I wanted to explain......Part One

Boise, Idaho
about my daughter and her disorder and her meds. It seems that several members who read my last few posts about my daughter, her manic episode and her medication, had some interesting views on these things. They seemed to feel the medication should totally erase the disorder. They don't. My daughter was mis- diagnosed back in her teens. She was on meds that made her sleep around the clock pretty much and made it difficult for her to function. Back in the 80's the psychological community didn't know near what they know now about these disorders. The trick with such disorders and mental illness is finding a medication or combination of meds that help to address the symptoms and help a person lead a positive and productive life. Medication does not always totally solve a problem or disorder but just helps a person to find a balance that they can live with. I guess tht many of you that responded to my posts about her felt the medication should completely alleviate the problem and it does not. Finding the right medication or combination of medications can take years. Take my case for instance. I was diagnosed with severe depression with panic attacks in 2006. I have suffered from depression for as long as I can remember. I have taken many medications down through the years. But, as with many mental illnesses, they get worse with age. And, the medications that used to help me no longer do. The side effects of many antidepressants are so severe I can't take them. I even took a DNA testing a couple of summers ago to see what medications might be best for me to take. So, I took the ones that the testing showed. But, each had severe side effects I couldn't stand so now all I take is one for anxiety. Finding one that a person can withstand is hard. I am still hunting and living with severe depression. (End part one)
@sallypup (30110)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Thank you for the honest and thoughtful explanation. I have fibromyalgia etc. I do not take meds because they fool with my brain cells and I still feel pain. Psych meds for pain! Side effects are just pure hell. A friend of mine and younger than me basically stays home cause of the meds she is on. They help and yet they do not allow her to really live. Best of luck to you and your dear daughter.
@sallypup (30110)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@celticeagle The doc said that I would not be woozy after a couple of weeks and the nurse said at least a month- as if I have all that time to throw away!! I have to be able to walk, to drive twice a day, to care for the fur crew. I can not feel like a moron unable to make even basic decisions.
@sallypup ...I know. But, the new med is helping you, right? I guess you have to choose which is worse. Sad, but true. Meds can only do so much.
@sallypup (30110)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@celticeagle The only thing I take now is ibuprofen once in a while- I worry about my liver and kidneys- and half a water pill cause the water pill also messes with my blood pressure. My ankles are still huge so I am not sure if I am helped or not.
@CRK109 (14381)
I have a friend who had a baby 5 years ago. She suffered postpartum depression and the doctor thought she was handling that well. And then my friend began hearing voices, telling her to kill the baby. And off she went into the hospital for treatment. It has taken her most of these 5 years to find out that she's bipolar and to find medications that really help her stay alive in this world and be able to care for her children with no problems. So I can understand the problems you've been having over the years. It's not fun and to have to be patient for so long is not at all easy!
What a horror story! I think that sometimes a major trauma to the body will bring these disorders on sometimes. No, being patient to find the answers and the right meds is no fun. But, when you do it is like heaven on earth.
@CRK109 (14381)
@celticeagle Yes, for the person involved and everyone who loves them!
@CRK109 ...and that is the key. Love of family.
@Lolaze (3168)
I remember when I was first diagnosed, back then they thought it was just depression. They put me on prozac which made me sleep 24/7. I know first hand that medication doesn't take away the symptoms 100%. Sorry if my post came across that way, was just worried about how manic it sounded like she was.
I'm glad you responded. I was trying to explain that meds don't. I think that everyone is an individual and react differently to this and to the meds.
It's sad when the cure is worse than the problem. I hope you're able to find a good balance one of these days.
So true. I thought we had.
Thank you for explaining about this. I understand now that a balance needs to be found, and how difficult that can be.
It sure can be difficult. Ugh! It's like living in a nightmare that never ends. You feel so defeated.
A problem with our modern medicines and the great progress we seem to have made over the years is that people begin to think that anything can and will be cured by just the right pill or pills. It just does not work that way. Not for cancer or viruses or mental illness or diabetes. Sometimes all medicine does is make our disease or disorder "liveable."
Yes, liveable and help the symptoms not be so severe. That is all we can really hope for.
I hear ya. I have depression, anxiety, and panic attacks. My doctor found a combination of meds that works for me almost a year ago and it is fabulous.
Just finding something that helps is such a wonderful thing. Each person is an individual and so the meds have to tweaked until the right one(s) are found.
@Daljinder (22181)
I don't know much about depression but I have read through accounts of people suffering from depression or other mental illness. I know that medication doesn't "alleviate" it. Like you said it helps in balancing. I don't even want to mention the side effects of those medications.
I have lived through the side effects. I could write a book. So disappointed.
it's hard for those who haven't be around, or dealt with in some way, to really understand what certain things mean. It's more a mitigation than a cure. There is no cure. not yet anyways