Top Ten Talking Heads Songs: Psycho Killer (#7)

@FourWalls (10681)
I'm continuing my countdown of my ten favorite Talking Heads songs (along with my ten favorite Eagles songs...how's that for a mash-up?). Here's number seven on our big hit list. #7: Psycho Killer When they were first starting out Talking Heads played at the legendary New York punk club CBGB's (which, if you're interested, stood for "Country, Blue Grass, & Blues") alongside other bands like Blondie, the Ramones, Television, and the Patti Smith Group. Yet they were hardly "punk." With their combination of rock, R&B, funk, and even country music, their rather comparatively conservative manner of dress (wearing buttoned shirts instead of t-shirts and ripped jeans [but hey, I love the Ramones]), and microcosm-of-life lyrics, they stood out like a sore thumb from the genuine punk music. There was one exception: "Psycho Killer." This really isn't that "punk" sounding, but it does have a feel and attitude that's more along the lines of what you might expect out of the other punk bands of the late 70s. This was Talking Heads' first claim to fame (their actual first single was called "Love Goes to Building on Fire," and it didn't generate any interest at all), and it established them as one of the premiere bands in the New York music scene....punk or not. Opening with Tina Weymouth's driving bass line (that really seems to be the predominant instrument throughout the song) the song meanders through the mind of a dangerous man ("We're vain and we are blind, I hate people when they're not polite"). It's a -- pardon the pun -- killer song. Psycho Killer Written by David Byrne, Chris Frantz, & Tina Weymouth From Talking Heads: 77, 1977
The Talking Heads perform Psycho Killer on the Old Grey Whistle Test Show.
@LeaPea2417 (16055)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I never listened to them.
@FourWalls (10681)
They weren't everyone's cup of tea. David Byrne has a voice that is an acquired taste. I understand that not everyone acquired the taste.
What can I say but awesome! This is one of my favorite Head songs also.
I've never seen that particular video before. Yet another great choice!