Venison Stew Anyone?

I was surprised that I didn't have to start work this morning until 10:00. As I really needed the sleep, I didn't squawk about having to use my earned time to make up the difference in my paycheck. For me, even an hour of extra sleep is a blessing. I slept until 7:00. When I woke, I tossed the wet laundry in the dryer and headed out to start the day. Hubby requested a venison stew for dinner. So I proceeded to slice up 2 big onions, diced 4 large cloves of garlic, and put them to sweat in a little EVOO in a big pot on the stove. Then I cubed up the venison. It was thawed about half way, which is the best way to cube it up as it is still firm. I coated the cubes in flour, salt, and pepper and put them in the pot to sear. Once it was seared I added about 8 cups of water and 7 beef bouillon cubes. The bouillon adds flavor to the broth and because they are salty I don't add any extra salt to the broth. I then added one more diced onion and 6 diced celery stalks. The stew has been boiling for about an hour now. Time to add the carrots. I usually cut up about a pound of carrots. Once added to the broth it will cook for about an hour. I would usually add about 3 or 4 medium sized potatoes that have been cut into cubes. Some add them in chunks, I prefer them cubed. But, time doesn't allow me to do that today. So, I'll prepare the potatoes when I get home and boil them while the soup is heating up. The potatoes will be added to finish cooking. And, maybe if he is lucky.....I may make dumplings too.
I wanna come over for supper!
I made a huge pot! You can bring Scar too. Not sure how my female cats will react to him though. LOL.
@JolietJake, how many dumplings would you like?
@ElusiveButterfly Make it four...I have to share
never made or had deer stew, but it sounds tasty
We are about to sit down to enjoy it. Have to let it cool a bit first.
@CoralLevang (40946)
May I come to your house for dinner, pretty please?
Coral I will set an extra place for you and JJ. How many dumplings will you have? And should I make dessert? Perhaps a nice custard.
@CoralLevang (40946)
@ElusiveButterfly I will eat one dumpling, and I will just have a cup of tea for dessert, please.
@CoralLevang you got it lady!
@peavey (15874)
Oh, my goodness, my mouth is watering! I love venison anyway and seldom get it any more. Your stew sounds so good!
I am boiling the potatoes now and getting ready to make the dumplings.
@peavey (15874)
@ElusiveButterfly I can smell it from here!
@peavey I can't wait for hubby to get home. I think I love the dumplings more than anything else. Reminds me of the stew with dumplings my mother would make.
I prefer beef stew. I had venison once, and that was one too many times for me.
If I made it for you, you would love it. It is all in the seasoning and cooking of it.
@ElusiveButterfly Uh, what time do you want me? If you made it, I just may be willing to try it again.
@DianneN I would have to make a new batch. We finished off that batch last night. I know you would like it if you tried my version of it.
@Drosophila (16858)
Wish I can get venison in Ireland
It is delicious!
They had deer in Scotland on the menu. I chose the fish. It was called Wedgwood on the High Mile or something.
@Drosophila (16858)
@DianneN yes the scotish is a bit adventurous
I have never had venison, but I´d like to try it. That recipe is for how many people?
I make a huge pot when I do make it. My husband will have 2 very large bowls for dinner. There will be enough for at least 3 more meals. I freeze some so we can have it later in the month with sandwiches. If there was a family gathering I would bring this pot filled with stew and it would easily feed a crowd. That is if they all had portions that would allow everyone to have a bowl. LOL.
@ElusiveButterfly I though it was a big recipe. I don´t have venison around, but I can do that with veal or pork.
@marguicha I have used beef too. But, haven't made venison stew in a while and I thought hubby would appreciate the extra effort. I've been kind of slack lately when it comes to meal creativity.
@LeaPea2417 (15448)
• Toccoa, Georgia
That sounds great. The last time I had venison was many years ago and it was not a part of a stew , it was just served with side dishes.
We have it whenever the mood strikes. The meat is from the deer that my husband hit with the truck this past December. I have a couple of roasts and steaks left in the freezer. Also have ground venison and sausage.
Your recipe sounds delicious. It's a long time that I do not have venison.
It smells so good!
I hope that you will make the dumplings, it would be even better.
@CRK109 (14351)
It's always nice to be able to fill a dinner request! Your husband is so blessed to have you! :)
Thank you Claudia. He gave me a compliment last night that I was a darn good cook.
@CRK109 (14351)
@ElusiveButterfly it's always wonderful to be appreciated. I'm glad that he complimented you and I see that you're both blessed to have one another. :)
@CRK109 he has become a bit more giving with the compliments over the 6 years we have been together. Some men take more time to train.
It sounds scrumptious.
I have enough left for 2 more meals. Well, maybe one. Hubby really liked it.
Dumplings...yum.
Oh they came out so good. Used butter instead of shortening and they were light and fluffy.
@Lucky15 (33691)
Ahmm. Do you have something left for an "extra"?