Oh No - Another Speeding Ticket.

Image from Pixabay.
By Jabo
United Kingdom
This morning I received a letter with the ominous words 'Norfolk Constabulary' on the back of the envelope. We spent last week on the Norfolk coast and had a great time, but it seems that whilst I was there I was a naughty girl. Apparently I had been caught on camera doing 36mph in an area where there was a 30mph limit. How I long for the old days when there were no cameras and you could usually spot the police in time to slow down. Even if you didn't manage to evade them, for an 'offence' like this (only 6mph above the limit) the officer would usually just caution you and tell you to be more careful in the future. But there is no compassion from a camera, so now I expect that I will get a £100 fine. Sheesh. I drove for 40 years with no convictions, but in the last 15 years I've collected 4, including this one. All due to those sneaky cameras. I know you will probably say that I shouldn't have been speeding, but 36mph at 10.30pm when there was no other traffic? Hardly the crime of the century. Have you ever been caught speeding?
I have not been caught speeding, but have been caught for not coming to a complete stop when making a "right turn on red." That was a $100 fine. I saw the video and I did stop, but not complete enough.
@Corbin5 You were lucky - @msiduri was fined $500 for a similar offence!
@jaboUK Wow! I was very lucky! We have cameras all over the place here and the one that fines you for making a turn on red for a left turn is a scary one. You are in position to make a left turn and your car is out there ready to turn and the yellow turns to red and a ticket you will get. I went online to find where are the cameras are in our area so that I can avoid them.
@Corbin5 That's a good idea - I didn't know that you could find out where the cameras are located.
I have fully expected to get caught by the cameras in England but we never have. Here we really don't have speed cameras in our area. I have never received a speeding ticket but have been stopped a few times, I usually cry and don't get a ticket!! I know, my bad!!! But it works plus I know a lot of people so that helps too!! including police officers.
@BelleStarr It's a lot easier dealing with real live people, isn't it? I never actually cried when I was stopped, but I may have been guilty of fluttering my eyelashes a bit! (I was a lot younger then!).
@jaboUK the crying worked the first time when I was 16 and so I figured why not!! lol
• Newcastle Upon Tyne, England
@BelleStarr this reminds me of a friend she was stopped with no mot or tax, and got of with just a warning, I'm sure the fact she's a pretty blonde had nothing to do with it
Once, several years ago a new freeway opened on the westside of LA, the 105. It was huge, wide and empty the morning it opened. There was no frame of reference for speed without looking at the speedometer, which I did not. I was flying according to the cop who pulled me over. He warned me and let me go without a ticket, because he found it funny. Whew.
@ElizabethWallace That just illustrates my point - a real policeman can exercise his discretion. You were very lucky.
@jaboUK And I knew it. I was really confused as to why he pulled me over. I had no sensation of going fast, let alone as fast as I was.
hehe I never drive as I have no car so I have zero tickets
@Hatley Have you never driven at all?
I would never speed for any reason. A speeding driver hit my child and could have killed her. I am glad they have the camera hooked up. Maybe it willl slow a driver down and save a life.
@sharon6345 I can understand you feeling that way as your daughter was hit.
@Marcyaz (35591)
Not really but I was cautioned by a motorcycle officer to slow it down, no ticket involved thank goodness.
@Marcyaz That has happened to me in the past, but a camera won't give you a talking to
@Marcyaz (35591)
@jaboUK Never received one of those I had heard people can go to Cory and win a case with those.
@Marcyaz What's Cory?
@Inlemay (17144)
• South Africa
A few times, but When I do the crime, I dont mind paying the fine!
@Inlemay Ok, I suppose I'd better emulate your attitude.
@Inlemay (17144)
• South Africa
@jaboUK thats a good girl - it happens some times,not on purpose, but the fine brings us back to reality - Making a good contribution to the Traffic Departments Christmas bonuses
@Inlemay Now you mention that - I wonder what they actually do with the money?
Never caught on camera. I got a speeding ticket after an appointment and my grandson gave me a speech. I won't do that again.
@celticeagle I say that every time - 'I won't do that again', but I'm afraid I do. I get careless and forget to check the speed. It's not like I'm doing 60 in a built-up area.
@jaboUK ....It's pretty bad when your grandson gives you a lecture.
@celticeagle I can imagine
I have had parking tickets, but (knock on wood) no speeding tickets. Here, they usually do not bother you for six miles per hour over the speed limit unless you are in a residential zone. Then again, residential zones are usually 30 mph. Were you in a residential zone?
@purplealabaster Yup, residential zone I'm afraid
@jaboUK Yeah, they tend to be harder on people here for that as well, because too many children have been hit from people speeding through residential areas.
@ida123 (6234)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
No because I don't drive, only my husband does but he never caught over speeding and besides, we don't have cameras around here, so my husband wasn't caught over speeding. My Dad also drives but he never does over speeding.
@ida123 If you don't have cameras you are much less likely to be caught.
