Should I be happy?

By DJ
@Daljinder (20928)
I got paid. I am half exhilarated and half sad. The payment didn't come as easy. It came with a hefty price. Oh! I am not talking about MyLot payment. My baby brother who is twenty years old got paid his very first salary. He is in training still. So, it wasn't much. And then add the fact that he only went to work for 15 days and then was put on medical leave for the next 15 days. Except two of the friends here, no one knows that he got into into an accident. His two fingers of the left hand were amputated. One-third part of the fingers were gone. He is still in recovery. And we are looking into getting a second opinion from a plastic surgeon. Okay, so back to the payment part. So, he got his salary and handed over the whole amount to me. Not many of you will understand why that is. In our culture, the very first achievement is credited to the women / girl in the family along with God for blessings. Be it a mother or sister or wife. Obviously, I didn't keep the money. I gave it to Mom. He did insist that I and my female cousin to go have a treat. Oh! He gave her some cash too. My other brother had done this too when he got paid for the first time. That was years ago. I hope and pray that he gets tremendous success in his life and be an example for those who don't see and believe in the goodness in him. They only see the bad. (Photo by Pixabay)
@acelawrites (10924)
So interesting tradition, comparable to respecting women in the family. Are his fingers treated/well now?
@Daljinder (20928)
@acelwrites That tradition can also be followed by giving or gifting something from the first salary to your elders. His fingers are being treated. He gets the bandages change every two days and doctor is keeping an eye on how the wound is healing.
@nomus24g (20294)
Ohhh...thats such an unfortunate situation, hope he recovers soon...what kind of accident did he face!!
@vandana7 (61137)
He cut his fingers.
@nomus24g (20294)
@vandana7 that's outcome of an accident he has met & hence my question
@vandana7 (61137)
@nomus24g ... accidents are not essentially automobile accidents...industrial place accidents where machines can cut fingers..
@Lucky15 (33450)
Is he really okay?
@Daljinder (20928)
@Lucky15 The injury is painful. He is reluctant to get any surgery done coz doesn't want to deal with the pain again.
@Lucky15 (33450)
@Daljinder aww. Really?
@Daljinder (20928)
@Lucky15 Yeah! We want to consult a plastic surgeon. But he is panicky. Always have been wary of blood.
@MsTickle (24991)
I think it's hard to be truly happy under these circumstances. How about you be hopeful instead.
@Daljinder (20928)
@MsTickle Yes I should be hopeful. I am for his better future. Thank you!
@vandana7 (61137)
Yeah...perfect blessing under the circumstances.
@Daljinder (20928)
@vandana7 I thought so too...
That's a nice tradition . Though , didn't she use it for his medication ? But that was generous of him really .
@Daljinder (20928)
@SIMPLYD His medication and his doctor's appointments are all being paid by our father. Sometimes my second brother pitch in too. Mom and I make sure that he eats healthy because he lost a lot of blood. We live together and he is essentially the baby of the family.
@Daljinder That's good to know .
• Portland, Connecticut
That is a very wonderful tradition and I hope that he is recovering well. sounds like a dangerous job.
@Daljinder (20928)
@BelleStarr Thank you! Yes he is doing well. The job is to work with computerized machines. Still there is some manual work involved too.
What an overkill of smileys.
@Daljinder (20928)
@MALUSE I had nothing better to do today. Almost all my work is caught up..... So, having a emoji day today. I edited it....
@thesids (22367)
• Bhubaneswar, India
@Daljinder (20928)
@thesids *code message* Only Vandana and Valerie knew this.
@Daljinder (20928)
@thesids Wow! That was very good thing to do and the best way to use that money.
@VivaLaDani13 (17262)
• Perth, Australia
@Daljinder Oh my goodness! I am SO sorry about your brother! That happened to my cousin only it was some of one of his fingers. I never heard of that before! Lucky girls! We don't have anything like that here! lol I got nothing when my brothers made their money! haha
@Daljinder (20928)
@VivaLaDani13 He refused any consultation for the time being. The injury was painful so it has spooked him. He doesn't want to feel the pain again. We have decided to let him be for now. Will reconsider later when the memory of pain is not fresh in his mind. We have different traditions. Its fine.
@vandana7 (61137)
Your love for that little brother is so obvious...hope it heals and some plastic surgeon can do some miracle...
@Daljinder (20928)
@vandana7 We are hopeful that a surgeon will be able to help. We came to know about this well known hand surgeon Dr. Aditya Agarwal. We will look for his contacts and have him to consult.
@SHOHANA (7097)
• Bangladesh
wish your brother a better future ahead! you are also a good sibling
• Pleasant Hill, California
Interesting cultural tradition. I hope he does OK with his hand issues.
@cacay1 (32521)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
I learn now your culture.I hope your dear brother can have a full recovery of his despair losing his fingers.You have a very nice brother.