Washing your clothes in chemicals

By JJ
So this commercial comes on TV yesterday afternoon that kind of made me go 'Huh?' It had to do with this product you throw in your laundry as you're washing it to give your clothes this 'refreshing' smell for up to 12 weeks. And I didn't go 'Wow!!!' What actually crossed my mind is that aren't we washing our clothes to get the dirt and smells out of them? Yet here is a commercial saying 'Hey, add these crystals made of some chemical we won't mention into your wash...your detergent isn't strong enough to clean these smells out!' Kind of defeats the purpose in a way, doesn't it? Maybe if it was something you put in your dryer...I mean, I still wouldn't use it, but it might make a bit more sense. But to add it to the wash? Nope...my laundry detergent is to get things out of my clothes, not put things into them. Ah, the miracles of modern society...
My clients have me add scented crystals to their wash. They often request I add extra to give their clothes a fresh scent. Whatever happened to the day when we hung our laundry out to dry to give it that fresh scent? Guess that wasn't enough.
I just don't understand the principle between 'clean' and 'smell'. To me, clean should be a 'non-smell'.
@JolietJake I like the smell of clean too. However, I do use a fabric softener that is scented. I use very little because the scent is strong and is supposed to last for up to 14 days. Wow, I don't wear my clothes but once if I am working. Twice if I am at home.
@JolietJake Same thinking here.
It's probably a very good thing that we never watch the commercial TV channels. Who knows what I might be tempted to buy?
@Platespinner (16507)
Most laundry detergents are full of chemical perfumes already and dryer sheets are even worse. Smells are really hard to get out of fabrics and the majority of the products on the market just cover up those odours with chemical scents. I'm really sensitive to perfumes and use unscented laundry detergents...if I don't use hot water and line dry the laundry generally doesn't smell very fresh.
I've always thought if things were clean, they weren't supposed to smell like anything
@JolietJake Unfortunately clean is a relative state and the so-called high efficiency washing machines (the ones that use significantly less water) seem to be worse about actually getting the odors out. A lot is pushed about modern laundry detergents not requiring hot water to be effective...unfortunately lots of less than savory microbes don't have any trouble surviving inside the washing machine and spreading themselves through the fabrics. Also natural fibers have their own odors--silk smells horrible when it's wet!
My girlfriend adds scent crystals to the rinse cycle. I don't see the point, but it's easier on me if I just go with it.
Yeah, I hear ya...nothing against women but it's kind of like even if you agree with them about something, it's too late because they've already changed their mind
That seems strange. I wouldnt want to not wash my clothes for 12 weeks. What about spills? Ill stick to my el-cheapo detergent. It does the job well enough.
I'm sure they mean if it sits in your dresser or closet unworn....
@JolietJake Oh hahaha I totally misunderstood!!
I have tried that product, and you they are just chemical beads. The smell lasts so long, and is so intense, some of my clothes I had to throw out because that smell made me physically sick as it was so over powering and I couldn't get it washed out normally.
Isn't it kind of odd that people put stuff into their clothes that won't wash out, which kind of defeats the purpose of washing them in the first place?
@JolietJake I learned that a lot of years ago. When our son was a newborn (1989) the doctor told me that he had very sensitive skin and warned me never to wash his clothing, or his crib sheets or anything that would come into contact with his skin in anything but hot water. That was my eye opener, and I maintained that practise until he was about 2, that way he wouldn't have such sensitive skin or any scars. But by the age of about 2 he played so hard that his clothes would have grass stains and dirt stains, so I had to start washing them with ours in detergent.
@Lucky15 (33414)
Like..really?
Yep. Must be some powerful chemicals, and guaranteed not to come out in the wash
@Lucky15 (33414)
@JolietJake i am still sticking with what i grow up with. Wash them and hang them.to dry. That smells great for me
@maggs224 (1713)
• Alicante, Spain
I still peg my washing out to dry and the fresh air takes care of that and it is free lol...
Dad took the clotheslines down here years ago, but I remember being young and ducking under clothes on the line as I mowed the yard...and then one time pulling a shirt out of the dresser to put on and there was a bee wrapped up in it...
I think perhaps for clothes I had to store, like winter things being put up for now, MAYBE, but I saw that too and was like nope. a smell that strong would prob give me headaches