Why today feels like a holiday even though it's not

@boiboing (12203)
Northampton, England
Today is not a bank holiday in the UK - we had that on Monday. In fact all our holidays with the exception of Good Friday and Christmas/Boxing Day/New Year's Day are Mondays. It seems to be a uniquely British thing that we do it that way. It ensures a 3 day weekend each time we have one of these days - two in May, one in August - and minimises disruption to the working week. The rest of Europe does things differently. They take the holidays on the date they should be. This means that last week my colleague in Holland took THREE days off for King's Day (which was the Wednesday - hardly worth going back to work for Thurs and Friday) and this week most of continental Europe is off today for Ascencion Day and many will take tomorrow as a so-called 'bridge day'. I don't get these days but I'm still happy. Why? Because I'm hoping for a couple of really fuss-free days whilst most of my colleagues are having time off. Add to that, I've woken up to a beautiful sunny day and birds singing in the garden. Clearly these must be new birds who don't know it's wiser to shut up when my three cats are around.
@amnabas (9945)
• Karachi, Pakistan
I love chirping birds in the morning.
@boiboing (12203)
• Northampton, England
My little cat loves it too - but usually because he's planning murder and mayhem.
@WorDazza (9893)
• Manchester, England
I didn't realise most of Europe is off work today. I'll not be hassled by my German colleagues!! Feet up!!
@boiboing (12203)
• Northampton, England
Enjoy!
@WorDazza (9893)
• Manchester, England
@boiboing I'd still rather be out on a long country walk with the dog!!!!
@boiboing (12203)
• Northampton, England
@WorDazza Me too. Might take a stroll round to the Coop to pic up some lunch and enjoy a bit of sunshine.
Have a fantastic day for you......
@epiffanie (9936)
Oh I hope your cats don't hear the birds .. lol Have a fantastic day
memorial day and labor day are like that, the other few holidays end up whenever. Most people don't get anything off, America doesn't do to well when it comes to employee perks on hours etc.
Glad to hear that you are having a few fuss free days. Hope it continues.
@gudheart (12754)
LOL the cat must be thinking their Christmas has come early!
@JESSY3236 (6095)
I don't like in UK, but the past two days were like holidays to me because Chris was here.
@Fleura (7113)
Sometimes it's nice to be at work when most other people are not there!
@xFiacre (4289)
@boiboing And you get to vote; what more could you ask for?