It Is the Season to Cool the Belly

Our pup Molly is a fluffy, fury pup. Her Chow Chow/Shepherd mix has given her a double coat. When the temperatures are around 50 degrees, Molly becomes uncomfortable when out and about for too long. A dog with a double coat like Molly's should never be shaved. Molly just gets a "summer trim" because Molly's double coat acts as her natural cooling system and protects her from skin cancer and sunburn. Molly is protected from overheating thanks to having that double coat in place. We walk Molly shorter distances when summer heat arrives. We do not walk her if the heat is extreme. The walks in warmer weather take forever because Molly stops again and again to cool her belly in the grass. It was only 65 degrees yesterday, but Molly, who has only her belly shaved, stopped to cool her belly on several occasions. When Molly does the belly-cooling thing, I stand there, twiddle my thumbs, and hope that the house we are in front of, for what seems like forever, does not have residents who may report me as a stalker.
Dogs with thick fur need a lot of grooming. Preiti has a short coat but in summer she sheds it. I just bathed her a while ago. She loves her bath.
@allknowing Preiti is a good little girl. Molly is not fond of a bath at all due to her stubborn nature.
@Corbin5 In the picture, Moly's pose shows that she is a stubborn little brat. (lol)
If you do it often, I'm sure they're used to seeing Molly taking a belly cool off on their lawn.
@just4him Well, we go to different neighborhoods in the area for variety's sake and those folks do not know us at all.
@Corbin5 That should be an interesting walk. Has anyone ever come out and asked you what your dog is doing on their lawn?
@just4him No, not yet. I am gotten some funny looks though and some laughs since my dog will not budge.
@theBlock (2707)
How much for your pup? I want to buy her....
@theBlock I bet that is a Molly look-alike in a shelter near you that needs a great guy to adopt her!
@theBlock (2707)
@Corbin5 I'll wait unit my cousin moves out, then i'll adopt---she's allergic to dogs :(
@theBlock My husband holding Molly when she was a baby. Hard to resist the teddy-bear look. Our son said she looked like a badger!
Wow a double coat that is a lot of hair, does she shed? Two of our dogs are part poodle so don't shed but the little one sheds like a banshee!!
@BelleStarr Molly only "blows her coat" twice a year and does not shed in between. Even when she does shed, it is just tiny clumps. We keep her well-brushed so no problem with hair falling off at all.
@Corbin5 We had a Malamute that used to lose her coat in clumps.
@BelleStarr Our former dog Bo was a clump-of-hair dropper too. The older he got, but more clumps. Bo went get up from his rest on the carpeting and I swear their was an outline of dog made of hair! I vacuumed every morning before work due to all that hair.
Molly is a beauty. She would be welcome to cool her belly on our lawn anytime.
@ElusiveButterfly Thank you so much for the kind invitation! Molly would be delighted to cool her belly on your lawn! You and I could give it a try too. That would be a sight for sure.
@Corbin5 I am too worried about ticks!
@ElusiveButterfly I remember being a child and frolicking on the grass. It was cool and soothing in the hot summer months.
• Walnut Creek, California
How does she go about cooling her belly?
@TheHorse She finds a cool spot of grass under a shady tree and stretches out so that her back legs go straight out behind her. It is a cute sight to see. The coolness of the grass in the shade is quite refreshing to Molly. In the house, she takes over my bathroom so the cool stone tiles keep her comfy.
• Walnut Creek, California
@Corbin5 Ah, great image! I bet it's relaxing and cooling just watching her!
@Missmwngi (10783)
• Nairobi, Kenya
oooh she looks adorable
@Missmwngi Thank you. She is our first girl pup and she is spoiled rotten.
@Missmwngi (10783)
• Nairobi, Kenya
@Corbin5 I wish i were her lol
I'm quite relieved that the belly in question is Molly's not yours
@jaboUK I have tried to mimic Molly's cooling method but people stare so I have stopped doing that.
@Corbin5 Oh goodness - the mind boggles
she's a beautiful fur baby :D i'd the need to giggle fer a bit o'er ya hopin' folks didn't think ya were stalkin' 'em whilst ms. molly's havin' her cool downs :) i've all short-haired pups myself 'n 'm most thankful. a pup like yers'd jest melt here durin' the summer'n fall.
@crazyhorseladycx I wish we had more common sense and not adopt the pups that look like teddy bears. She is teddy-bear pup number five. We will never learn.
@Corbin5 they're most diff'cult to resist, that i truly understand :)
She needs to stay in a cool place, I suppose she does not like hot weather.
@LadyDuck Molly does not like the heat at all but she has a doggie door that allows for 24/7 exiting and entering, and she comes into the air conditioned house if the heat is too much or her.
@Corbin5 She is a cute nice dog, I am sure she knows when it's time to come inside.
@Teep11 (7146)
That's good that you're finding ways to keep Molly cool. dogs really need to stay cool and have that water dish filled up with water. I don't blame Molly for wanting to cool down her belly.
@Teep11 Yes, Molly has an indoor water dish and an outdoor water dish in the shade. She delights in winter weather!
@Hate2Iron (8022)
I had no idea that some dogs should not be shaved... I will pass it on. I wonder if that applies to cats too??
@Hate2Iron I would think an outdoor cat would get really bad sunburns if shaved. My son and his wife rescued Gracie, a Persian cat, and they do shave her and keep her indoors at all times. They shave Gracie because Gracie is a special needs cat and she really does not know how to groom her fur and her fur gets yucky so they help her out with that.
• Preston, England
she looks a lovely dog
Thank you Arthur. She is a mutt, and she is stubborn as can be. We do love her.
@BettyB (4209)
• Summerville, South Carolina
Summers are hard on dogs with heavy coats. The shaved belly is a smart thing. I never would have thought of that.
@BettyB She really does enjoy the cool of the grass, but it is hard getting her going again.
@Macarrosel (7540)
Wow! I have a dog similar to Molly but Molly is more cute and adorable dog.
@Macarrosel So cool you have a dog that looks like Molly. I bet your dog is a cutie too.
LOL I would be embarassed standing there waiting for her. I imagine in this age of cell phones that most people are used to people standing around all the time. If you pull out your phone people probably wouldn't be phased by you taking a texting break while walking your dog. They may even think your dog is waiting for you lol...
@shaggin That is a great idea. Cell phone use would keep people from looking at me suspiciously! Whew!
@Daljinder (22177)
I laughed reading the title of the post! Molly is feeling the heat too, huh?
@Daljinder Molly was built to endure Arctic temperatures. Molly loves winter and the colder the better.
@LeaPea2417 (22051)
• Toccoa, Georgia
That is a nice shady tree and a pretty dog.
@LeaPea2417 Thank you. Molly is not a fan of heat but she has a nice air conditioned house to chill in.
She certainly is a beautiful dog our pups will be in need of a trim pretty soon too
@Marilynda1225 Thank you. We have to carry her into the groomer. She is stubborn as can be. Would love to see photos of your pups!
She probably rather be inside in the A/C when it gets super hot?
@AbbyGreenhill Yes, Molly has a doggy door so that she can go in and out 24/7. She spends more time in the air conditioned house on hot days.