Ralph Lives!

By Lola
@Lolaze (3164)
Awhile ago, I'd posted about Ralph – my Venus Flytrap – which I thought was going to die. He's still hanging in there! All the original leaves that were alive when I bought him have died, but new ones are growing. Currently there is one medium sized leaf that is beginning to open up into a nice looking trap. I don't think it will be terribly long before I can stick an ant in there and let him chow down on it. There is also a very long stalk with a tiny leaf on it. That one is going to take some time to see how it fares – hopefully it will turn into a nice trap. And finally, just the other day I noticed a new sprout coming out of the dirt! Here's hoping to a nice healthy summer with LOTS of flys.
I'm not sure we have that kind of plant in here or maybe i just don't know. But great to know Ralph is still alive!
@Lolaze (3164)
I don't think you do. They are something native to a small part of the US that are sold as novelty plants in this country. They have two leaves hooked together, when a fly or bug walks on the inside part of the leaves the leaves snap closed and trap the bug inside. Then it gets digested. Venus Flytraps need protein :)
@Lolaze Yeah i have seen a photo of that and what it does. We have a lot of bugs in here and i'm pretty sure they'll be healthy here
@AliCanary (1851)
This is probably a dumb question, but I've never owned a carnivorous plant. I assume you water them, like normal plants? And they need sun, too, right? The ones I've seen growing wild were usually in open sun near boggy areas. Do they have to have insects, as well, or can they just live like regular plants?
@Lolaze (3164)
They need sun and water like regular plants, yes. They just need a tastey bug once in awhile to stay healthy.
@ElicBxn (60895)
Good luck with Ralph! We have a vegetable garden, but I doubt anything like a Venus flytrap or other carnivorous plants would fare well with our, mostly, carnivorous cats. I say mostly, because if they find something green in the house, they are apt to eat it.
@acelawrites (12227)
Very interesting plant. I haven't seen one and I don't know if it will thrive in a hot country like ours.
Wow how I wish i have that kind of plant or something. but I only have the snake plant.
That is nice that Ralph is still alive.