Into the Groovy #58 - "The Friends of Mr. Cairo"

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Today's Into the Groovy (#58) takes us to both England and Greece, where Jon and Vangelis hail from, respectively. Jon is, of course, Jon Anderson, vocalist for legendary prog-rock band Yes, while you might recognise synthesizer master Vangelis as the man who did the classic soundtrack for the movie Chariots of Fire. In the early 1980's, the two collaborated on four well-received albums, including 1981's The Friends of Mr. Cairo. The title track to that album is a synthetic homage to classic gangster films, as well as the stars of those movies. "The Friends of Mr. Cairo" reached #33 on Billboard's Mainstream Rock chart, and was, for awhile, a regular spin on Colorado Springs' local Album Oriented Rock FM. It's a fun, catchy tune. Maybe it was a bit of a surprise hit, but, it was Groovy enough to capture the ear of the listening public for awhile.
Jon and Vangelis team up for their second full LP, The Friends of Mr. Cairo. This is the title track. 1981
Scott I liked this a lot.Never heard of them.The video was very interesting.Thanks
Oh, you're welcome. I'm glad you liked it!
@teamfreak16 I did very much
• Walnut Creek, California
I did listen to a lot of Yes in my high school days, but I've never heard of this combination.
They also had a hit called "I'll Find My Way Home."
Another blast from the past. Anderson and Vangelis were a good match as evidenced by your selection.
They were. I wish they'd have kept it up. It would have been interesting to see what they might have come up with.