Daily Bible Study

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Day 43 Psalm 43 Psalm 43:1 Judge me, O God, and plead my cause against an ungodly nation: O deliver me from the deceitful and unjust man. 2 For thou art the God of my strength: why dost thou cast me off? Why go I mourning because of the oppression of the enemy? 3 O send out thy light and thy truth: let them lead me; let them bring me unto thy holy hill, and to thy tabernacles. 4 Then will I go unto the altar of God, unto God my exceeding joy: yea, upon the harp will I praise thee, O God my God. 5 Why art thou cast down, O my soul? And why art thou disquieted within me? Hope in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God. We all suffer days of depression when everything looks hopeless around us. For most of us those days don’t last very long and we’re soon back to our normal cheerful self. Yet for others, depression is a malady that needs medication to overcome it. The psalmist was in the first group of people. He saw his situation and wondered how long he would be away from home. He asked God to judge him, to plead his cause against an unjust nation. He was in exile. He wanted to go home. He wanted to go into the temple and praise God in complete freedom. Only then would his joy be complete. Home is the only place that brings complete joy. Home is familiar. Home is being with the people we love and care about. Home allows us the freedom to be ourselves. As Christians our home is heaven. Many times we look around us and ask the same questions the psalmist asked. How long will I be here? When will you bring me home? We want to be with those who have gone before. We want to be with our Savior, Jesus Christ, and we want to enter into the temple in heaven. We want to praise our God for eternity. Earth is temporary. You could say we are in exile here waiting for the day when our work here is complete and God calls us home. As a child, I would often sit at the piano and thumb through the hymnal and practice familiar and unfamiliar songs. One such song was rarely sung in church. In fact, I don’t ever recall singing it, yet it is one of my favorite songs. I taught myself to sing and play the song at the back of the hymnal – I’m but a Stranger Here. It’s a beautiful hymn filled with the same longing the psalmist had of going home. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arEgXc8VnR0 None of us knows how long our journey on earth will be. However, as long as we’re here we are to make the most of our lives, living to bring joy to those around us and showing them there is more to life than what we have here. The psalmist didn’t know when he was going home, but he knew he would go home one day, and for that he comforted himself with the memories of his homeland, and asked God how much longer he would live among ungodly people. One day God will call us home, and our exile will be over. We will take that final journey and enter the courts of our God and see our Savior face to face. We will be with our loved ones who completed their journey and our joy will be complete. Let’s pray: Father, thank you for the journey you have me on. Help me to have patience as I walk the roads of this life, knowing that one day I too will go home to be at your side for eternity. My exile will be over. Let your joy and hope flood my soul as I wait patiently for you to call me home. In Jesus’ name, I pray, amen. Copyright © 1 May 2016 by Valerie Jean Routhieaux Image courtesy of Pixabay
This wasvery easy to read. I understand all to well about the meds and depression. Thanks for this was perfect for me.
I'm so glad. It blesses me when I can bless others with God's Word.
@Drosophila (16713)
We can only keep going really..
Yes we can, moving ever forward.
Another nice bible study.
Thank you.