Do You Consider Early Retirement?

@acelawrites (12557)
I retired so early from my office work and had concentrated on taking care of my family and doing some online writing jobs, some small entrepreneural work to avoid boredom and to earn. Now I am encouraging my husband to file an early retirement request because he is always stressed in his job. Am afraid it could affect his health. Why stress yourself at work when you think you had earned enough for retirement? Do you agree?
@AkoPinay (10100)
Yes, I retired at 34. I want to explore online opportunities.
do you set aside part of your online earnings for stuff like savings, investments, health insurance, etc?
@AkoPinay (10100)
@hereandthere I don't have them
@acelawrites (12557)
You retired so early. I had it at 44 when I got burnt out of my job and I wanted a laid-back life in the province. So I sought some online jobs.
I honestly think that retirement is a myth and that we will need to and want to work well into our golden age. The key is finding work that we love doing so we could keep going.
@acelawrites (12557)
Well what I meant by retirement here is getting out/giving up your usual day job/office work which requires much time and energy. I agree that even after the golden age, we can still work but I guess it should be those less stressful ones, or just like being a consultant or online writer,etc.
If he's stressed then yes, he should definitely get out. If he doesn't want to stop work all together then perhaps he could find some easy part time job.
@acelawrites (12557)
Thanks, @jaboUK. He really thinks of having a small business just to have a steady income in addition to the usual pension.
I would think if retirement resulted in having enough money so as not to have to struggle financially, then I would go for it to avoid further stress. I retired from teaching at age 60 because I was "teached-out."
@acelawrites (12557)
Oh you had a fruitful teaching life, I guess. I have a high respect for teachers who helped me where I am now.
We both retired early and have never regretted it. As long as you can afford to do it I say go for it!!
@acelawrites (12557)
You made the right decision. I think we owe ourselves some reward for working so hard during our younger years.
@acelawrites And there is no guarantee how long we will live, too many people work so hard and never get to enjoy it!!
@trivia79 (7887)
• El Segundo, California
i will only retire if i have stable income for my business that will provide a stable life for my family.....all that will come soon hehe
@acelawrites (12557)
Well, looking at your photo here, you still look so young and you can still work for so many years to earn and save for retirement. Having your own business is an ideal goal. Good luck.
@trivia79 (7887)
• El Segundo, California
@acelawrites yes! business is something in my goal for the future. i want something that will never go out of style. i think food is easy but it's not my thing....well as of this times.
@salonga (27955)
I went into early retirement because I want to enjoy freedom as early as I could. My husband also did and so far with the retirement money we got, we are living decently and most of all stress free.
@acelawrites (12557)
It is the wisest thing to do, not to stress out ourselves from too much work, and as long as we know we have enough money/resources for retirement, we owe ourselves time for relaxation and to savor life more.
@salonga (27955)
@acelawrites I so agree!
I haven't think about that yet. I stopped working in my previous company because it doesn't paid off for all the efforts. So I voluntary choose to work online. Thus I have more time with the family and I can manage my time. I am the boss of my life right now. However, I am not closing my door to work again in a regular basis. But it is not the right time to decide for it.
@acelawrites (12557)
Well if you are earning a lot online, why not? But if you are still young and capable, having a regular job that pays accordingly is also a good choice, just for a change.
@acelawrites I am open to that my dear friend. For now, I still need to deal with the shortcomings before looking for a regular job. Thank you for the advice.
My husband retired a year or two early and we've really enjoyed the years together. He was getting pretty stressed too and wasn't enjoying his job any more.
@acelawrites (12557)
He made the right decision, anyway, he had worked a lot during his younger years (I think so) and it is time to reward himself (and you) with time for relaxation and a stress-free life.
@acelawrites That was our thinking. We have enough to be comfortable and now we're less stressed which counts for a lot.
@raki369 (1025)
Yes I too want early retirement as rich at when I Was young.. that's why I trying to hard to earn money
@acelawrites (12557)
It is the reason why we work a lot and save for the future, so we can enjoy life more when we are still strong and capable.
@raki369 (1025)
@acelawrites you are correct.
@BettyB (4208)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I totally agree. That's why I'm retiring at the end of this school year. My sister thinks I'm crazy, but I don't regret the decision.
@acelawrites (12557)
Wow, that's nice, because while we can still savor life and enjoy it, why not retire early? I pity those who retire when they could not enjoy the fruits of their hard work because their body would not allow it.
i sure would ask the same thing.
@acelawrites (12557)
Thanks, @sharon6345 , you also have the same view.
I don't even know if I will get to retire. It's nice to know that when I do I can still earn a little on the side using the internet, though.
@acelawrites (12557)
What I meant by retiring is getting out or resigning early from a daily job/work and like you said, anyone can work stress-free like working online where you are your own boss. You still earn and enjoy it too.