Unable to drive..am I a failure?

@millie02 (6908)
United Kingdom
Here in the UK we seem to be living in some sort of `car culture' , it seems like these days you are looked down on if you do not have a car. I did take driving lessons when I was about 19 but I knew even then that I was not really interested in ( or any good at ) driving. I did not even get as far as taking my driving test and I have not wanted to drive since. Now it seems like I am the only person who does not own a driving licence and when I tell people this, I feel they are looking down on me because they think I am stupid or something.
It is a shame if this is the case. My son lives in Melbourne. He used to drive but doesn't any more. He gets everywhere he needs to be by public transport.
@millie02 (6908)
Do they have good public transport where he lives?
but what if he wants to go out of town, like on a weekend nature trip?
@millie02 Yes, they do. He is quite close to the inner city and is perfectly happy without a car.
@topffer (33799)
• France
Maybe are you ahead of your time ? Many cities are making the life of car owners difficult nowadays, and are encouraging people to leave it. I am moving in a half pedestrian street where it is not allowed to park a car, and I will sell mine soon...
@millie02 (6908)
Many of the towns near us have become pedestrianised recently.
@topffer (33799)
• France
@millie02 You see, you would have to leave your car soon, and you would be frustrated like I am. You are definitely not a failure.
@millie02 (6908)
@topffer Thank you for saying so.
@Macarrosel (7573)
Maybe you have to try getting driving lessons again so that you know how to drive. Nowadays, it's really important for us to know how to drive. I know how to drive when I was young and until now I drive our car if my husband is not available.
@millie02 (6908)
Maybe I should have another try at it.
@millie02 Go for it. How I wish I can help you and teach you how to drive for free.
Like you,I haven't own a driving lience.I have a littel fear of driving,and I'm not intersted in driving.
@millie02 (6908)
I think I would be scared if I had to start driving now. The roads are so busy nowadays.
@millie02 Yes,I think ride a bike or electric vehicle is easy.
@millie02 (6908)
@BirdSongs I rode a bike when I was young. I would go for miles on it.
I am also don't have the interest of driving. But it doesn't make me less individual. It would be more convenient to be a passenger than stuck in a traffic with my car.
@millie02 (6908)
Being stuck in traffic can be really awful.
@millie02 I can nothing to say but to agree more. It is easy to walk away if being stuck in traffic.
@millie02 (6908)
@Shavkat Being stuck in traffic can add hours to a journey.
@Marcyaz (35693)
Driving is not for everyone and just because you don't drive does not mean you are stupid. People need to keep their opinions to themselves and not look down on others.
@millie02 (6908)
I think so too because people can be very nasty at times.
@Marcyaz (35693)
@millie02 Yes some people like to make themselves feel superior.
@millie02 (6908)
@Marcyaz I suppose they could have a personality disorder.
@puddleglum (1418)
You shouldn't have to apologize for your preference not to drive. I'm not a great driver. I spent several years in New York City, where a car feels like a liability because of traffic and exorbitant parking fees, so I got accustomed to taking public transport. Now, I live in a place where driving is important, but I probably wouldn't drive if I had the choice.
@millie02 (6908)
It is a pity that you have to drive, is this because there are no public transport services where you live now.
@millie02 There's not really transport from where I live to where I work. I'm getting used to it, though. Maybe one day I'll move back to a large city where walking is acceptable and transit is available.
@bondot (43)
• Jakarta, Indonesia
Dilemma like this is a lot to feel a few people in different cities. A good idea to ignore it. You could just look for the reason that it does not really matter if you can drive a car.
@millie02 (6908)
I feel like it does not matter, but some people are horrified when they find out I cannot drive.