Clearing the Air

Yesterday I read a discussion that got me thinking. It was in regard to members not reading or commenting on discussions. And although we are all guilty of missing a few discussion here or there, when it becomes the norm to miss them, that is what is disappointing. And you know, I find that those that follow me, and I follow them, and I read and comment on their discussions and they will comment back, yet some of them never ever read or comment on any of mine to be a similar problem. And again, we all are guilty of missing a few discussions of those that we follow, but when it becomes the norm, I question it. I don't think that we have to keep a score card, you liked and commented on 3 of mine, so I owe you that many. And most of the time I overlook it, but its been on my mind for a while now, and I thought that I'd bring it up to discuss. That rich give and take that makes a discussion a discussion and actually makes the site what it is seems to be one-sided at times. Where is that, or is it just me, or just my discussions. What are your thoughts?
@Marcyaz (35693)
I try to always respond but sometimes I know I might miss one or two here or there but it is not done intentionally. A lot of times I shut down early so I don't respond until the next morning but I do respond.
I only have certain times of the day that I can be online too, so I understand that.
@Marcyaz (35693)
@Juliaacv Great to hear you do understand that there are other things need doing.
@Marcyaz We can only a lot so much time and energy to the site and how we disperse that is individual.
I think people get busy with life and reduce what they do in one area when they increase their activities in another. Maybe that's what is going on with them.
I know that I see a big difference depending on the time of the year as well as the day of the week. This has been an interesting discussion as so many people have various ideas.
@Juliaacv I use my notifications first, then look under my recent discussion and visit there. Finally, if I feel like spending more time here, I go to Follows and read the discussions of those I enjoy reading.
@ElizabethWallace That is exactly how I do things.
@Lucky15 (33417)
I keep not that much of whom i follow. Those i can really keep. And if i missed a lot...i really try my best to get to theirdiscussions Being those people who love to just receive, hope they won't complain if no one bothers.to check their diacussions
I try to be very faithful to those that I follow, although sometimes if they post multiple times in a day, I cannot get to all of their discussions.
@Lucky15 (33417)
@Juliaacv glad that they post two in a week, most of them.
@Bluedoll (17071)
If myloot was a writing site I would say yes to... if someone reads someone's post then that person should return the favour type of arrangement. Not saying a person shouldn't suggest something like that or look for people that will agree to those terms. If that is what a person wants out of the site then go for it. However, for a social site that pays for interaction regardless of how much money is involved I think we might also be getting buddy exchange agreements, cult like money memberships and people robots?
That thought had not occurred to me.
@Bluedoll (17071)
@Juliaacv You can kind of tell by the comments.
@Bluedoll yeah, some are almost an auto reply, and those are pretty transparent. I do love the rich interactions developed thru the comments section.
@Blondie2222 (21398)
I have missed a few of my discussions lately because of having surgery. I did make sure to go back and respond though when I felt well enough to be on the computer. I can see that it can be frustrating when one person tries to communicate but others do not back.
You are a trooper, you do so much given what you have just gone thru. And you're right, it makes the communication easier.
@Blondie2222 (21398)
@Juliaacv ty, i even went back to work yesterday. I'm so exhausted still as i'm not sleeping at night being uncomfortable but hopefully that will pass soon
@Missmwngi (9573)
• Nairobi, Kenya
I always try as much as I can to comment as much as I can but I must agree there are some people who never bother
Are you still apt to read and comment on those member's discussions?
@Missmwngi (9573)
• Nairobi, Kenya
@Juliaacv My priority goes to active people,new members and the rest later
@Lolaze (3165)
I know I don't comment on every discussion of the people I follow, there isn't time some days. And sometimes I don't get back to comments either. I simply do my best and I think that is what the best MyLotters do.
And I get that, because I work too and have so many other things to do. I think that the individuals that do this, probably do not even realize that they are doing it, I have a feeling that I'll find out that it is a completely innocent action, but I would really like to hear.
@Lolaze (3165)
@Juliaacv I agree. I think those who do it don't realize they do.
@cintol (5422)
I don't expect anyone to read mine because I read theirs. I don't even write that much so I probably don't have much for people to read. I like to just read a lot of peoples stuff and if I can make a comment I do, sometimes there is just nothing I can say about a post but I always like them. Sorry you are feeling bad about this.
I'm questioning it is all. I love the back and forth of it all, and do my best to provide that, when I can, on other's posts, but it isn't always a courtesy returned to me, so I wanted to get people's take on it. I am going to be easier going forward, that much I've come to realize.
