Look to the Skies...Maybe

@Raelove (17745)
Saco, Maine
I just read that pieces of Halley's Comet will be visible in the night sky this week. Unless our weather improves here and the clouds break up, the chances of us seeing anything are slim to none at this point. Some time in the 1960's, I saw what I thought was either a comet or a meteor, and I'm not sure if it was Halley's, as it was too long ago. According to one source, it last appeared to us some time during the 1980's, so I will never know exactly what it was that I saw that evening. I was out in the field behind our house playing baseball with some neighborhood kids and was standing on the "home plate" which faced west, when suddenly, a big ball of white fire flew across the sky above the houses and trees and was gone. I've seen shooting stars, too, but this was a lot closer and much bigger than a teeny star. According to the weather forecast, it's supposed to be cloudy and rainy right through to the weekend. I'll probably forget to look outside tonight anyway. So I hope that someone somewhere gets to enjoy Halley or what's left of it. I just won't be among them. (Public Domain Image)
It will be rain and clouds here also this evening, not that I usualy run out to see these things.
@Raelove (17745)
• Saco, Maine
I always forget, too.
@Raelove Even when they mention it a zillion times I forget LOL
@Raelove I always forget to look up at the sky on those nights.
That would have been quite an experience to see whatever it was you saw.
@Raelove (17745)
• Saco, Maine
It was. It looked a lot like in the photo I got offline. Moving in the same direction, too. Didn't last long. A bright flash then it was gone.
@Raelove I love researching, and I gave a quick research on when Haily's comet has appeared. I remembered the last one in 1986, but the last one before that occurred in 1910. I don't think any of us on my lot was born yet. And if somebody is I congratulate them! I hope the clouds in the sky depart for you to see it. WE have ominous dark clouds today here too, and we are supposed to get rain and thunderstorms
@Raelove (17745)
• Saco, Maine
@Marty1 No hope of that here, but thanks.
@CRK109 (14381)
I'll have to keep an eye out, although it's been pretty cloudy around here, too. Since I'm up on the 13th floor, I get a pretty good look at the night sky without too many lights around. It would be wonderful if I could catch a glimpse!
@Raelove (17745)
• Saco, Maine
Yes it would. Oh, it must be fun to live that high up. What views you must have!
@CRK109 (14381)
@Raelove yes the views are wonderful! Sadly it's raining tonight, so there's nothing to see in the skies above :(
@Raelove (17745)
• Saco, Maine
@CRK109 Nothing here either, and won't be to again tonight, as it's gray and gloomy today, too.
@shshiju (10550)
• Cochin, India
You are so lucky to see that.
@Raelove (17745)
• Saco, Maine
Well, if it's cloudy, I won't see a thing. Hoping though...
@shshiju (10550)
• Cochin, India
@Raelove Hallys comet comes in 60years is it correct.
@Raelove (17745)
• Saco, Maine
@shshiju Every 70-75 years. This one is now in pieces.
@fishtiger58 (30317)
• Momence, Illinois
Seems like every time there is an occurrence in the skies we get the clouds. I really hate that. I hope we can both see something.
@Raelove (17745)
• Saco, Maine
I know, right? Only rarely do we get to see anything around here.
@fishtiger58 (30317)
• Momence, Illinois
@Raelove I get so excited and then clouds. I have a camera that can take night shots. would love to get a shot but those darn clouds happen every time.
@Raelove (17745)
• Saco, Maine
@fishtiger58 Yes. We get a lot of the same weather you do. You just get it before we do. Sun peeked out today for about 10 min. That was it.
I will try to check it out. We have been having some very nice and clear days lately. I enjoy the history of Hailey's comet and the connection to Mark Twain.
@Raelove (17745)
• Saco, Maine
Where I live, it's densely wooded, so I can't usually see much open sky anyway. Good luck.
@Raelove....I live in 'the city of trees'.
@Raelove (17745)
• Saco, Maine
@celticeagle That's right. The word "bois" means "woods" in French. Must be beautiful.
@gudheart (12740)
That sounds strange! Wonder what it was. I could have been a weather balloon that was landing?
@Raelove (17745)
• Saco, Maine
No. That was moving way too fast to be a weather balloon. I've researched it, and it must have been a meteor. It's too long ago now, so I don't remember if anyone else saw it or what.
@gudheart (12740)
@Raelove Oh right. Could had been. Scary.
@Telynor (1385)
This is the Eta meteor shower, usually from the remains of comets that come through. What you saw was probably a fireball, a larger chunk that flared out as it burned up. It happens all the time.
@Raelove (17745)
• Saco, Maine
I saw this during the 1960's, not recently. There were a few comets during those years, so who knows what I saw...I haven't seen anything like it since.
I believe that I saw a shooting star once. They are something to see. What a wonder.
@Raelove (17745)
• Saco, Maine
Yes they are.
I always forget to check out things like this. It is very cloudy and rainy here where I live, so most likely I wouldn't see much anyway.
@Raelove (17745)
• Saco, Maine
Same here.
Weather forecast.Of and on rain or showers all week long.Go figure
@Raelove (17745)
• Saco, Maine
Yup, I know, Fredo. Just our luck, huh?
Weird that 30 years later, pieces of it are still trailing behind
The Eta Aquarid meteor shower should bring up to 30 shooting stars an hour, products of the famous comet that last visited Earth in 1986.
@Raelove (17745)
• Saco, Maine
OK, that's it. I'm leaving a note to myself to look outside tonight. Not that I'll see much with all the trees and security lamp-poles around here. And there are those clouds, too, which are parting now but may not later...
@mavlana (1025)
There are clouds in the sky from 2-3 days...but sadly no rain.
@Lucky15 (33669)
Oh... i will be checking that
@Macarrosel (7536)
I seldom see shooting stars.
@Bennkz03 (189)
• Zimbabwe
waal That's something else