Do you know what bolonie is?

I have lived in the south almost 16 years. It doesn't cease to amaze me how people pronounce and/or spelling words. They take perfectly good English and turn it into - I'm not sure what. Case in point, I person who purchased some items from us through a post in Facebook, who I friended so we could communicate easier - made me LOL a short wile ago. He posted that he is having lunch with his parents and he described the menu which included: * Fresh sliced tomatoes * Eggs * Hot coffee * Hog gowels and * Bolonie I guess if you can't really spell a word property you can do it phonetically. Just throw a few letters out there and see what it spells. However - has he never seen the Oscar Mayer commercial, "My bolonga has a first name... I bet you thought I was going to make fun of the hog jowels! Photo: pixabay.com/en/hog-pig-swine-piglet-sow-441056/
I've also seen it spelled baloney but never bolonie
This guy works at a nuclear power plant...that scares me!
@Rosekitty (19443)
• San Marcos, Texas
hahahaha...i like to mess with people and actually say bologna as its spelled...you should see the looks i get..hahah
They would never understand that around here either.
@Rosekitty (19443)
• San Marcos, Texas
@AbbyGreenhill here either and sometimes i wonder where is their sense of humor..hahaah
@Rosekitty It went out the window.
I read the comments so I now don't need an explanation of 'bolonie'. Hog jowels I managed to work out all by myself!
They sell hog jowels in jars in the grocery store - I gag when I see it.
@AbbyGreenhill There are big tubs of pigs' ears in our supermarket which are meant as chew toys for dogs. They're pretty gross too.
@JudyEv We used to buy pigs ears for our lat dog, they aren't cheap!
@TheSojourner (17479)
There are a lot of words that are mysteries like that. LOL I do not like bologna, no matter how you want to spell it! I don't even like it with CATSUP! ;-)
I think I might have eaten it when I was a kid and didn't know better. Even my husband who eats anything won't touch it.
@AbbyGreenhill I do remember though my mother frying bologna slices up and that was okay. I don't eat Spam either
@CoralLevang Oh, spam no way - but I ate SOS as a kid and loved it, probably still do if someone would make it for me.
I knew what the bolonie was but couldn't make out what he meant by hog gowels, and yes it did cross my mind that you might come up with an innuendo or two!
I think hog jowels are pig cheeks...not quite sure but that's a guess.
@AbbyGreenhill That's probably right - human jowls are droopy cheeks I think.
@jaboUK Yes, you are right.
@valmnz (12661)
• New Zealand
When I saw your heading I though of an old saying, think it's Irish, about somehing being a lot of boloney - rubbish.
Bologna is a lot of rubbish - not gourmet food by any means.
@valmnz (12661)
• New Zealand
@AbbyGreenhill and after writing that comment I realised the Irish word is probably spelled baloney.
@1creekgirl (9926)
Abby, you've probably also heard Vienna Sausages pronounced "Vhy eenies." That's right up there with putting cheese in your coffee and peanuts in your Pepsi.
I have to admit I've never heard any of those three.
@AbbyGreenhill Wow, maybe those are just NC practices!
@miniam (9244)
• Bern, Switzerland
What is Hog gowels ? Bologna?hope is the right spelling, is a town in Italy
Hog jowels I think are pig's cheek. Yes, bologna is spelled like the city - it's cold cuts - presumably pork.
@miniam (9244)
• Bern, Switzerland
@AbbyGreenhill Learned something new thanks
Every time I have to spell bologna, I remember I learned how to spell it due to the Oscar Mayer commercial. We even had Little Oscar, a little person, go through town riding in the Wiener Whistle. Oh my. Love the photo!
Did you really have the Wiener Whistle riding in your town? ONLY in America!
The weiner mobile was in TN last year,,,,I didn't rush out to see it!
Being lost in the busy schelude of their fast paced life, most of the people have forgotten Grammar and pronounciation....What to do?
This is a spelling error - or a finger typing error - not sure which.
@Scindhia (1958)
• Chennai, India
Ha ha.. I thought you would go for the jowels too!
I thought about it, but the bolonie was too good to resist.
@1creekgirl (9926)
Of course I know what balonie is....it's that stuff that nobody knows what's in it and most likely wouldn't want to know.
Its stuff they sweep up off the floor LOL!
well, it does sound like bolone, or bolonie, but yes, I hear the song IN my head when I spell bologna now.
This is the one with the cute kid fishing. He sings the song, "My bologna has a first name, it's O-s-c-a-r. My bologna has a second name, it's M-a-y-e-r."
Yes, that why I said he spelled it phonetically
I have always wondered about a lot of that southern food. Funny how people don't even use a spell checker. Being a writer and a lover of the English language it bugs me to see mistakes but I try to consider the source. People are only human!
Bologna isn't a southern food - I think it's pretty much anyplace in the US. I know we have it up north. This guy works at a nuclear power plant, I sure he spells words correctly there.
@AbbyGreenhill ...Yes, it is. But, I was talking about the other one you mentioned.
What is Bolonie a misspelled Bologna? Bologna is a name, the name of the city in Italy where it is produced.
Yes, he obviously doesn't know how to spell it correctly. The bologna eaten in the US is not what they make in the city of Bologna. From what I read the stuff made in Italy goes under a different name and is a different product.
@AbbyGreenhill Here is a photo of sliced Mortadella Bologna , this is the way we call it.
I thought you were going to talk about a political speech
LOL - those speaches are 'full of it' but not bolonie or bologna.
I seen that commercial so many times that I will always know how to spell bologna.
I think that's why we know how to spell it correctly.
sorry,I missed this post there. No I have not seen this.
Did your snow melt?
@BettyB (4221)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I've lived in the south for 32 years now, and I still laugh at the way they pronounce some things.
I know what you mean. Sometimes you just have to try not to laugh...until you are out of their eyesight.
@miniam (9244)
• Bern, Switzerland
BTW,that`s one pot bellied pig
He is a big pig isn't he LOL - there were so many pig photos I liked that one the best.