An unexpected turn of events.

Greece
When I awoke this morning I planned a relaxed day with only the laundry to attend to. However, straight after breakfast my husband announced that he was going to take one of the dogs (Amy) to the vet. I decided to go with him and take one of the cats, Lucy, for her yearly injection which was overdue. I was needed anyway because the dog had not travelled in the car before and my husband had to give his attention to the driving and needed me to give mine to the dog. So off we set with the cat meowing in the cat box beside me and the dog trying to climb out of the boot into the car. We stopped, put the cat in the front seat and allowed the dog in the back seat with me where she settled better and just dribbled all over my jeans. The dog, Amy, was looking miserable and off her food. I did not think it justified an expensive trip to the vet but in the event I was proved wrong. She has Kalazar, a nasty disease resulting in a sand fly bite. It is common in southern Europe but unknown in the north. It can kill if unattended or if it has reached the kidneys or heart. Fortunately she was in the early stages. Both animals accepted the vet’s administrations without protest. We were there a long time during which the vet took a long call from a man whose dog had eaten rat poisoning. The remedy here by some cruel people to the abandoned dogs problem. Amy jumped out of the car with relief on arrival home. Lucy left the cat box with more enthusiasm than when we had attempted to put her inside it. Now she is asleep on the chair beside me and Amy will be lying on the grass in a shady spot in the garden. I have yet to attend to the laundry! Photo is of Amy (the small one) and her larger sister Greta when we first rescued them from where they had been dumped.
What sweet pups, they are adorable. This is the first time I've heard of Kalazar ..... I've also never noticed any sand flies around here but that could be because of this being a desert where it is dry and hot .... I hope the vet did not charge you too much for curing Amy.
That sounds awful @41CombedaleRoad Well at least she'll be ok once you're finally done with all the meds and tests.
i'm so glad that'cha took ms. amy to the vet 'n thus were able to catch that disease'n time. they're so cute :) the cat here'll disappear fer days when i take her in fer her shots, lol.
• Greece
They know what is going to happen when they see the cat carrier brought into the living room. My three are overdue but so far I have only managed to catch one and take her for her medicine.
@41CombedaleRoad bless yer heart...'n theirs. the cat here's disappeared, goin' 'n the 4th day now 'n i'm purty worried 'bout her. she zipped past the hubs'n pup that mornin' when he was goin' to work :( she'll not return with the neighbors pup here coz he barks't her 'n chases her... i might need to put him back'n his own yard tomorrow 'n see if'n she'll come 'round.
@41CombedaleRoad yes ma'am, she'd a major trauma with a pup when she was jest a wee kitten. she only tolerates the pup 'f mine 'n that e'en took nearly 4 years fer 'em to bond - not coz'f the pup, but the cat. she showed'p this mornin' when the hubs went out to feed the horses. he said she nearly climbed his leg, lol. was more'n happy to come back home. she's a bit thinner, but no scuff marks'r nothin'. i get tickled't her coz the front door (hole??) 's wide open. she'll dart passed such like's breathin' fire, lol.
Oh well, I guess the laundry can wait till tomorrow if need be and at least the pets needs have been attended to.
• Greece
so many pets can be very time consuming but we are committed so we do the best we can.
@41CombedaleRoad They are lucky pets by the sound of it.
Sometimes just a look can signal that a trip to the vet is necessary. Good thing you went.
• Greece
In this case it was a loss of appetite and the tail well between the legs. All out of character.
@41CombedaleRoad It's the change of character that is the biggest tip off. We know our pets (and our won bodies, hopefully), so we notice when things are not normal.
@sugartoes (39157)
• Greencastle, Indiana
cute pups you have there there are times when things have to be done & not over looked & call us away from other things we have planed glad the pets are in good health somewhat the laundry can be done any time
• Greece
Amy is on her medicine now and starting to eat better. Being one of 7 she does not get as much attention as she would like but she did enjoy all the petting when she went to the vet.
@Inlemay (16484)
• South Africa
Ahhh bless them and well done to you for getting them to the Vet in time. the laundry is a minor detail - loving ones dogs and the attention they need is vital - They cannot talk, so we must feel their issues through their eyes
• Greece
We are quite familiar with dog body language now, and going off their food speaks volumes...
Good thing you got Amy to the vet before it became a serious problem. At least the laundry is something that can wait!! Cute picture of your dogs
• Greece
they are both fully grown now but Amy remains a small dog although her mother was a German Shepherd. Her sister in the picture looks at least 76 percent German Shepherd, her ears are almost upright but her legs are not long enough.
@lilnana1111 (2344)
I've never heard of that disease, I'm glad you caught it early.
@mom210 (6526)
• Atlanta, Georgia
glad all went well at the vet, they are so expensive hope it was not to much
@Dragonairy1 (1415)
• Newcastle Upon Tyne, England
They're beautiful dogs, I'm glad that she will be ok.
@Marcyaz (35766)
Those are both lovely dogs and I am glad you did go to the vet and had this problem taken care of. Laundry can wait for another day.