Almost Canceled The Newspaper

I called the newspaper number to cancel the paper in the town over. We have it delivered three times a week. It was getting too expensive. It’s $36.80 every two months. So we decided to just cancel it. My husband said they want to keep customers. So maybe they would offer us a discount. I told the lady I was canceling the paper. She tried to offer me just over a dollar a month discount. But we told her that was not worth it so just cancel it. Then she totally changed her tune. She gave us a discount price of $21.68 for every two months instead. Instead of $18.40 a month it will be $10.80 a month. That will save us over $90 a year. We will do that for now.
Newspaper subscriptions continue increasing while the actual paper shrinks. At least that's the way with the LA Times who wants everyone to subscribe online so they can do away with print.
@Raelove Sadly, the entire world is slowly fading away. And the online replacements? Short bit articles rather than full pieces. A quick one paragraph movie review as opposed to in depth analysis. A paragraph stating you shouldn't vote for so and so instead of a complete article presenting a thought out argument for such a stance.
@Raelove not if we can help it; I want my nieces and nephews to actually read leather-bound books, ink-printed newspapers and forget the circulars the last thing they need to feed is a shopping addiction, hee hee
@Raelove (13950)
• Saco, Maine
@enlightenedpsych2 Good luck with that. I don't know any kids who read real books, and none that read newspapers. It's hard to accept the fact that print is dying, but it is.
@nanette64 (11892)
• Fairfield, Texas
I work for the local paper in our little town @Susan2015 . It only comes out 1c a week. For Seniors, it's $26 a YEAR. Otherwise it's $30 a year.
@nanette64 Yes our local one is a dollar a week and it comes out on Thursday.
• Midland, Michigan
It probably has many more customers than the one that Susan gets and that's why they can have such a nice price.
@Raelove (13950)
• Saco, Maine
I got one newspaper delivered for awhile a few years ago then decided I was just throwing money away. Now, if I want to read it, I either go online or buy a single copy at a stand. I do get one of the more local papers here free, as I write for it. Otherwise, I'd never pay for it, as it, too, is too expensive for something I just end up throwing away.
I have tried to get mum to quit the Sunday delivery of a paper she can easily read on-line, but she insists it is not the same and I tend to agree with her but see no point spending lots of money on something I can line the kitty litter box with, cause heck its just news . . . usually bad !
@enlightenedpsych2 I like to have it in my hands to read. But we still might cancel it a little bit later.
@Susan2015 that is exactly what mom says
We had two newspapers. Ever since access to the Net we do not find to read both. We now have only one.
that's a nice savings, but I hope it's enough, I know money is super tight
@zarlamain (23642)
When we moved to our new home, we got a newspaper subscription for around $4.99. We thought it was very cheap, but the money started adding up and we were already on a fixed income and no one read the newspaper, so to cut back, we cancelled the subscription a year later.
• Midland, Michigan
Most places will try out the least favorable scenario to hopefully placate people, when that doesn't work they will make changes. Some will even lower it more and then more again. I signed up for computer repairs online at one point which I later cancelled as I wasn't sure it was legit. At first they offered their services for three hundred dollars, then lowered it and lowered it and lowered it again. I finally agreed to sixty dollars as a one time fee. I wonder whether they would have lowered it even more if I didn't comply with that one.
It's amazing how they were able to reduce their price once you said you were cancelling. That $90 is quite a savings and I'm sure you can use that money for other things
@Blondie2222 (16266)
Glad she changed her mind and gave you guys a better discount. We don't get the newspaper as it's expensive, we just get the penny saver. We read our news online or on TV.
@Marcyaz (36147)
That seems awfully high for two months worth of newspapers. I have mine on the net but I know it didn't cost nearly that much as my newspaper only comes out once per week.
@sunrisefan (16606)
To save on costs, I cancelled my newspaper subscription some years ago and simply relied on TV and the internet for news.
@waflay (2739)
• Nairobi, Kenya
It looked like an indirect bargaining and you were able to get a better deal for because she still needed you to continue being their customer.
I paid $56 for three months and we only got the paper once a week. They cancelled our route since there weren;t enough customers.
@Dena91 (3467)
Funny how they can "suddenly" offer you a discount. That's why we stopped getting our local paper a few years ago. It was relatively inexpensive the first year, but then when the renewal came it more than doubled. I talked with them and said I understand now why the paper industry is struggle, it's not the internet, it's the increase of price for renewal. Like yours, they offered a slight discount but wouldn't budge so we stopped. Have a blessed day.
@amnabas (9702)
• Karachi, Pakistan
Since the Internet and media is updating viewers all the time the newspapers importance is somehow lowered.
It sounds like that newspaper needs to keep its subscribers. We read our local newspaper online, we cancelled our home delivery years ago.
@Sreekala (18772)
Now the news is available in different formats and more quickly than the newspaper. So keeping the cost high will not help them. Glad they are reducing price for you.
@miniam (9309)
• Bern, Switzerland
That was a real discount and i too will keep the contract if you have the money.$ 90 a year is a real saving so well done you.
That is a great discount.