The Queen of Poisoners

Riga, Latvia
I know you’ve heard of queens from different lands. I suppose the most popular is the Queen of England because you always hear about her and the royal family. I bet you have never heard about the Queen of Poisoners, have you? We all know that there are lots of evil people in this world and this woman that I am going to write about really takes the cake. In Loudun, France they exhumed the body of Leon Besnard because the authorities were searching for evidence of poison. As the years went by local residents had been becoming more and more suspicious of his wife, Marie. Unusual as it seemed her entire family had died untimely and mysterious deaths and it was after the death of her mother that the authorities began investigation Marie. In August of 1929 Marie married Leon. When Leon’s great aunts died suddenly they left a great deal of their money to Leon’s parents. Shortly thereafter the couple invited Leon’s parents to come live with them. Not long after that Leon’s father suddenly died from eating a bad mushroom. Three months later his wife died as well and the neighbors began thinking that the Besnard’s were jinxed. Now the inheritance was divided between Leon and his sister, Lucie. However shortly after receiving her share of the money Lucie died supposedly having committed suicide. Now that so many family members had died being greedy the Besnards started looking for their next possible victim. They took in boarders called the Rivets. Incredible as it might seem these boarders died suddenly and Marie was made their sole beneficiary. Next up came some cousins called Pauline and Virginie Lallerone. After Pauline died Marie said she had mistakenly eaten a bowl of lye. Would you eat a bowl of lye in your right mind? It does leave a lot of questions to be asked. Virginie was none too careful and died a week later. Why did she die? She also had eaten a bowl of lye. Then in 1947 Marie fell in love with another man and Leon died soon after. When they exhumed the body of Leon they found traces of arsenic in his body and traces of arsenic in the rest of the family’s corpses as well. Marie was most clever and she was able to get a mistrial two times when trace evidence was lost during testing for poison both times. There wasn’t much physical evidence left by the third trail. Finally on December 12, 1961 Marie Besnard was acquitted. The French called her the “Queen of Poisoners” and she had managed to get away with 13 murders.
On this day in History, The Queen of Poisoners takes her toll on May 11, 1949. Learn more about what happened today on History.
I think I had heard of this woman but had forgotten all about it. She was pretty evil wasn't she?
• Riga, Latvia
At least black-hearted as they say @JudyEv
@RasmaSandra She must have thought she could just keep getting away with it.
@akalinus (12424)
Why was she acquitted? I know arsenic occurs naturally in many foods but I think all those people dying untimely deaths is more than a little suspicious. The fact that she had something to gain by their deaths does not speak of her innocence, either.
• Riga, Latvia
@akalinus that is incomprehensible but we can say that in those days they did not have the possibilities they do today to do all of the proper testing. Today she would have been jailed for life for sure.