@ida123 (6234)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@jaboUK Indeed, more speed violators were not caught especially night time because of no cameras installed.
My husband got one speeding ticket years ago.
@Tampa_girl7 Only the one is pretty good.
@jaboUK yes, he has been lucky.
@sueznewz2 (10161)
• Alicante, Spain
Well I never ... and here I thought you were good.... no joking aside...those cameras are a pain in the bum...., i've been very fortunate..and have not been caught...but am sometimes a bit naughty.... but the cameras I dislike the most are the ones on motorways and dual carriageway... called the average speed cameras...where there are several cameras based over a stretch of road and they measure you're speed and calculate you're average speed...not the speed you were doing when you passed the camera.... the average speed you've been doing between the two cameras....yeuch... still back to you... i'm sorry you got caught... and like you said...fines to pay ...
@sueznewz2 I haven't been caught in those average speed things - yet! And it does seem like a paltry thing to be fined for - only just over the limit.
@sueznewz2 (10161)
• Alicante, Spain
@jaboUK yeah ... I agree ...
@sugartoes (43297)
• Greencastle, Indiana
oh GOD yeah I had to leave Fla for all the speeding tickets that I kept getting & had been driving for YEARS before that with out one so when I moved here I just gave up my lic after they expired cause I told my husband I have retired in driving.
@sugartoes Is there a limit on how many tickets you can get before you lose your licence? Here the limit is 12 points, and you get 3 for a speeding offence. They do drop off after 3 years though. I'd hate not to drive any more, especially as my husband has given up.
@sugartoes (43297)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@jaboUK yeah I can get mine again but I refuse to cause as long as my husband can drive I'm good cause he has this thing about trying to tell me how to drive & drives me NUTS so I just let him drive
That seems a ridiculous amount to pay for going over the limit. Darn those cameras!
@DianneN It does seem steep, but that's what I had to pay the last time I was caught about 3 years ago. Prior to that it had been £60.
@Shiva49 (14285)
Sorry to hear about this. Hopefully any fine will be waived when you attach a copy of this discussion topic and the responses you have received! No traffic offense yet but I have not been driving for twenty five years! siva
@Shiva49 Lol - if only it worked like that. Well done in not violating any traffic laws - or in not getting caught!
Yes but the officer laughed at me and since we had the map out he let it go. I was doing 75 in a 55 zone
@andriaperry You were lucky - 20 mph over the limit! You must have charmed that officer. There's no charming a camera though
@Bluedoll (17050)
I find that is a dirty way to police and haven't had it happen to me yet but i know it could. I guess we need to slow down like everyone else. Yeah right!!! Like that is so true. Not. Sorry you got nabbed that way.
@Bluedoll It wasn't as if I was going like a bat out of hell. I'm glad it hasn't happened to you yet
@Bluedoll (17050)
@jaboUK I guess if you had been the letter you got would be even worse.
@Bluedoll I suppose so. This first letter was for me to just confirm that I was the driver, but it was headed 'Notice of impending prosecution'! Sheesh! When I have replied, they will then tell me how much I have to pay.
I've had lots of speeding tickets, and I've even managed to get out of a few speeding tickets. I didn't realize that you are in miles per hour, I thought that you would be in km/h as we are in Canada.
@Juliaacv No we're still with mph - I hope it stays that way. So you've got away with speeding - so have I when I was younger and could actually talk to the policeman concerned. Not any more.
@jaboUK When we went metric, back in the 1970's we did it all the way. You can change the speedometer on your car to mph, but we never do that unless we cross over to the states.
@Juliaacv So you don't use pounds and ounces either?
mercy, seems those camera's jest 'bout e'erywhere these days. i'm knockin' wood 's i've ne'er been issued a citation, nor pulled o'er fer speedin'. i've been pulled o'er fer more ridiculous schtuff. i could write a few chapters jest'n that, lol.
@crazyhorseladycx Glad this hasn't happened to you, Crazy. Why don't you tell us about some of your experiences?
@jaboUK the hubs used to get tickets quite frequent when we first got together. he was pushin' his luck when he got his last'un, leavin' only one "point" 'fore they jest took his license 'way. i told him he was gonna regret his led foot when he'd the need to either saddle'p a pony 'r ride his bike the 38 miles to his workplace'n back :D now, ya know that i'm prone to fergettin' to dribble 'bout such, don't'cha? lol i'm still tryin' to recall the last thingy ya told me to dribble 'bout :D
@crazyhorseladycx Just jot a word or two down to remind yourself. I've always got a notebook next to my computer and that's what I do.
I have been caught speeding a handful of times in my life. Once by a camera. I am awaiting a letter with a ticket for running a red light! Can't believe I did that! It has been two weeks, maybe there was no camera there! I better count myelf lucky and smarten up!
@paigea Oh sheesh! I missed this comment and I've only found it because someone else has put a new response here. Sorry. I hope you got away with running that red light. My misdemeanour cost me £100 and 3 points on my licence.
@jaboUK I did get away with it, it seems as I havne't had a ticket yet.