My New Lawn Ornament

@fishtiger58 (30319)
Momence, Illinois
As some of you know there has been a water pipe project in my town. They are running new water pipes under the river from the north side of town to the south side of town. They are doing this through the alley that runs behind my house. Getting the water pipes under the river took a month. Now a new company is here to run the pipes down the alley to connect to the south side of town. Yesterday they put a fire hydrant about 2 feet into my yard. Hmmmm while this is good if my house catches on fire as the hydrant is very close to my house, it's just another thing I have to mow around. I guess I'm complaining a bit. I went out there yesterday and talked with one of the workers putting in the hydrant. He told me that this project is costing 1.2 million dollars. He also told me that on the other side of the river the road there has been and will be closed for more than a month. He was quite bothered by this as there is an 82 year old lady who has to park her car a block away because the road her driveway is on is closed and they are not allowed to use it. When any of the workers sees her walking to or from her car they stop what they are doing and help her home. He also told me that if they had moved the project just a block west they would have been on the edge of town and not bothered anyone with the noise or inconvenience of having their road closed and such. He also told me that having the project a block down from where they currently are would have cost less because of where the water pipes are there or something like that. They wouldn't have had to install as many manholes in the street. He figures they could have saved about $200,000 dollars on this project just by moving it one block. Hmmmm go figure our politics and tax dollars hard at work.
I know that sometimes it's better not to know all the details. I cannot believe that they are so poor planners. May be that for someone it was more "money wise" to spend more.
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
Or someone is making some money under the table. That certainly wouldn't surprise me.
@fishtiger58 That is exactly what I thought.
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
@LadyDuck And we are probably both right. Such crooks we have in our government here in the US.
@Raelove (17576)
• Saco, Maine
You'll be glad it's there if you ever have a fire! Look at it this way: you can plant flowers around it to pretty it up. That's what I'd do!
• Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Planting flowers around sounds like a good idea too
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
Well now that's a thought, I might just have to do that.
WOW! That bloomed a beautiful red color! Mine never seem to grow.
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
lol yea and it's really big too.
Amazing. So the hydrant is on YOUR property. Is the city paying you for having it there?
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
Yup it's on my property, and I was never asked. I know what they will say however, eminent domain. It's the phrase they use when they do something like this.
@fishtiger58 I wonder if they'll come mow the lawn then since it's eminent domain. I asked my son about what they did and he said it's most likely temporary. I don't know, it looks pretty permanent to me.
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
@just4him Nope nothing temporary about it, it's there to stay. And yea, no they are not going to mow it lol.
• Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Nice lawn ornament, I guess its for a greater cause and if worst case scenario a fire break outs, you have a fire hydrant on your lawn to the rescue lol
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
I know it's good to have but I would have preferred them to put it in the alley as opposed to my yard.
• Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
@fishtiger58 I agree, it would of looked better in the draiveway then on your lawn
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
@BACONSTRIPSXXX Yes they have the whole alley back there, they could have put it there.
@hereandthere (32754)
i'm glad they help the lady as much as they can it's the people who actually do the work who knows the most efficient and cost-effective ways, yet it's the people who don't that make the decisions. the workers are caught in the middle, adjusting how to do the work and answering questions from the man on the street.
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
So true, I was very nice and didn't complain to the workers, they have all been very nice any time I had questions.
@fishtiger58 it's a hard balancing act - following orders and minimizing inconvenience to people
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
@hereandthere Yes it sure is.
@CRK109 (14414)
When I lived in my house, there was a fire hydrant on my property, too. The good news is, if, God forbid, there is a fire, you have all the water you need right there!
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
I just hope when and if they ever have to use it they don't tear up my yard.
@CRK109 (14414)
@fishtiger58 yeah they probably would have to. their job is to save lives, not lawns. :)
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
@CRK109 Yup I understand that but one can hope lol.
the logic'f the government ne'er ceases to amaze, eh? i'm glad those folks're lookin' out fer that sweet lady - no doubt she's most appreciative. 's fer that fire hydrant? perhaps ya could holler't'cher home owners insurance'n see if'n they'll give ya a discount :)
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
I am going to be calling my insurance to see if I can get a break on my house insurance for sure.
@fishtiger58 i'd sure peg'em'n it. that's one'f the reason home owners insurance's so spendy out where i'm 't. there's no fire hydrants fer 'bout 8 miles i believe? (town keeps movin' this way, so aint certain). i told 'em my well's set'p fer such'n event, but they don't seem to conceive that notion. best'f luck!
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
@crazyhorseladycx My nephew lives in the country too and has no fire hydrants either around his house for miles
I think this sort of incompetence goes on all the time. No-one seems very concerned when it's not their money.
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
That is so true. They just keep taking our tax money for stuff like this. While it needs to be done, maybe not in this way. They are still out there working and it's now been a month and a half of this noise and mess.
@shshiju (10567)
• Cochin, India
Pipe makers or pipe looters?
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
Beats me pipe workers??
@PainsOnSlate (20508)
It makes no sense does it, crazy to throw that Money away but often that happens, saving money would be a sin for a politician.
@mom210 (6773)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I get so annoyed by the way they do things that waste money. Nice of them to help the lady, most people would just watch her trying to get home,.
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
It happens all the time, and it's just shameful. I'm glad they help the little old lady too.
This government spending needs to be put under a scanner the world over. It is best that we do not know anything about it as @Anna says. For you it is a pretty garden artifact and that's it. It looks pretty.
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
I wouldn't even say it looks pretty but it's there to stay.
Can they just put something on your property without your permission? That seems all wrong to me.
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
Oh I think they can, they will just claim eminent domain. Which gives government the right to claim private property for the greater good.
Although you will need to spend a bit of extra time doing the yard work, the location of this hydrant will lower your home owners insurance rates. We have a hydrant directly across the road from us, and our insurance agent advised us that this will lower our premiums.
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
Yes I have heard this as well, and will be calling my insurance to see if mine will be lowered.
I would like a hydrate closer to my house because the insurance WILL go down, now that you have one in the yard call and see how much you can save.
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
I am going to be calling the house insurance to see if my rates will go down.
wow that is truly crazy the amount of difference it would have made with just a block different. I have a fire hydrant on my property. It is not to far from the road though so really it isn't a burden to mow around thankfully. My dad is usually the one to do the mowing anyway.
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
I will have to mow around this, I just hope if they ever use it they won't tear up my yard doing it.
So kind of the workers to help the elderly lady make her way to her home. Somebody in power may owe somebody something.
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
Oh yea under the table, that's just my opinion. Yes they are really bothered that the little old lady is having a hard time getting home, it's just ridiculous
@Daljinder (22174)
So, basically all this trouble could have been avoided if a good plan and successful was made. Figures now they realize it!
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
Yes, the workers know it would have been better to move this project a block down the road, unfortunately they are not in charge and have to do what they are told.
Hopefully they are finished soon.
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
Sometime this week they tell me but who knows.