How do you make the most of time?

@CRK109 (14465)
We often hear that people don't have enough time to get things done. Where did the time go? Time is not on my side! What time is it, anyway? Time goes by quickly, we all know that. We see it in our own families. Blink and someone is gone. Blink again and another day is over. How on earth do we get anything done? How often have you wanted to stop time for a little while to get more done? Well, I can't stop time, of course. But I've learned how to get a better handle on it. When I get up every morning, I usually have a "To Do" list, even if it's only in my head. And then the distractions happen. And, at the end of the day, when I check my list to see what I've managed to get done, most of my list is still just sitting there. Until now. When my phone broke and I no longer had my built in alarm to warn me of things going on, I had to find another way. I don't have an alarm clock here, so I went online and found that there are many free wake up call systems. They can call you for free any time of day or night. They can be reminders to stop what you're doing and go do the things that need to be done! Today I set up two wake up calls to remind me to make phone calls at specific times to either check on something or to schedule something. In my busy day, I can easily forget. But when a phone call comes in, that makes me stop. And when I realize it's an automated call that I've set up, I know there is something I'm missing. I have a list where it's all written down and then I remember. And *check*, it's done! So I can read a book. I can go clean the bathroom. I can change the bed. And if my phone happens to ring during one of those times, I know that something else needs to be done at that moment, just very quickly, and then I can resume my day. Little bits of time captured before they run away from me. What are your tips for keep track of your time? -Claudia- image from pixabay
I lose track of time so easily and don't have any methods for keeping track of things. This morning my phone rang and I wound up talking to a friend for over an hour and everything else I had earmarked for that hour didn't get done. I don't regret my phone call but now I feel like I'm already behind in my day
You should have come up with an excuse to make the call shorter!
My day is usually all planned out. Not always the way I want though.
@CRK109 (14465)
I know. Life always has surprises for us! lol
When I was working as a caregiver we had lists for daily stuff and weekly stuff. I could come in and have everything done within two hours, except for the dishes after we ate. I need to find copies of those lists for myself. I do set a kitchen timer for telling me to change tasks. I am not doing as well as I used to. Of course there are days that are totally disrupted by other people.
@Drosophila (16719)
make a to-do list for the day then get it done
@CRK109 (14465)
In my last job, when I worked for the church, my boss, our Pastor, was a huge believer in making a daily "To do" list first thing in the morning and then working through it all day. And it was great training because I still do it today. Thankfully, my lists have gotten smaller! lol
@Drosophila (16719)
@CRK109 Defintely helps! There's also something satisfying with crossing things off the list. It always annoys me when someone say they are too busy to do a thing, tbh everyone is busy these days. Time is what you make it by prioritising and planning. We all have 24hrs a day, no one has more. So ya if you want to get something done it will be done. Lol sorry went off on a little rant there
@1hopefulman (27308)
Glad you found a way to get things done. I make a mental list and sometimes write things down and carry the list in my shirt pocket and check things off as they get things done.
@CRK109 (14465)
yep! that's how it's done!
@bwjsdems (498)
• New Zealand
I have a to do list with the most important things at the top - the rest can wait!
I haven't got any tips, and I rarely have anything urgent enough to do that would merit an alarm.
I try to make the most of my time by doing what I do right the first time so that I do not have to go back and redo it. And I find that doing it with a smile helps. But without my watch, I'm lost as I have zero sense of time passage otherwise!
I do use a timer a lot and especially when I am on the computer, so I don't stay too long in one shot. I get too stiff when sitting here too long.
Being retired, I do things as they come or need to be done. I'm good at sticking to my lists and schedules. I think I'm a creature of habit.
Those are some great tips. I set myself some goals daily.
@fishtiger58 (30346)
• Momence, Illinois
I am a time watcher always have been. I am retired so I don't feel to awfully frantic about time.
@gudheart (12752)
I find time goes by too fast lately so I don't manage to get enough done!
i'm a "fly by the seat'f my britches" kinda gal myself. there's very lil that i've got to tend't a specific time outside'f the critters feedin' time. trust me, if'n yer more'n 10 minutes late, they're hollerin' to remind'ja, lol.
That is very interesting. I don't have anything to help remind me to do something else.
I don't know that I have any tips really. I have a list in my head like you do. Sometimes I'll set the time and spend just five minutes tidying up and putting things away. Having the clock ticking inspires me to move faster. I try to do small chores while I'm waiting the microwave and if I'm going from one end of the house to the other I try to take stuff both ways.
@akalinus (14975)
You are confusing me. You wonder if the phone is ringing for a reminder, a telemarketer, or a stalker. Anyway, I would have a lot more time if I stayed offline and did not like to read.
I have both.Active Time and quiet time along with movie time and reading time.I do not have any time for myself
I use the list method. I do write a to-do list for every single day since I do enjoy the crossing off part the best!