Birds Feeding Their Young

Photo credit:  Coral Levang
@CoralLevang (40680)
I was up at the crack of dawn. Of course, one of the first things I had to do is check the nest. There are definitely four in the brood. I still think they could be a fifth, but I cannot yet tell. Now that I have been reading up on the habits of these birds, which I shared in my post yesterday may actually be the junco, the behaviors are more recognizable. Though it may be a bit difficult to see in the photograph, the male has come back to the nest with food in its beak and is feeding it to the female sitting on the nest. Once this happened, he moved away a few inches, and then I saw something appear in his beak (likely regurgitated) and he went in back to the female. This was the point where I was able to capture this photograph. I wish that I had a camera with which I could get up close for this activity. But I am pleased to get what I can and watch the process. He flew off, and I observed her (tail in the air) turning toward the nestlings in order to feed them. While I was out on the patio this morning a bit earlier than this event, I heard a distinctive sound I have not heard in awhile. I peered over the fence and I saw a hummingbird near the fir tree in the back of my building. The quick flight pattern I observed confirmed it. Now that I know there are hummers in the area, I have put up a hummingbird feeder to see if I can draw them to my patio. I just hope that the housing management does not make me take it down. The "rules" say that we cannot have bird feeders in our yards. They do not want all the seed to fall and grow. So, I am stretching the rules a bit. We shall see. I think I want to name this little bird family. I need names for Mom and Dad, and I want to come up with names for the little ones. Of course, I won't be able to tell them apart, though I know the difference between the parents. But that's for another post. As I have done with the bird posts the last three days, as long as someone has commented, I will include more pictures for the day in the comment thread.
Fancy not allowing bird feeders - I'd hate not to be able to do what I like in my own home. Thanks for the progress report, glad they are doing well.
@CoralLevang (40680)
@jaboUK I know, and I defy them to make me take it down. LOL
Since hummingbirds don't eat seed, their feeders should be allowed. We have a mom bluebird sitting on eggs. I think 11 more days until they hatch. I can't wait to watch her teach them to fly - that's a hoot!
@CoralLevang (40680)
Photo:  Coral Levang, feet and wings
I have never seen birds as they begin the fledge. I'm really enjoying this "show." Here you can see the little feet and wings.
@CoralLevang They are still bald headed little ones!
@CoralLevang (40680)
@AbbyGreenhill You have to figure, the 3rd one is only 48 hours old. The other two older, just by a little while. There is at least one in there that's only 24 hours old, and the fifth about the same (if there are 5). I should know in a few days if there are or not, as they will not be quite as "floppy" and "lumpy" as they appear now. Once they are all really alert, I hope to get all four/five of their little faces.
@CoralLevang Have you considered a Small web cam with wireless abilities? It could be placed in the tree near the nest.
@CoralLevang (40680)
I wouoldn't know the first thing about that, nor do I have the money for it.
@CoralLevang sorry. just a thought. I've seen little cameras for about $10 for that purpose. The other thought is to see if a local bird watching organization is interested in doing it.
@CoralLevang (40680)
@Berniezeitler that would be great, but I live on a military base so that's not likely going to happen. I thought a good webcam to get because it would have to be have a light and it would have to do a lot of things would be a lot more expense, wouldn't it?
@Marcyaz (36113)
It makes you feel good to see a bird with its babies and feeding them with the papa bird in the act also. Loved your picture.
@CoralLevang (40680)
Glad to have been able to read up on them.
Amazing photo! Papa birds are very caring husbands!
@CoralLevang (40680)
That they seem to be!
@peavey (15874)
That's so cool to be able to see what's happening so well! Can you plant flowers the hummingbirds would enjoy? Like trumpet vine, maybe?
@CoralLevang (40680)
I have no place to plant things like that, so I'll leave the feeder. LOL I think they are attracted to fuchsia, but I'd have to remember to water them. LOL At least this time, there was a benefit to killing the plant!
Those are going to be busy, busy parents with endlessly hungry beaks to feed!
@CoralLevang (40680)
And from what I understand, they will do this again several times this season. I don't know if they will use this same nest though.
@KristenH (20384)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Aww. I love these stories.
@CoralLevang (40680)
Photo:  Coral Levang 48 hours
Thanks, @KristenH It's fun watching, taking photos as I can, and sharing them.
@KristenH (20384)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@CoralLevang My pleasure. They're adorable.
Ah, there he is. I didn't see him at first because he blends in so well.
Interesting ! Both the male bird and female bird do their parts respectively to raise their next generation.I can tell you are kind to those birds.
They are so cute when they fly off and come back to feed their babies.
You were able to get quite close to them. Most birds stay quite a distance from my area. We have a lot of cats roaming about. Mine are out at the moment basking in the sun. Before I let them out there were robins dining on the buffet of bugs and worms.
@bagarad (7917)
• Paso Robles, California
I was wondering how I had missed this and then I saw I wasn't following you. I was sure I was. These baby bird photos are adorable. I will have to find the posts I've missed that preceded this one. I only found this post because of the sidebar suggestions.