who's eligible for Social Security ?

@sugartoes (32296)
Greencastle, Indiana
Well you know we're fixing to get a NEW president to rule or RUIN our lives once again we have Clinton, Sanders, and of course Trump if you have been keeping up with who's saying what about this topic who do you think has the better out come of it on making it right? I'm 58 yrs old my husband is 70 he has his S S disability coming in & as well as his Va income now you might think that's great right? well I'm here to tell you it's not yes it helps & it keeps us going BUT MOST of that money is bills that come out of BOTH of the checks. We get AROUND 1.200 a month total and it takes everything we get to make ends meet NOW what I'm wondering is what IF he dies on me then WHAT? where will that put ME in life? will I be able to survive on what they give me or will it be enough? from what I'm hearing & thinking it's not going to be near enough cause if you watch this video it sounds like I'm not going to be able to do anything to make ends meet like I need them to SPECIALLY if we don't have the place paid for before he pass's away on me We're paying 500.oo a month on this place & we have another ? yrs to go before it's paid off & if something happens to him before it's paid for I won'tr be able to make it on what they give me PLUS buy food & pay the utility bills & tax's I can't stop thinking about this.
Should I retire now at age 62 and collect Social Security benefits, or should I wait until full retirement age? Answer: There's no right time to begin collec...
@Marcyaz (36138)
I retired at 62 but wish now I would have waited a little longer but since I wasn't working I decided what the heck. I make enough to live reasonably well. We never know what is going to happen though. I understand you can't put anything away but that seems a low amount for both VA and SS.
@sugartoes (32296)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@Marcyaz it is we struggle every month like today is payday so I gotta get my head in the right place to deal with what we CAN'T do like we do EVERY MONTH
@Marcyaz (36138)
@sugartoes I understand that some bills will have to wait until next month.
@sugartoes (32296)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@Marcyaz no we manage to get them all paid each month but that leaves up VERY LITTLE FOR ANYTHING ELSE
As a widow, you should inherit your husband's SS.That's what happened with my mother. Remember, SS wasn't designed to completely support a household but as a supplement.
@sugartoes (32296)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@JohnRoberts yeah but what he gets if something happen to him will be cut in 1/2 so I just pray that we don't have nothing happen any time soon to either one of us
@CRK109 (14381)
It's a huge problem. When my husband passed away, I could no longer afford our home on my social security. I'm bringing in less than what your husband is getting now and I barely get by every month. So I'm very nervous about any changes they are planning to make.
@sugartoes (32296)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@CRK109 that makes 2 of us as it makes me on edge
@CRK109 (14381)
@sugartoes It's not fun, that's for sure. I just got into a situation where at least I can make it through a month without too many problems. But who knows what further changes there will be.
@sugartoes (32296)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@CRK109 yeah it's gonna really suck for a lot of people if something happens we're not expecting next year we done went what 2-3 yrs without a raise now?
@ilocosboy (28039)
same case in our country, hope this one is also the priority
@sugartoes (32296)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@ilocosboy from what this guy is saying we ALL need to think about what's a head for us & how we're going to make it if something happens to our spouse's if they have one OR if their not old enough to apply
• Riga, Latvia
@sugartoes right now in Latvia I'm not even eligible for any pension. I worked for 8 years in the US so I have to find out if eventually I am due something. The pension they pay here is peanuts so we are constantly strapped for cash.
@sugartoes (32296)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@RasmaSandra OH I know how that goes the same thing here with us but we manage with the best we can each month so there's NO fun spending or splurging ti's tight every month just paying the bills we have
@Daljinder (19540)
I have no idea about Social security. The pension here is good for people working for any of the government sectors. But for civilian in cases of widow, it is not much. Rs. 1200 INR which would make it $ 17. This is nothing!
@sugartoes (32296)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@Daljinder 17$ is ALL you get a month? omg I don't get how people live on that income UNLESS things are cheap to buy there which I DOUBT.
@Daljinder (19540)
@sugartoes There is difference in currency. lol A rupee is cheaper than a dollar. So, yeah things can be bought for a single person. But still it is more like a pocket change.
@sugartoes (32296)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@Daljinder I know how that can be
I hear social security will eventually go bankrupt.
@sugartoes (32296)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@Tampa_girl7not as long as we have people working cause so much of THEIR money goes towards S S