FELONS

@miyaford (301)
Nashville, Tennessee
Okay people lets get down and dirty. What do you think about felons and how some of them are treated when they are trying to reenter society? Is one crime better than the other? My opinion is that I do not like the way that some are treated. How is it possible for them to get their life back on track years later due to the time they served? They need chances just like everyone else. They need to be able to eat and survive just like everyone else. Sometimes when a person do time behind bars it scares then straight but you still have others that continue on with their life of crime. Yes the nature of their crime matters, especially when it comes to getting a job or a place to stay. I say this because you would not want a pedophile working at a daycare living a block down from a school. It would not be practical to hire a bank robber as a bank teller. My moral of the story is that I think that all felons deserve a chance at employment and housing. Re-entering society years later has to be hard and scary enough. If they are willing to work let them work. They don't deserve sympathy but they do deserve a chance. What are your thoughts about this topic?
@quantum2020 (8883)
• Ciudad De Mexico, Mexico
I think that felons should be given the chance to pre reenter society just before being released. They should be given preparation in any kind of job of their preference while behind bars and also they should be offered a decent place to stay while they are struggling to re inssert themselfs in society. Society is not going to change. An ex convict is prone to comitt a crime again if not given the correct guide and assistance.
@miyaford (301)
• Nashville, Tennessee
I do agree that they need the correct guidance and assistance because people in this world can be harsh, discriminatory, and down right mean.
• Ciudad De Mexico, Mexico
@miyaford That is right! Every person deserves some kind of respect, even those who have lost their path in life.
When the felony committed is murder, not homicide, as defined under the criminal law of the Philippines; I think it would be tough for me to hire them. My parents were murdered by hired killers and I just can't be putting myself in danger if i let them in in my company. But for petty crimes, I could give them another chance. They have served their penalties inside already and now that they're free they should be given a second chance.
@miyaford (301)
• Nashville, Tennessee
I think I might feel the same way as you if I experienced something like you did. I'm so sorry.
*stands up* Hi, my name is Mike, and I am a convicted felon. *sits down* It does suck...I have seldom felt as crushed as when I have been told 'We won't hire you because you've been in prison.' You know who did give me a job last time I got out? The cop that had arrested me. He had a lawn service as a side business, and he helped me get back on my feet again. It's sad when you serve your time, and still get penalized for it after you get out.
@Mike197602 (13366)
• Worcester, England
Possibly why neither of us are into the "hate the police" thing that seems to have become popular.
@Mike197602 (13366)
• Worcester, England
As I'm not in the US I wouldn't be called a felon but I do have a criminal record. I've found it very hard to get a job. Employers would find they're missing out on very loyal employees because if you give a chance to someone they'll often pay you back tenfold compared to other employees.
@carebear29 (28554)
• Wausau, Wisconsin
To me I try not to judge. I do background checks on all my friends though thats for sure.