No Cake for the Birthday Boy. Soft Molasses Cookies on the Way!

Tomorrow is my baby brother's birthday. A few weeks ago he said he had a hankering for some old fashioned soft molasses cookies. In years past I have made rice pudding, peanut butter cookies, or some other sweet that he really enjoys. This year, it is molasses cookies. There was a favorite recipe that I had used about 30 years ago. The cookies were soft and full of molasses flavor. I baked them at Christmas and other occasions and they were a favorite! Somehow, I lost the recipe. It was a recipe that I found in a magazine. I should have written it down and kept it in a file folder. The recipe is long lost. One day a client had me looking at her collection of recipes and said she wanted me to have them. That night I went through the recipes and was delighted to find a recipe for soft molasses cookies that reminded me of the recipe I had lost. So, tonight, I am off to the kitchen to whip up a batch of soft molasses cookies for my brother. It will be a surprise for him.
They sound nice. I don't know that they sell molasses in the stores here. I suppose they do but I've never looked for it. It would be in a stock food place.
I have several jars in my pantry. They don't go bad even though there is an expiration date on the label.
@ElusiveButterfly I can imagine it would keep for ages.
@JudyEv It doesn't crystalize like honey does. Remains sweet and yummy.
@mom210 (5800)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I have recipes I have pulled out of magazines, I should write them down before I lose them. A lot of them sit in a box I dig in about once a week to find something. I really need a better system
I have given up on recipes pulled from magazines. Most of them never get used. I have used many that I have found on the internet.
@mom210 (5800)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@ElusiveButterfly I love the internet for recipes, it is SO handy
@mom210 I still love my old recipe books too. I refuse to get rid of them.
Ohh I hope that this recipe winds up tasting just like the old recipe you used to use. I would be so sad if a beloved recipe got lost!
After looking at it again, I am not 100% sure it is the right one. This one says you need to roll them out and use cookie cutters. The recipe I used just had you scoop it out by teaspoonfuls and place them on a cookie sheet. Nothing on the internet I have found does this either.
@ElusiveButterfly Sounds like they may be more stiff if they are to be cut out with cookie cutters. Try just making them by dropping them as teaspoonfuls anyway and see how they turn out.
@shaggin If I don't refrigerate them I can drop them. I am going to give it a try.
He will be delighted with the surprise you made just for him! They sure do sound good!
Haven't made them in a long time. I of course will have to sample them to make sure they are edible.
@ElusiveButterfly But of course! Sampling is mandatory! And fun too.
@Corbin5 I put off making the cookies until Friday. He will be happy to get the rice pudding I am making for him. Almost done!
I hope his birthday was special. I know what you made! Lol!
He was delighted. He saved it for today.
A yummy surprise I know he'll appreciate and savor.
He loves his cookies!
I hope it tastes like the one you lost!
I am worried that it isn't. Although, it does come close to what I had. Most of the recipes I have found don't use as much molasses as this recipe.
My Mom used to make delicious molasses cookies. I read in your next posting that you did rice pudding instead.
Yes, I am making the rice pudding right now. The molasses cookies will have to wait until I have the energy to make them. The pudding I can put on the stove and walk away. Cookies are a bit more involved.
@MGjhaud (20810)
thats a yummy idea, im sure he will be happy.
He is easy to please.
Oh what a lucky guy! what a great sister you are!!
I try to do what I can do. Sometimes they get a pie.