On TV They Say The Economy Is Better

Where is the economy better? How are things in your town? We’ve lost a lot in our little city. Many businesses over the years have closed down. There are hardly any job openings here at all. Most of the jobs are in the towns over from us. On Indeed.com I’m always on the lookout. Sometimes it shows how many people have applied for a position. Many of them have well over 75 applicants each. For a job here in my own town at an office, they had over 75 resumes submitted. Of course they are not all from our town I’m sure. I think many of the applicants are from a few of the towns surrounding ours. But that many applying for the same job is a lot. We are getting a Taco Bell here. It’s a start.
taco bell is a good sign, should provide some needed jobs
When they claim that the economy is better in our area I tend to think that they are referring to a larger area as ours is still struggling. There are a few very large employers, who pay out very largely, but if you do not work for one of them then you are a regular worker making a fraction of what they make and quite often you are commuting. My husband commutes 40 minutes each way every day because there are no openings in the manufacturing sector in our area.
@PainsOnSlate (20083)
I moved north of the US years ago, the economy here in Canada is a bit stressed but nothing like what you are experiencing in the States. When you hear we pay so much more tax remember our Medical is free...no one is refused at a hospital because they don't have insurance.. we don't need insurance.
It would be nice if it was the same here.
@Susan2015 I had hopes because Obama had the right idea but the Republicans made sure he was not successful. We still have duel citizenship.
I guess the economy's a bit better here in California? But I live if one of the more expensive areas where you still need like three jobs for a one bedroom apartment.
In the Chicago area, the economy stinks. People who find jobs do not often keep them due to layoffs. The media hype is painting a false picture. In the USA, 8.3 million are unemployed. 6.4 million haven't looked for work recently enough to qualify as "being in the labor force," but are looking, and 6.4 million people who are working part-time are looking for and need full-time work. Sad statistics.
@Corbin5 I think it stinks in more places than they say.
@Susan2015 Me too!
A Taco Bell? Who is going to go there if people have no job?
@marlina The same ones who line up at McDonalds. The service and food isn't always the best but they are always busy.
@LoriAMoore (4786)
I think my city is doing pretty good. Housing sales are up, there are more job openings than people willing to take them.
Jobs are very hard to come by here.
i dunno where they get there statistics neither, hon. i wonder if'n they'll be usin' locals to build that taco place, 'r bringin' 'n a crew from elsewhere?
@addy007 (725)
what is your opinion ? is it better
I live in Los Angeles where all appears normal on the surface but unemployment is high and businesses big and small have closed or in trouble.
we are getting a Chiptole here.We all ready have Taco Bell.
Our little town is so small there are not many businesses to begin with. We did get a McDonald's last year and I now for a fact that business owners can't find enough employees, there just aren't enough people to fill jobs.
@scheng1 (24811)
They are right because they use the wrong statistics. The statistics show that there are more jobs created, but they forget to add that the jobs are not paying much, and the jobs are not all full time jobs. If a place hire 10 part-timers, and each part-timer works just 4 hours a week, that is counted as 10 jobs, not 1 full time job. The combined hours worked is just 40 hours which is 1 full-timer.
I wouldn't say it's great, my worst complaint is why does food cost twice as much as it did a year or 2 ago.
We have the same problems in our town. Too many businesses and manufacturers are leaving town. Fewer jobs available. Way too many applicants for jobs that pay little, but because there are less opportunities for employment, people jump on anything that comes available. Walmart is opening a larger store in August. They are taking applications now. But, I am sure the wages are low. Even so, people are applying.
@Lolaze (3117)
There are more homeless people than ever in my city, I know that much.
• Preston, England
we often hear claims of economic improvement but it is often just governing state propaganda