Referendum - vote carefully.

@xFiacre (9864)
Ireland
If you have a vote in the forthcoming referendum regarding the United Kingdom's continuance or otherwise in Europe please do vote wisely. The real word for Brexit is isolation, and will lead to a most intolerant and narrow-minded society in Northern Ireland. We really don't want to be going down that road. Europe has it's problems, but without the influence of a liberal Europe the lights may well go out in this little corner of the vineyard.
• Denmark
I wouldn't be surprised if people voted to get out of the EU and later regretted it.
@pgntwo (19719)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
The grass on the other side is always greener, until you're looking at it from that side...
• Austin, Texas
BREXIT is being vigorously reported on in the American news. I have heard some powerful arguments that would convince me that leaving the EU is the best option. The most compelling argument was the ideal of a democracy being under threat. So that the Americans could understand, there was an analogy made like this: Would you like the Mexican making the laws for the U.S. Citizens to live by? My answer is, of course: “NO! NO! A thousand times NO!!” - But is that really a true picture? Remembering back when the European Union was presented as an “idea” and/or an “ideal”, I thought it would be great! But sometimes things can be easily stated “in theory”, but not so easy to practically and successfully implement. Whatever the voters decide, I do hope it's for the best!!
@xFiacre (9864)
@cmoneyspinner The Mexico / US analogy is really a lot of nonsense. Europe has come together over decades of negotiation and since we are already in Europe we should be asking what's best for Europe rather than selfishly asking what's best for the UK. Brexit makes no sense on any level. Thursday will reveal all.
• Austin, Texas
@xFiacre - Thanks for offering a perspective and point of view. I thought the analogy sounded pretty extreme. Will be listening to hear the final voting results. I don't know why but even I'm in the US, I feel really anxious about the exit. It's not just what's best for UK or for Europe. I know it will have an unpredictable impact felt in other parts of the globe like US and China! Glad we'll all know in a few more days.
• Austin, Texas
@xFiacre - Well the VOTERS decided. Britain left the European Union. From the reports I see that it was a clear divide and really close! Kind of like our Obama-Romney election. Obama made it into his 2nd term by the skin of his teeth! The Prime Minister's resignation? WHOA! Didn't think that would the be first significant impact. However, I do understand David Cameron's stance. This is history in the making. He wants his “mark” in history to be unquestionable. I get it! So in the next few years it turns out the voters didn't make the right decision, Mr. Cameron will just say “Don't look at me! I told you so!” Did the nation heed wise counsel and vote for their own good? Time will tell.
David Cameron has resigned as Prime Minister after Britain voted to leave the European Union.
@boiboing (12533)
• Northampton, England
It would be bad enough in Great Britain but I hate to imagine the backward steps that NI would take. You guys are already being dragged kicking and screaming into the 20th century (let alone the 21st).
@xFiacre (9864)
@boiboing We have only ever learned to say No so far.
@pgntwo (19719)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
I find the use of the term BREXIT confusing. The actual ballot paper asks for a single X in one of two boxes, I hope people who vote realize this.
Good luck on the voting there.
@Inlemay (17163)
• South Africa
lets hope that the right voting is done with the right end result
@Asylum (45963)
• Manchester, England
I would actually prefer to withdraw from the European Union. The UK has lost far too much self administration over recent years and the situation is only likely to become worse.