ground, and toss while yelling, talking, venting, and letting out the pent up hurt, anger, steam, worries, or fear. For some reason hearing the dishes break relieves some of the tension. If I crack a bowl, glass, etc I keep it in my "recovery" box. How do you help with stress?
@MGjhaud (20742)
i normally isolate myself and just read or listen to the music, pray or stay online and do stuff like this(mylotting). i get by easily normally so i guess thats a good thing..
@noni1959 (3084)
I usually don't write if I'm overstressed since stress emotion equals block or over venting/negative. One time I kept diaries and thoughts but with my hands I hurt when I write too much. I don't dare put a diary on my computer.
@MGjhaud (20742)
i have a journal that i keep for years now, ive got few things in there that ive written when i was sad or upset. it helps me feel better somehow when i write.. but of course, no one gets to read it. anyway i just remember that we have this place here, not sure where exactly, that you can throw plates on a wall to release some stress. some people go there just to try cause its known.
These are all great ideas. For me stress and anxiety are like something I am allergic to. I get all the same symptoms. If it comes on fast there isn't much I can do except ride it out. I find that going to my 'happy place' brings me down. But, if I am out someplace where I can't lay down it may get really bad. I do take a prescribed pill for anxiety. I have gone without and I can sure tell a difference. I am thankful that I at least have this because nothing I have tried helped with the severe depression.
@noni1959 (3084)
I used to be able to say I'm strong and can wave things off but my life events over the last 7 years or so have me at an extreme. I have no time to grieve before something else hits and then some things continue. I've been learning to deal and been back at my breaking dish reliever and it keeps me sane. I do have days nothing seems to help and have to ride it out or have a good cry.
@noni1959 .....Don't forget that crying is healthy. Too many people are embarrassed when they cry and so they stifle it. Not good. I have severe depression with panic attacks. I have had some depression all my life. It's like being bummed out ALL THE TIME and not know why. So, I have found some things that help. Crying and laughing do it for me. And, not wallowing in it. Get away from it. Set small goals for yourself. Reaching them will bring your mood up a bit. At some point, you have to let it all go though. I could go on and on. If ya need a pal that's been there and that is honest shoot me a PM and I will give you my email addee. Take care
nah, i aint breakin' any'f my dishes :) yer correct though, lots'f stress fer extended periods'f time can actually make ya physically ill. fer myself, i work outdoors - physically gettin' 't all out'n a productive way. but, whate'er makes yer boat float :D
@quantum2020 (8839)
• Ciudad De Mexico, Mexico
I have read that stress stems from various sources, including those that enter through the senses. The best remedy that has worked for me is to avoid a stressful event when I come across one. For example, I used to live in a place where I was not happy with because the kitchen, bathroom and the entire place was in bad condition. That was causing me some kind of stress that reflected in my production at work, Once I left that little apartment and moved to another place, the stress disappeared.
@noni1959 (3084)
I avoid places or make changes when I can but there were some and still are instances that can't be avoid right now. I am trying to look at the positive parts but there are days they can't be avoided. One instance is I live in Oregon but my job is still based in CA and I'm considered remote. Some may think not a big deal but you would be surprised the domino effect it has in living, taxes, etc and then the worry they can tell me I have to go back to the CA office.
Whenever I feel stress, I usually put coins in my jar and try to forget it. If it doesn't work, I just write some write ups here in this site.
@noni1959 (3084)
In the past I wrote my stresses down and put them in a box telling myself I can revisit them in the morning but now I have to find other avenues to help.