I Like Unicorns

Boise, Idaho
I love the unicorn. Always liked horses and feel the mythical unicorn is such a handsome and interesting animal. I feel the unicorn is actually more the size of a goat with tufted hairs on feet and other places on the body. I even found a picture in a magazine one time of a goat that had been born with its horns twisted that made it look like a unicorn. In reading I have found some rather interesting facts about them. Thought I would share them with you: Marco Polo wrote that the unicorns were actually ugly characters. He had mistaken rhinoceros' for them. Ghenghis Khan did not try to conquer India when he was said to have seen a unicorn who bowed down to him. He viewed this as a sign and turned back. Bestiaries, collections in the Dark Ages, gave claim to the medicinal use of animals known during that time. This included unicorns and this was where it was said that virgins had great power over them. Alexander the Great says he road a unicorn into battle. Julius Caesar says he saw a unicorn in the forest in Germany. In Jewish legend the unicorn is said to have enough strength to be able to kill an elephant. The unicorn is said to be extinct now because Noah excluded them from the ark. All down through the ages unicorns have been depicted in history, on tapestries and in folklore and culture. The first depiction of this mythical creature was supposedly found in a cave in France. The Lascaux Caves and was found around 15,000 BCE(Before Common Era). This was actually two horses with two horns drawn close together. Two gold coins circulating during the time of King James III in the 1400's were called the 'unicorn' and 'half-unicorn'. Even the Chinese folklore there is creature called "the Chinese unicorn". The quilin isn't related to the Western unicorn. It has a head of a lion, the body of a deer and the green scales and a long horn covered in froth. The unicorn horn was sold in powdered form at pharmacies in London until as late as 1741. When it was most popular a unicorn horn was worth ten times its weight in gold. Image courtesy of Flickr.com Commons
My aunt collected anything unicorn. She was nuts over them. They truly are beautiful and mystical.
I used to until my collection was stolen. I like the real unicorn look though, not the ones that look like pegasus.
@celticeagle Aunt Monnie loved anything that had to do with unicorns. Jewelry, dishes, plaques, pictures, etc.
@ElusiveButterfly ...I do too if they aren't hokey and look like the Pegasus.
@zarlamain (24531)
That picture of the unicorn is quite the bling bling!
Yes, it is. I wish I knew where it was.
@zarlamain (24531)
@celticeagle Right? I would love to take a picture standing next to it!
That unicorn is beautiful.
Seems like it was not so mythical if a supposed horn was used in England as a medicinal additive till around 1740, great post on an animal I found fascinating in literature also
Makes you wonder that's for sure.
@celticeagle you know I remember my birth dad who kept a huge collection of National Geographic magazines and in one of them an article about a dozen single-horned animals that were not classified as a rhino but were classified as unicorns. Have you ever seen that one ?
@enlightenedpsych2 ....No, that would interesting. I wonder if was a birth abnormality or what.
@Marcyaz (35766)
I always thought that unicorns were beautiful creatures that someone drew to make a it a mythical creature. Thanks for all the information on the unicorns as a lot of this I had never heard before.
Sure. Enjoyed doing it. I wonder how the unicorns came into being. Who could be that creative to have drawn the unicorn to begin with.
@Marcyaz (35766)
@celticeagle I don't know but they are so cute to see.
@Marcyaz ...I think the more realistic ones are.
@mom210 (6526)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I used to collect them, that is until I had small children in the house. Now I collect small children.
I had them before too.
• North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
This comment needs a "LOVE" button!
@ElicBxn (60762)
I love horses too, and any of the fantasy horses are fine with me. Personally, I'd prefer a flying horse myself...
Then you probably like Pegasus.
@ElicBxn (60762)
@celticeagle Oh yeah! I wrote a myth as an assignment in my Greek mythology course that had Pegasus' tail "painting" the rainbow.
@ElicBxn ....Interesting.
I think the unicorn is very beautiful.
I do too.
I always wondered if rhinos WERE what people were writing about when they wrote of the unicorn. or if there was something else, because of, as you say, chinese unicorn
• Eugene, Oregon
I do wish that they existed. The idea of a unicorn is mystical.
• Rochester, New York
I love unicorns as well. I had a nice sized collection of them until we moved to the house we're in now. They were accidently tossed in the garbage by my brother's pal who was helping us move. lol
@cindiowens (3845)
• North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
I believe they existed. They may still.