The Disappearing River

@moffittjc (36904)
Gainesville, Florida
In northern Florida is a slow, meandering river called the Santa Fe River, which begins life at the spring-fed Lake Santa Fe, and then flows gracefully over 75 miles until it reaches and merges with the historic Suwannee River. One of the most amazing things about this river is that 33 miles downstream from its headwaters, the river disappears underground (located in the heart of O'Leno State Park), and then re-emerges back above ground 3 miles later in River Rise Preserve State Park, as it continues it's journey to the Suwannee! At the point where the river disappears underground is a large sinkhole that drains the water from the Santa Fe River down into the Florida Aquifer. The river then travels underground through an extensive network of caves and caverns before it pops back above ground. For those that have never seen such a site, it is pretty amazing! The land between where the Santa Fe River disappears underground and reappears 3 miles away is known as the Land Bridge, and it was across this land bridge that Florida's first federally funded highway, Bellamy Road, was built! Do you have any bizarre or cool natural phenomenons near you that make for an interesting story?
Probably, but I'm not an expert on them, since I don't do all that outdoorsy stuff much.
@moffittjc (36904)
• Gainesville, Florida
I'm always surprised by the fact that--although I am very active outdoors, there are still tons of undiscovered and unexplored (by me) places right in my backyard. It seems like every time I venture out, I discover a new park or forest or trail or conservation area. It's pretty cool to keep discovering things in a community I have lived in over half my life!
@moffittjc I bet it is, but that's just Florida. Here in SoCal, we have lots of wilderness areas in our hills and mountains, but they are dry and not pretty to my way of thinking. I'll let those who like chapparal enjoy it.
@moffittjc (36904)
• Gainesville, Florida
@ElizabethWallace I don't think I'd enjoy SoCal either. Although I haven't been, just from the pictures I've seen it doesn't look too appealing to me. Now northern California on the other hand....that is an area I would be in heaven in!
@VivaLaDani13 (16480)
• Perth, Australia
@moffittjc ooooh that river sure does sound amazing. I'd love to see it one day! Whenever I am a millionaire lol Or at least rich enough to travel. I can not think of anything worth praising about near me. No doubt there would be something out there but I'm not aware of anything special.
@moffittjc (36904)
• Gainesville, Florida
Last weekend, I came across something that was made in Perth. For the life of me, I can't remember what it was now. I was going to message you and let you know I bought something that was made in your hometown, but then I got busy and distracted and forgot all about it. I wish I could remember what it was that I bought! lol Can you think of anything that is manufactured in Perth?
• Perth, Australia
@moffittjc haha it's all good! If you do remember, be sure to let me know.
Yes Weaver caves, I went into those when I was a teen, not supposed to, but that was cool.
@moffittjc (36904)
• Gainesville, Florida
Have you been to Florida Caverns State Park? It's near the border of Florida/Georgia, not too far from the Alabama line. It's a small cave system, but it takes about 45 minutes to an hour to walk through them. Pretty impressive to have caves in s state known for its flatness and proximity to sea level! Or, how about Great Mammoth Caves National Park in Kentucky? That place is massive!
@moffittjc nope. The biggest I have been inside was the Desoto Caverns In Alabama. but those sound like a nice place for me to go roaming :)
@moffittjc (36904)
• Gainesville, Florida
@andriaperry I'm sure the Florida Caverns are nothing compared to the Desoto Caverns! I'm just happy that Florida can proudly claim that they actually have caves! lol
Not that I can think of off the top of my head. I went to somewhere called Cheddar Gorge, which is way over the other side of the country, and that's very pretty. An abundance of beautiful caves.
@moffittjc (36904)
• Gainesville, Florida
There is a place up in the state of Kentucky called Great Mammoth Caves National Park, it has the biggest cave system I have ever seen in my life! Those caverns are so big you could build an entire city underground! Believe it or not, Florida (which is completely flat and barely above sea level) has caves as well! The most well known are in the northern part of the state in a park called Florida Caverns State Park. Beautiful to walk through, but there are a lot of very tight spots to squeeze through. It can get quite claustrophobic!
• Eugene, Oregon
I just recently learned of a lake that has some similar features I want to write about.
@moffittjc (36904)
• Gainesville, Florida
I hope you get a chance to post about it! I love discovering new wonders of nature and reading about interesting places!