Daffy-down-dillies

@Raelove (16820)
Saco, Maine
Not far from here, there's a cemetery that also doubles as a park where lots of people go to visit their departed loved ones and to walk the miles of asphalted lanes that wind through the vast area. Known as Laurel Hill, the groundskeepers take great pains to keep the cemetery clean and inviting, and it's a small oasis in the middle of this town. Its most alluring feature is the cascades of daffodils that bloom at this time of year and that drape the edges of the cemetery that slope down toward the Saco River. I was there yesterday, and took lots of photos, one of which I've resized to include here. There needn't be much said about daffodils that a picture can't adequately convey. And to see thousands upon thousands of them draping the hillsides of that place just takes your breath away. They're at their peak right now and will be followed by large beds of tulips that bloom some time in May. Now that I live so close to the place, I plan on going back often if only to just walk through it and to keep tabs on the different flowers blooming all year. There are easily two miles of paths there, and it's all flat clean walking, so I have no excuse now. And what better place to walk than a quiet and peaceful place where the bustle of the outside world stops right at the gate! Photo Copyright@2016 Rachel Lovejoy
• Marion, Kansas
Massed plantings are gorgeous. I have lived in communities where the cemetery was a great walking place as well.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
Yes they are. And daffodils naturalize, so they produce more and more each year.
We have 3 cemeteries around us here and they are lovely places to walk.
This sounds such a lovely place to walk. I can't imagine anything nicer really.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
It's got it all...very quiet, of course, asphalted lanes that go everywhere, lots of visual appeal, benches to sit and rest on, LOTS of old towering trees, and did I mention quiet? It's not crawling with people either, maybe because some folks just don't like cemeteries...who knows? I'm going back today for a walk.
@Raelove It does sound like it's got it all. I'd be haunting it...
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
@JudyEv Oh, I do, believe me!
The daffodils have disappeared weeks ago, the tulips also already ended, now it's the time of Lily of the Valley and Roses.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
I love lilacs, roses, tulips, etc. But I have always had a special fondness for Lilies of the Valley. When I was a little girl, I found a patch of them growing under some trees on my way to school. I could not believe their smell. Just heavenly.
@Raelove I love the smell, I have noticed that they have started blooming in my garden, right in time for the first of May. We consider Lily of the Valley a lucky charm for the first of May.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
@LadyDuck I've tried growing them in the past with no luck. They love shade and rich soil, but I didn't have those conditions. I don't see them often anymore and miss them.
They are surely a sign of life! Our finished a month ago, we're onto summer flowers.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
How nice. No matter when it happens, it's wonderful. And to think we got snow just a few days ago makes even more special.
@Raelove Hard to imagine snow when its 86 degrees here.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
@AbbyGreenhill Surprised us, too! Still not warm here, barely 50. But I'll take it over 30!
@fishtiger58 (30379)
• Momence, Illinois
I would love that,for the flowers and the nice undisturbed walk.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
It's wonderful. Can't wait to get back there. Maybe later today if it doesn't rain.
@fishtiger58 (30379)
• Momence, Illinois
@Raelove Have fun.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
@fishtiger58 Oh I will, thanks!
That is lovely. I saw a cool picture the other day online. It was a pic of a vet's wife who had made her bed on the cemetery plot and had stuff there(pics of him and such) on the bed and she was laying there looking at this man's picture. I thought it was so cute.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
Cemeteries aren't scary places at all. And the more flowers, the better!
@Raelove ....I've only been scared in the cemetery once. I was on LSD and thought the peope were turning over in their graves. Literally. It was so real!
You have good luck there.This year did not do too well.The weather been cool and the killer frost got most of them. I can see where t his is heading here
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
I can't grow these myself, but at least I can drive just down the road to see them. We had a frost here, too, but they survived.
I can see from your post that the climate in your part of the world is rougher than where I live. In the south of Germany, daffodils have already disappeared and the tulip season is ending.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
Our tulip season happens in May here in this part of the U.S. Elsewhere, like you, it is sooner. It is also the time when the lilacs bloom, too, which is quite wonderful.
Daffodills are one of the flowers I love most. Unfortunatly, I havenĀ“t been able to grow them in my garden.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
That is too bad, as they are very easy. Here, we plant them in the fall and the bloom in the spring, and the bulbs stay in the ground forever multiplying.