Not So Grand Anymore

Freedom of Speech
I received an email from my library telling me that a set of DVDs that I had on hold had arrived. I drove over there just after noon. When I pulled my car out of my neighborhood, a woman who had been stopped behind me at the right turn pulled alongside, honked, pointed at me and yelled something. No reason. After the library, I drove over to the market to buy some yogurt. A man who had been driving behind me pulled alongside when I turned into the left hand turn pocket at the market, honked and flipped me off. Still, no reason. But what the two had in common is that they had been behind me been staring at the Hillary for President bumper sticker on the back of my car. Oh, the joys of living in the O.C., where GOP no longer stands for Grand Old Party, but Gauche, Obnoxious People. (Probably not all of them, but at least these two.) Can you imagine going off on a white haired lady driving in the suburbs just because you don’t like her bumper sticker?
That was very rude of them to do that to you. Some just have no manners.
Yeah. What's up with THAT? The people here are usually so civilized. I was confused at first, since I didn't expect rudeness.
@Vjvals (939)
• Roseville, California
@ElizabethWallace If they are usually so civilized that's a good thing, I choose where you are. I use to see stickers on lots of cars but not much any longer, the world's gone bonkers
@Vjvals Perhaps you are right. Civilization isn't so civil anymore.
No way would I put a Republican candidate's sticker, not just a candidate running now, but even a Republican candidate running in past elections, on my car in my state of IL which ranks as the #1 worst run state in the USA. They would probably trash my car here in IL if a Republican sticker adorned it. Both parties are full of nasty folks. You are braver than I am, but shootings rose in the city of Chicago by 75% in January, so no Republican sticker on my car.
Yikes. Sorry your folks are not better behaved. I live in a quiet little suburb. I know it is full of conservatives, but I didn't know they were nuts.
@Marcyaz (35954)
lol Oh yes I can easily see that as some people do not want Hillary to be our next President.
I would think the proper response would be to vote for the candidate of your choice, not to go nuts on an opposing bumper sticker.
@Marcyaz (35954)
@ElizabethWallace Not everyone has good sense.
@msiduri (5777)
@ElizabethWallace "I would think the proper response would be to vote for the candidate of your choice, not to go nuts on an opposing bumper sticker." All too logical. All too reasonable. It just fails to give vent to the people who feel the need to express outrage at every opportunity.
Not one, but two people behaving like that. What happened to respecting others' opinions? What's OC?
@msiduri (5777)
@jaboUK OC=Orange County, the area of southern California just south of Los Angeles Elizabeth and I both live in. It has been historically thoroughly Republican (the GOP), the party opposed the Hilary Clinton. With regard to respecting others' opinions... mighty good question.
I think respect disappeared a few years ago. You can see the evidence on TV all the time.
@msiduri Exactly right. Very right winged around these parts.
@norcal (3260)
• Nevada City, California
Politics have become so hostile. I generally avoid expressing my political opinions in public, and I appreciate it when others do the same. Since I can hide behind the anonymity of the Internet here, I will just say that I am also voting for Hillary, and I do not consider her the lesser of the evils. I think she will make a great Commander in Chief.
Me too. She knows enough how to get things done. I like Bernie, but would be disappointed when he hit the same wall Obama hit. Hope he helps her get elected and then helps in the mid-term elections, which are so important.
I had just the opposite happen to me. I had one on my car that was regarding a senator and the fact that she was for canning salmon. I would get people rooting on or stopping me to ask where I got it.
I had two nice comments from people in parking lots and my neighborhood, but they were to my face. I guess when people make rude comments/gestures, they like to be protected by big fat cars.
@ElizabethWallace ....Well, and I think you take the chance upon yourself when you put the sticker on your car. There is always going to be someone who has to spout their opinion.
@celticeagle Perhaps, but what they did was actually dangerous, especially the woman driver. That is going too far.
People really get fired up about their politics there don't they? How rude! I don't too many Australians could be bothered but even that is changing.
People get wound up if you don't agree with everything they say. I think that would be a boring world.
@ElizabethWallace It's alright to disagree; not so alright to show your disagreement in this way. You don't need to go around shouting at people.
@JudyEv I agree completely. My neighbor has a stupid bumper sticker on her car. It's very insulting to the politicians she is targeting, but I don't care at all. I would never even mention it to her, as it is her right to both feel this way, and to express it on a bumper sticker. Guess the other side of the issue does not share our manners.
I think those two were very rude. They have no sense.
They were really aggressive too. I found it surprising and sad.
We never put any sticker on our cars.
