Just Four Hundred Dollars Later and My Van is Working Again

work mini-van
Midland, Michigan
I got some mylotting done while waiting for my mechanic to figure out what was still wrong with my work van. I used my tablet and it worked out well. I was about ready to try writing a new discussion when the owner came in and said it was ready. I'm back home now. Originally, it showed a coil problem, which he replaced but when it still had problems he later found it needed a cam and some other sensor, so that was replaced. In the mean time he took out the new coil and replaced it with my old one. It seemed to be fine for him, but when I drove it home last night it acted up again. Today he put that same new coil in once more and took it for a lengthy drive to make sure it worked fine. I got gas and drove home. It was quite as could be with no further shaking. I guess the coil wasn't letting the firing take place as needed. (Don't ask me to explain it). At least we didn't need to replace the computer itself. Although 400 smackeroos isn't peanuts, it's still less than a newer older van would be, so I'm blessed. I have a vehicle to use tomorrow which was going to be a bear without it, and even better I can now plan window jobs for next week without worrying about whether the van would make it to the job or not.
That is great as you should always have a working car.
• Midland, Michigan
Especially for all the miles that this one gets. It gets me to window jobs and it gets me to my cashiering job. It's a lot of work working with only one vehicle when it's in the shop. I'm hoping it lasts two more years and then maybe we'll have the extra funds to replace it.
It is always nice to have your vehicle back.Good for you
• Midland, Michigan
And did you happen to notice? No snow in the background this time.
@MarshaMusselman Nope I did not notice and do not want to see it
Glad you got your van fixed.
• Midland, Michigan
So am I as I can't really afford to buy a newer one just yet. Maybe next year if we're able to get all the medical bills paid up finally, we can consider something like that, but my preference would be to put some aside first for a huge downpayment if we couldn't pay for the whole amount in full.
You do need something reliable when you are running a business. I hope you get no more trouble with it.
• Midland, Michigan
I hope the same thing, that it needs no more major overhaul until we're ready to replace it in another year or so.
@PatZAnthony (11971)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Always something when it comes to cars. Wish they weren't so necessary.
• Midland, Michigan
Well, if we wrote down each time the vehicle needed something we'd find, I think, that it wasn't always something. It's been a couple of years since we've had to do anything major on this vehicle and even then I don't remember it being this expensive. Any type of maintenance can be costly though, especially if and when we've not taken care of things as they crop up like on our bodies as we get older, teeth, homes pretty much everything. If it doesn't happen all at once we're doing good.
Yes better the 400 than having to get a different one.
• Midland, Michigan
Definitely. Now it's hoping and praying that it lasts another two years. I'm sure it may need some other expensive fixing before then, but hopefully not too often and maybe not at all.
Such a relief for you to have the van reliable again!
• Midland, Michigan
Yes!! I was a bit concerned that we wouldn't find anything out yet and tomorrow would be a fun day.
@PainsOnSlate (19771)
Your van and my van could be sisters. Mine is a rust bucket too. Hubby leased a brand new 2016 model and I insisted on keeping the rust bucket. I intend to drive it until it fall apart. It doesn't own me a cent. I love it for camping with no fear of dirt inside... $400 is a lot of money, I think that is what we paid for my rust bucket when we bought it used.Hummmm maybe $4,000...
• Preston, England
glad you are back on the road again
@blitzfrick (2912)
I hear ya! Glad the horse is working again. I just spent $400 to have the master cylinder replaced on my truck; it was $200 more than I'd anticipated, but a person generally needs the brakes to work, ammIright?
@zarlamain (24146)
Glad your van is working again. It's better than buying a new van.
@polyxena (2583)
• Sturgis, Michigan
I'm happy that you got your van working, $400 is a scary amount but you'r right it's a lot cheaper.
@garymarsh6 (12694)
And much cheaper having your mechanic to do it rather than a dealer!