@PainsOnSlate (20243)
The way I work this site because I have limited time is I return comments, likes by going to the people who have commented on my discussions. I read like and comment...its only fair... Then if I have time I visit some of the people who I am following and they are following me but I haven't run into recently. I don't know if they return the favor, but It a freebee from me if they don't. I often go to the newbies page and read, comment, like, and sometimes it works, they turn out interested in following because they are in it for the right reason. The notifications I get every day for people following me, I never follow back until they show they are interested in working with the give and take. The interaction. I look at their stats, if its 0, 0, 0, 0 I forget them. If they are commenting , liking and reading, I know they are a possibility... I do go through my following list every once in a while and if someone who is there that I never see, I remove them.
I do not get a chance to go thru the new members page very often. But its all on how we work the site. I rarely wander off of my list of followers, and I think that I may be limiting myself unnecessarily.
I like to comment to what I can add to for the most part. Often times I can't find a word to add to the conversation. I will move on and comment else where. I am also not going to read three post of someones because they read three of mine. I don''t think that is fair. I think it's best for everyone to use the site the way they see fit. I love who I follow and comment to so I will read and comment for that reason only. I hope that is ok. Take care.
I don't have the time to do more then one or two of any member's discussions either, and I do not read nor do I comment on discussions that I view as negative or vents. But I appreciate your chiming in because that is what makes this topic so rich.
My thoughts? You really expect me to think at 5:30 on a Sunday morning? I really don't know. I don't 'follow' anyone, I just wander around and run my mouth here, then run my mouth there...I never keep track of where I am. I just go through the list, and if something grabs my attention, I say something.
Yes.....even at 5:30 on a Sunday morning. That made me laugh. The thought never really occurred to me that some people go on what grabs their attention. I know that the same holds true for me when I read a grouchy or venting title, I move past those pretty quickly. Same idea I suppose.
@XCasper (19)
well this is not the first time I'm hearing this. Some doesn't know how to give it back!
@miniam (9241)
• Bern, Switzerland
Missing discussions from time to time is ok, we ar all busy with things, but posting and never answering to those who take time to answer you is wrong. As l said earlier in a different post,because someone answers my post does not guarantee i will answer to their posts, if they have a discussion that does not interest me, i will not answer.l check all or any discussions, i like it l comment. If we only answered to people who answer our discussions,the place will be so divided and boring.Having said that, there are members i make sure to read posts from, dont find the post interesting to me, i move on.
@trivia79 (7914)
• El Segundo, California
honestly speaking, i don't interact regularly to those mylotters who followed me and whom i followed. it's not my obligation either. i just make interactions and conversations to whoever i want.
I have said in that discussion that I don't really mind if the people don't comment on my own discussion. I like commenting on other's discussions as long as I could relate to that or i could understand it. I don't do the give an take thing where they comment on mine so i should comment on theirs. If they're interested in my discussion then they comment and that's good that I could start discussing to them about that. If I comment on theirs and they respond to my comment then that's another discussion and I am fine with that.
@sgbrown (1644)
I really don't think these people are doing that intentionally. I try to immediately visit those people who have commented on my post. Once I have caught up on my notifications, I visit those I follow and look for interesting posts. Then if I have time, I will "explore" new or interesting posts.
I try not to worry about the ones who don't and, just focus on the ones that do.
@Daljinder (21199)
I am all over the place. lol The 'following' list doesn't show any of those I follow. It says "You are not following anyone".which is not true. So, whoever I come across on 'Their discussions' under 'Follow', I visit them. I always make sure that every response I receive has been replied back.
@mom210 (6711)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I know what you mean, I have a couple people I follow, I have commented on several of theirs and they have commented on one of mine. In fact a lot of the time, I go to my following page, and just start working down it, that way I am sure to get everybody. I do have to admit there are discussions that I have no idea what to say and I do miss some by some people that put out a lot. I guess none of us can hit them all. This was an interesting post to read the responses to, I am glad you started it.
I know I can be guilty of that. I have so many notifications, I don't get the opportunity to go outside of those who commented on my posts. I respond and go to that person's profile and read and comment, and go onto the next notification until I'm finished with them all. If I have time, then I'll go to the follows or explore link at the top to find out what those I follow have posted. Right now, due to errors and watching TV for the past couple days, I'm way behind on notifications, and only just got into yesterday's notifications. I still have almost a hundred and it's going on 3 AM.