The rest of mine are happy little stickers from a company called Life is Good. Stickers make it easier to find my car in a parking lot where they all are the same size, shape and color.
@CRK109 (14290)
Why do people think it's okay to be rude just because someone has indicated her choice about something? I thought we were all free to choose whoever and whatever we want...
No idea. Maybe they are intimidated?
@CRK109 (14290)
@ElizabethWallace It's possible. I think many people just feel that it's their right to be as vocal as they want about another person's choices without regard to the truth that we all have a right to our opinion and it's better to respect one another and just let it go.
@CRK109 See? People can be logical. You just were.
Yes I can, and almost had an accident because of it. My dad was a party person. Democratic. He always had a bumper sticker on the back of the car. I got the car at the end of 2014. I was on my way home from my sister's when someone was pointing at the back of my car and flipping me the bird. I had no idea what he was going on about. I had the car for about a month at the time. I pulled into the nearest parking lot, got out of the car went around the back, expecting to see something bad with the car but didn't. Everything was fine. It wasn't until I got home that I realized they were going on about the bumper sticker I had nothing to do with.
@annierose (17415)
Those bumper stickers are a big deal for them? I think it is not of their business anymore. Here in my country, people in the government are also not allowed to post anything in Facebook regarding who are we going to vote.
@annierose They don't tell us we need to vote for them, but they do try to persuade, which I believe is done in every country around the world.
@annierose (17415)
@just4him Yes, I agree. We will have an election here on Monday and I hope everything goes well and may it be a clean election.
@Dena91 (3934)
Sad country we are living in anymore. I grew up in a time when if you didn't like who your family, friends, coworkers or neighbors liked politically, you could agree to disagree and remain civil towards one another. I'm not prejudiced, I don't like any of the candidates this election cycle. They are the worst of the worst, both sides, that I have ever seen. Sorry that they were rude towards you.
@Ceerios (4765)
• Goodfellow, Texas
@Dena91 - Having read your sensible comment here, I think that I might want to vote for you. Regards, Gus Kilthau
@Ceerios (4765)
• Goodfellow, Texas
@ElizabethWallace - How strange it is that you immediately assumed that the finger-wavers and horn-tooters who so disliked your Hillary bumper sticker were "GOP - Republicans." My immediate thought is that they were likely all "Bernie" Democrat fans who ALL seem to really hate Hillary with great passion and so many of whom seem to have a tendency to freely exercise their fingers and horns in the manner you describe. (Some of us out here actually follow the news...) Regards, Gus Kilthau
Not where I live. The odds that anyone down here support Bernie are very very slim. I know where I live, and how most people here vote.
@Ceerios (4765)
• Goodfellow, Texas
@ElizabethWallace - Dream on. Regards, Gus Kilthau
@Ceerios I pay attention. I know the demographics here. I have heard the discussions of my neighbors. I am the only one in the area who likes Bernie, and I would never rant at anyone like these people did. I'm voting for Hillary, because I think she will do a better job, but I prefer Bernie's ideas.
Politics really bring out the best in people eh? I'm sorry someone honked and flipped you off. Some people just go too far.
It took me a little while to figure out why they reacted this way.
@silvermist (17126)
@ElizabethWallace Some do not want to see Hillary as President. They just can't even tolerate a picture of her.Dislike bordering on hate.
Sure. I get that, but how can these folks believe in the Second Amendment, if they don't believe in the First?
@Elizaby (3510)
• Pensacola, Florida
It is about the worse I have ever seen on both sides as there were many protesting when Trump was near where you are and had to get into the venue through a back entrance as the protest got violent
I remember the National Convention when "The whole world is watching". This is calm by comparison, sadly.
@garymarsh6 (12738)
OH dear how very rude. You should wave back at them regally with a nice big friendly smile. That will get right up their noses!
@slund2041 (3406)
I personally think people should live and let live. It is none of their business who you vote for. Do these people really think they will change your mind, by having a bad attitude about it? This is the type of people that I call childish. I have found when it comes to religion or politics people have no matters.
@annierose (17415)
I agree with you. When it comes to politics people lose all the things they have learned from school and universities. I do not think of them educated anymore.
@miniam (9272)
• Bern, Switzerland
People are sometimes mean, dont like what l have on my sticker,ignore me and go on with your business.Problem solved and everyone is happy.
@annierose (17415)
If everyone will have a mindset just like yours then there will be peace. I do not know what is happening to the world now. I hope politics like this never exist at all.
@DeborahDiane (17978)
• Laguna Woods, California
People are so rude. The last time I had a bumper sticker on my car, it was "Ross Perot for President" and I lived in Texas at the time. No problem there!